The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 6, 2023, 11:47 PM   #1
pgb205

When selling what should I get besides $$

will be taking my un-wanted firearms to a gun shop.

The store is located in a different state.
What should I be getting if they decide to buy?

1. Cash/Check? Or does it matter?
2. Bill of sale on company's letterhead? Should it include the serial numbers or just make/model of the guns sold?
3. Copy of NICS check?

anything else?
thank you
Old November 7, 2023, 02:00 AM   #2
armoredman

When I sold guns to a gun shop the only thing I got was a receipt, but I live in gun friendly Arizona. I also rarely sold guns to a gun shop as that was the fastest way to get the absolute lowest offer on what I had to sell. Are you allowed to sell privately where you are?
You mention out of state - are you shipping from one FFL in your state to that FFL?
Why would there be a NICS check going TO an FFL?
Old November 7, 2023, 10:38 AM   #3
MTT TL

I put mine on consignment when I want to sell. The shop gets 20% I get the rest.
Old November 7, 2023, 11:22 AM   #4
pgb205

the point is that I want to sell the whole collection in one go, not be bothered with individual gun sales, as it's probably not worth my time. I'm bringing the guns to the store, it's just located in different state. I just would like a bill of sale on company's letter-head as a proof. Hopefully with serial numbers recorded.
Old November 7, 2023, 01:39 PM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

When I have sold guns on consignment, the shop gave me a receipt that listed the make, model, and serial number of the firearm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgb205
the point is that I want to sell the whole collection in one go, not be bothered with individual gun sales, as it's probably not worth my time. I'm bringing the guns to the store, it's just located in different state. I just would like a bill of sale on company's letter-head as a proof. Hopefully with serial numbers recorded.
I would not walk out of the store if the receipt does NOT list the guns by make and serial number.
Jeepaholic
Old November 7, 2023, 02:27 PM   #6
reddog81

1. Cash/Check? Or does it matter?Are you afraid of the check bouncing? Most businesses prefer to use checks over cash for record keeping purposes.
2. Bill of sale on company's letterhead? Should it include the serial numbers or just make/model of the guns sold?Whatever you feel comfortable with. I've had shops give details and others that don't. The shop will have to record the transaction in their books, so anything crazy that happens will have a paper trail even if you don't have the records.
3. Copy of NICS check? I'm not sure what this means. You're not going to run a NICS check on the gun shop and I'm not aware of them needing to run one on you

anything else? Know the realistic trade in value of your guns.
On a $1,000 gun they aren't going to offer you $900. Don't be surprised if the initial offer is closer to $500.

I have a local shop that will take a 15% consignment fee which ends up being a much better deal than selling the guns to them but you have to wait until they sell to get paid. And that $1,000 gun will get offers of $800 to $900 bucks which means you'll pocket somewhere around $680 to $765 versus selling to them for $500 to $600.

Last edited by reddog81; November 7, 2023 at 02:36 PM.
Old November 7, 2023, 06:32 PM   #7
dogtown tom

pgb205 will be taking my un-wanted firearms to a gun shop.

The store is located in a different state.
What should I be getting if they decide to buy? Money.

1. Cash/Check? Or does it matter? Most likely they'll give you a check.
2. Bill of sale on company's letterhead? Should it include the serial numbers or just make/model of the guns sold? They didn't sell you anything, you could give them a bill of sale for what its worth. The check they give you is proof they paid you.
3. Copy of NICS check? No such thing. Never has been.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old November 7, 2023, 06:35 PM   #8
dogtown tom

Quote:
Aguila Blanca When I have sold guns on consignment, the shop gave me a receipt...
OP didn't mention selling via consignment.

Quote:
I would not walk out of the store if the receipt does NOT list the guns by make and serial number.
Pffft.
When you sell guns all you really need is the $$$$. If you don't already know those serial#'s its on you.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old November 7, 2023, 08:59 PM   #9
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogtown tom
Quote:
Aguila Blanca When I have sold guns on consignment, the shop gave me a receipt...
OP didn't mention selling via consignment.
Doesn't matter. When I turn the firearm over to the FFL, it's an incoming transfer for him, the firearm gets entered into his bound book, and it's no longer in my possession. His giving me a receipt listing the make, model, and serial number is my proof that I transferred the firearm to that FFL on that date.

It wouldn't be any different if the FFL purchased the firearm outright.
Jeepaholic
Old November 7, 2023, 09:20 PM   #10
FITASC

Be prepared to be offered about 50-60% of their value doing it this way. Depending on the quantity and value of the guns involved, contacting an auction house like Rock Island or similar may be a better choice to realize more money in your pocket.

You might also look at a store credit or having them put them on consignment to realize more of the value
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 8, 2023, 11:12 AM   #11
pgb205

I'm not interested in consignment just selling outright.
FFL *might* have a record of having purchased the firearms from me, but it's not helping me if I have cops on my doorstep asking questions. I want a proof of having sold the firearms to a specific store on a specific date.

PS: Unfortunately the store I was talking to came back to me saying that they dont have anything to give the customer; either letterhead or even a receipt with the guns' serial numbers.
Old November 8, 2023, 12:09 PM   #12
reddog81

In the one in a million event the police come asking, you tell the police you sold the guns to the shop. They aren't going to do anything to you. They'll leave and go ask the shop. The police probably aren't going to even consider asking for proof. There's no reason for the police to harass someone who sold guns to an FFL.

If they give you a check just write up a summary of the transaction with all the details. I could print a fake letter head from any company given 5 minutes...
Old November 8, 2023, 05:04 PM   #13
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgb205
PS: Unfortunately the store I was talking to came back to me saying that they dont have anything to give the customer; either letterhead or even a receipt with the guns' serial numbers.
So how about you making up an inventory list with makes, models, and serial numbers listed, and at the bottom put a statement that the FFL received the above firearms on ____ data, with a space for his printed name, signature, and FFL number?

If he's not willing to even sign a document that's already made out, I wouldn't deal with him. I would definitely want a document I can take with me that shows to whom my guns went, and when.
Jeepaholic
Old November 9, 2023, 01:33 PM   #14
Metal god

When I first read the OP, I was thinking something completely different than what we’re very good suggestions throughout the thread . I wasn’t thinking receipt, documentation of each firearm, etc.. I was thinking primer bullets powder lol . Then I see the OP wants to get rid of the whole collection which makes me think he’s not going to shoot Firarms anymore therefore, no reloading equipment needed or he inherited them and just trying to get the money they’re worth out of them .

The out of state idea seems odd to me, but maybe he lives right on the border or something . I’m also assuming because it’s going to an FFL? There’s no interstate commerce issue with Firarms in this instance ?

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .