The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 21, 2017, 11:35 AM   #26
T. O'Heir

"...on the slide/barrel..." You don't want your finger there when firing a live round. Left handed or not the slide will bite you.
"...Jack Ruby used that method..." Ruby was also less than 10 feet from Oswald. And Ruby used a revolver.
Old June 21, 2017, 05:13 PM   #27
Doc Holliday 1950

Sorry. I keep my finger below the slide on the frame. It figured that one out but incorrectly stated it in my original post.
Thank you for bringing that to my attention.

Doc
Old June 24, 2017, 05:55 AM   #28
rodfac

Quote:
Doc, don't get hung up on the this named style, or that named style. Any of which are only important to the self appointed gun expert that think it is the only proper way to shoot. Try what ever feels right to you. The "experts"aren't shooting your gun with your hand
Good points, Cheap. I concur. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old June 24, 2017, 11:33 AM   #29
tipoc

I think mostly we shoot with the "trigger finger" because it's usually the strongest and most sensitive finger for this type work (try shooting a wheelgun fast with the "up yours" middle finger and see how quickly it goes wrong). Also we've been building guns, long and short, to use the index finger for a long time.

It's the alternate name for the index finger. There is a medical condition, an inflammation of the tendons that's called "trigger finger". Etc.

But try it and see how ya do.

Maybe one day you'll accidentally shoot half your index finger off and have to use the "up yours" finger (I believe that's it's actual medical name for the middle finger isn't it, maybe in Latin though?). So let us know how you do.

tipoc