The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old December 17, 2016, 02:02 PM   #1
dubsRedhawk

Thoughts on Gemtech Outback II 22LR silencer

I can basically have an almost new Gemtech Outback II silencer and the Ruger 10/22 it's attached to if I just do the NFA paperwork. Just trying to figure out if it's worth the hassle. I will get the rifle no matter what and I already have another stock barrel for it.

The issue is just how effective the suppressor is. I shot the gun with standard super sonic ammo and couldn't believe my dad would spend so much on a suppressor and the stamp for such a little sound reduction. That was before I understood the need to run subsonics through it. I have not shot the rifle with the subs so I don't know just how quite it is.

Any experience on this little guy out there?
Old December 17, 2016, 05:58 PM   #2
Theohazard

I haven't seen one of those in a while, but they are pretty quiet cans if I remember correctly. They're not going to be as quiet as some of the newer cans out there like the ACC Element II or the Dead Air Mask, but the Outback II should still provide fairly decent sound reduction. Now that you know to use subsonic ammo when shooting a suppressed. 22 rifle, you should be good to go.

If I remember correctly the Outback II uses aluminum baffles and isn't user-serviceable, so cleaning it is going to be pretty difficult. Unless it's the newer user-serviceable version, which means you'll be able to take it apart for cleaning.

It sounds from your post like this can will be free? I say go for it: It should provide good performance and if it's the non-user-serviceable version it will still last for thousands of rounds before performance starts to degrade. For just the $200 tax stamp, it seems like a pretty good deal.
Old December 17, 2016, 10:13 PM   #3
Mobuck

Doesn't the transfer have to go through a Class 3 dealer or is that just to cross state lines?
As for maintenance of the "sealed" rimfire cans, I've heard a sonic cleaner does the trick.
Old December 17, 2016, 10:26 PM   #4
TMD

A free can and only have to pay the tax stamp. Can't go wrong. I will say they are addictive and before you know it you'll have a stack of stamps.
Old December 18, 2016, 01:08 AM   #5
raimius

Yes, worth $200.
Also, you don't have to use it on that gun, if you want it for something else.
Old December 19, 2016, 04:24 PM   #6
hknut

A friend of mine who has several Gemech's commented on how much quieter my SWR (now Silencerco) Spectre was over his Outback.

Walk softly and carry a big SIG.
Old December 19, 2016, 04:33 PM   #7
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobuck
Doesn't the transfer have to go through a Class 3 dealer or is that just to cross state lines?
No dealer needed if it's a private intrastate transfer between residents of that state. Of course a Form 4 still needs to be filed, but no dealer needs to be involved; the seller just keeps the silencer until the tax stamp comes back.

As always, I'll emphasize that this is federal law; obviously state and local laws could change things.
Old December 19, 2016, 07:23 PM   #8
Chainsaw.

Absolutely worth it. With out a doubt.
Old December 19, 2016, 09:29 PM   #9
Sgt Pepper

Definitely worth it. I have an Outback IID, which can be disassembled for cleaning if desired. I have found mine to be ridiculously quiet even on my Ruger 22/45 Lite. Subsonic ammo and heavier rounds work more quietly than the supersonic and lighter rounds, but even those are quiet enough that I can discharge one near others who will never ever look in my direction. I refer to it as my tactical stapler.
Old January 5, 2017, 11:36 PM   #10
Engineer

Even though I have quite a few rimfire suppressors, I still consider the Outback II to be a good performer. It's small, light and works remarkably well.

Is the model you are looking at a sealed model or one that can be taken apart (II-D)? If it's the former, do you know how many rounds have been put through it? While it can be sent in for an upgrade to their G-core for $250, a new GM-22 can be had for about $50 more.

So in short, if it's a II-D model, jump on it. If it's an older model that hasn't had too many rounds through it (you said it was 'like new'), I'd still go for it. I would only hesitate if it was an older model that had bricks and bricks of ammo put through it.