The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 18, 2017, 06:07 PM   #1
johnm1

Winchester Butt Plate

Can someone measure their crescent butt plate on any of the following Winchester models? Crescent buttplate for Winchester models 1873, 1890, 1892, 1885, 1886, 1894 and 1895. Length, width, length of tang, thickness and approximate depth of curve.

FYI these Winchester models have a butt plate that is similar in shape to the Colt Medium Frame Lightning. There is a reproduction replacement available for Winchesters that as long as the casting is larger than what I need may be able to be fitted to the Lightning.

Here is a link to the part.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/517...l-in-the-white

This may be a long shot but the Lightning Butt Plates are being sold for over $100. Reproduction works for the rifle I'm working on.
Old June 18, 2017, 10:24 PM   #2
JT-AR-MG42

Only measurements applicable (of the models listed) I can give is an '86.

L- 4 5/8" tall
W- 1 3/8" wide
upper tang- 2 1/2"
depth of crescent- 3/4".

The '86 butt plate has a recurve to it on the bottom of the toe (that is sort of a flat spot) to protect the toe of the wood stock.
My '86 is a first year and has a butt plate identical to my '76.

The picture shown does not have that recurve, so it might be for later 86s.

Hope the numbers help.

I would personally buck up for the original if I could check it for fit and/or return it otherwise.

You could contact Midway about whether you will be able to heat and bend the repro.
I mention this because it looks to be a casting and I cannot gauge the quality of it.

JT
Old June 19, 2017, 04:46 AM   #3
johnm1

Thank you JT. That is very helpful. I expect the replacement part is cast aluminum but would ask before I bought. There isn't a recurve on the Lightning. It would just have to be oversized so it could be shaped to fit.

I'm trying real hard to not put a ton of money into this restoration. The barrel was cut and replacements are non existent unless I want to pony up for a new made barrel. And I don't. That and the pitting on the receiver and barrel take this one out of the collector realm.

Again, I appreciate the measurements.