The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 16, 2017, 10:36 AM   #26
damo450

Fixed choke.
Old May 16, 2017, 11:35 AM   #27
FITASC

Quote:
Then use that as the barrel on it now is a 28" 3" Mod. I doubt it will cycle light loads. That may be my best option. Or at leas the most economical! What say you all?
It might or might not - try one box of the light load you are contemplating using and see if it works. I own Beretta gas guns (A400s) and mine will always cycle my reloads which are 3/4oz in 12 gauge - (REALLY soft on the shoulder).
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 17, 2017, 11:27 AM   #28
BigJimP

A fixed Mod choke will serve you pretty well overall.../ I shoot a Mod choke for Trap singles from 16 yds ...and back to 20 yds.

90% of the time for sporting clays I will shoot a pair of Mods in an O/U...but will occasionally switch to an IC or an Imp Mod in one barrel...once in a great while I will shoot a Skeet choke or a Full choke. But that is entirely dependent on the course...and every course is different.

Mod choke is too tight for Skeet..an IC might work ...but a Skeet choke is better.

Most 5 stands I have seen ...an IC or Mod will work fine.
----------------
If I were shooting a gun with only one barrel...I would tend to overchoke it a little vs under choke it ...so I would stay with a Mod...90% of the time..

If you keep that gun clean and properly lubed ...it may shoot the light loads / but it isn't so much the amount of shot in the shell ( 7/8 oz, 1 oz, etc ) ...its more about the velocity...as long as its up around 1200 fps, it will probably be just fine.

A semi auto with a 28" barrel is about the same overall length as an O/U with 30" barrels....so there is nothing wrong with the 28" barrel.
Old May 19, 2017, 12:16 AM   #29
damo450

I bought one!!!

Went to
Scheels today and they bought my beretta. So I went and bought a gun I've been drooling over for quite some time. A Sig Sauer T25 Aurora. I paid $1400 which I believe is a great price on a great gun. Thanks for all the help on this one. I tried to upload pics to no avail
Old May 19, 2017, 04:38 PM   #30
FITASC

Rizzini made nice guns for Sig; enjoy!
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 21, 2017, 07:40 PM   #31
Rob228

Time to start making piles of empty shells.
Old May 23, 2017, 07:39 PM   #32
AKexpat

Quote:
Who was advocating littering? I can eject them right into my hand and reload fast enough for flushing birds, without leaving a mess.
My goodness, you must be really good!

I have used a Remington 870 Wingmaster for years, both with a 28" full choke vent rib barrel for trap and a 26" IC vent rib barrel for skeet.

LOL, my best shot was using a field grade Win Model 12 16 gauge 28" barrel full choke (my dad's gun as I was on leave from the USAF at the time in Nebraska). The pheasant was a long #4 station skeet shot and I hit it at 65 yards, paced off by a friend of my father's who could not believe that it went down in a puff of feathers. Lucky shot but a good lead.

And I did not care if I could eject empty hulls in my hand. I guess I left a mess.
To be governed – is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censured, checked, valued, enrolled – by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom, nor the virtue to do so. - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
Old May 23, 2017, 08:51 PM   #33
deserted

I rarely shoot trap, but it reminded me of a time when, Wednesday evenings, I'd hike across the Umpqa River on the railroad trestle out of Winchester and shoot with the local club there. I was always just in it for fun, using the first shotgun I ever owned, and the only one I had, an old, brown, single shot Iver Johnson w/hammer. Outshot a lot of guys with Brownings, Berettas, Perazzis, Remingtons and Winchesters with that old $25 gun. Rode around in the bottom of a canoe for years, and I killed my first goose with it, too, lots of ducks, trained a couple of good dogs under it, and it just loved to shoot quail. It's a wall hanger now, after one of my renowned attempts at gunsmithing. Still shoots, but you have to hang onto the hammer until you're ready to fire, then just let it go. So it stays on the wall until I can find that darn screw...

Last time I shot trap I used a Remington 1100 3" full choke. I was pleasantly surprised with the results.