The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old September 14, 2005, 03:20 PM   #1
NKP.Phil

Looking for info/value of a Marlin Varmint King

Hey gents, I'm trying to find out more about a Marlin rifle from about the mid to late 1950s. I'm going to sell it eventually, but not without knowing more about it. The markings on it are as follows:

On the receiver:
• SAKO Riihimaki No 357XX (and two marks I don't recognize) (also, the ":" that you would expect to come after the "No" appears between the N and the o - I can't type that here or it just turns into a smiley face)

On the barrel:
The Marlin Firearms Co. New Haven,Conn.USA
• CAL.222 REM. MICRO-GROOVE BARREL
• MARLIN VARMINT (pic of a crown) KING (this line in gold)
• STAINLESS STEEL

Underside of the bolt handle:
• (357XX)

I'm not sure how you rate condition, but the blueing is all there and the checkering is sharp. The gun has obviously been used, but overall it looks great. I'll attach some photos.

Thanks in advance for any info!

NKP.Phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg left side s.jpg (197.2 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg right side s.jpg (179.8 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg scope and magazines s.jpg (207.5 KB, 56 views)
Old September 14, 2005, 04:10 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Marlin Model 322 Varmint King was made from 1954 to 1957 says Blue Book. The action is a Finnish Sako L-46 and the barrel is Marlin Microgroove as labeled. I figure Marlin made the stock, too, what with the white line spacers and Marlin "bullseye" inset. Stock style and barrel taper are Americanized even compared to some of the pictures I could find, I'd say it was one of the later guns in that short production run. I have read that barrel accuracy life was short, that the Microgroove rifling did not last long at 3000 fps.

Condition appears excellent and value will be substantial, extra magazines and Sako scope mounts are not common. I could not find one for sale on the Net and Blue Book prices are just ridiculous so I can't give you a dollar number.
Old September 14, 2005, 07:49 PM   #3
NKP.Phil

Thanks

I appreciate all the info I can get, thanks for your help.
Old September 17, 2005, 02:55 AM   #4
T. O'Heir

"...Blue Book prices are just ridiculous..." Book prices are beyond ridiculous. It takes at least two years to publish any book.
NKP.Phil, how well does it shoot? Being able to give personal documentation with a given factory load, pick one, will enhance its marketing. If it shoots well enough, you might just change your mind about selling it.
Old September 18, 2005, 10:44 PM   #5
NKP.Phil

It shoots great

T. O',

It shoots great, last time I shot it it suprised me, with factory ammo. I never have reloaded for it. I probably would do eactly what you suggest - reconsider - if I did that much accuracy or varmint shooting. But I mostly hunt elk and deer with bigger guns. My son seems a little interested in keeping it, but if he lets go of the idea I'll probably sell it.

I'll take your advice, and record some groups with good factory ammo, and publish photos if I do decide to sell the gun.

Thanks for your good thoughts.

Phil
Old September 30, 2005, 12:56 PM   #6
Redstick

For What It's Worth...

The last two I seen (within the last 90 days), went for $400.oo and $450.oo.
The Blue Book lists 'em at $550.oo at 100% grade. Hope that helps ya some.
Redstick