The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 22, 2017, 06:26 PM   #1
Mattj4867

CZ Bobwhite

Hi all, i am looking for a decent sxs shotgun around $600. I ran across the CZ Bobwhite and done some research on it. The engraving and case hardening are nice to look at. I have a few questions. On CZ's website, it states that the bobwhite has a black chrome finish other than blued. Is a blued finish any better? And are the guns any good? I am open to any other suggestions.
Old June 22, 2017, 09:17 PM   #2
Creek Henry

I have shouldered a couple and they feel nice. But reviews on them are erratic,,some good and some bad.
Old June 23, 2017, 06:23 AM   #3
ligonierbill

I have one in 20 ga, and it shoots well. Compared to old Ithaca (have a 1921) and Hunter Arms (have my Dad's 1937 'Fulton') boxlocks, it's a little clunky. But if you want elegance in a new sxs, add a zero to your price point. Overall, I think it's a good value.
Old June 23, 2017, 11:56 AM   #4
CockNBama

My CZ is Ringneck, not a Bobwhite, but I really like both models. For the money, the Huglu-produced CZ's can't be beat.
Old June 23, 2017, 12:06 PM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

Friend of mine has either a Bobwhite or a Ringneck 20.

They're nice, they handle well, and they look good.

I was seriously considering getting the same gun, or a very similar one in 28 gauge, until I lucked into a very good price on an excellent condition Stevens 311 20 gauge from the 1950s.

I've not wanted one of the CZs or a 28 gauge since.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 23, 2017, 12:31 PM   #6
Model12Win

They are Turkey shotguns. That is to say not necessarily meant for turkey hunting, but made in the country named after the kind of bird named a turkey. Good guns for the money.
Old June 23, 2017, 01:53 PM   #7
FITASC

Quote:
case hardening
TRUE case "hardening" or just chemically treated case "coloring"? There IS a difference as true bone and charcoal case color hardening is not a cheap process.

CZs are made in Turkey by Huglu in the region known as Huglu. There are several major makers in the area (like Val Trompia in Italy or Eibar in Spain) and quality can vary from one to another, or even within one company depending on price point. One thing you WILL want to check is barrel regulation. Many times, one barrel might shoot high left with the other spot on or somewhere else. Fit is also critical for a SxS to shoot well (and not give you the dreaded "cheek slap")

Good luck with your quest!
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 24, 2017, 05:20 PM   #8
dgludwig

As referenced in a recent thread, Cabela's is selling the CZ-USA "Teal" model, with a 28" ventilated barrel, in either 20 or 12 gauge for $599.99; a couple of hundred dollars less than their "regular" price.
Old June 24, 2017, 11:50 PM   #9
NateKirk

Never had one, but have considered getting a CZ shotgun in the past.

I have learned through much research that a general consensus of whether they are good or bad cannot be found on the internet.

I would say, if you have the spare money to spend, buy one and try it; you may get a good one. Otherwise, if you're trying to fill a specific purpose rather than just want a new gun, go with something more proven.

― --Thomas Jefferson
Old June 25, 2017, 07:11 AM   #10
FITASC

Quote:
I have learned through much research that a general consensus of whether they are good or bad cannot be found on the internet.
Depends where you look.....
Some folks get good ones, some need to send them back for repairs....
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa