The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 31, 2023, 10:37 AM   #1
Prof Young

Traffic stop and CC . . .

I've wondered what happens if you are carrying and get pulled over for a traffic violation. In Illinois, you don't have to tell the officer you are carrying unless he asks. Also, in IL, when they run your driver's license it indicates whether or not you have a CC permit.

So, I got my chance to see it all in action. Did you know that if you speed to pass someone on a two lane road, you are still speeding in violation of the speed limit? Okay, Yeah that makes sense. Anyway I got pulled over while I was carrying. I kept waiting for him to ask if I was carrying and . . . it never happened. I was kind of disappointed.

On the other hand, I only got a warning. Life is good.

Prof Young
Old October 31, 2023, 01:48 PM   #2
rickyrick

When I first got my license in Texas, I was told that you must disclose to the officer that you are carrying.
The few times that I did get pulled over, I informed the officers and they didn’t really care, one thanked me for carrying.
Old October 31, 2023, 01:50 PM   #3
bamaranger

me

I've stopped a lot of cars in my work on a scenic parkway. I always preferred the driver to declare a firearm rather than me observe/discover it resultanlty. My immediate reaction was "Why did he not want me to be aware of his gun" and thus I became immediately more suspicious and "tactical" for want of a better phrase.

Producing the license and his CCP resulted in my question of "where is the gun now" and "OK, don't handle it", and usually, that was that. My own practice has been to declare the firearm to the officer and produce the paperwork at the same time. BTW, I don't get stopped THAT much
Old October 31, 2023, 01:50 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof Young
Did you know that if you speed to pass someone on a two lane road, you are still speeding in violation of the speed limit?
I knew that. I have always known that. Not sure why you might have thought otherwise, but at least the cop didn't shoot you just because your permit showed up on his computer screen.
Jeepaholic
Old October 31, 2023, 01:52 PM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrick
When I first got my license in Texas, I was told that you must disclose to the officer that you are carrying.
This definitely varies by state. Anyone who doesn't know what his/her state requires should consult www.handgunlaw.us
Jeepaholic
Old October 31, 2023, 02:08 PM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Did you know that if you speed to pass someone on a two lane road, you are still speeding in violation of the speed limit?
Of course speeding above the posted limit is always "speeding". BUT, its depends where you are if that is a traffic violation, or not.

It varies, state to state. Where I live, one can exceed the posted limit, while passing another vehicle, and its not a violation, provided, once you pass and return to your lane, you resume speed at the posted limit.

There are many different little "quirks" in traffic laws, varying state to state that many people don't know, or do know, and don't follow, unless forced to.

In my state, if you are doing less than the posted limit, and there are five (5) cars behind you, you are required to pull off the road at the next safe location that allow it (shoulder of the road does count) and allow them to pass.

Considerate people will do that. Many won't. Actually saw a guy get a ticket for not doing that once, when one of the cars behind him was a police car. Its rare, but it can happen.

Some places have laws that place a "duty to inform" on the motorist. Some don't. I don't see where informing an officer about lawful CCW is a bad thing. Sure, some "underprofessional" officer might overreact. Its a risk, though I think a small one.
Old October 31, 2023, 06:38 PM   #7
DaveBj

I have determined that if I am ever pulled over while carrying, I will include my permit with my DL, registration, and insurance information. The officer[s] are free to ask or not ask whatever questions they wish.
Old October 31, 2023, 07:16 PM   #8
jonnyc

In PA, you are not required to disclose your carry status to the Po-po. Hasn't happened...yet...but I plan to have my permit at-hand in case I have to exit the vehicle. If I'm just sitting and talking I see no need to complicate the situation.
Old November 1, 2023, 12:42 PM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

The point about not declaring you are (legally) armed to the police when the law doesn't require you to do so isn't about your "right" as much as it is about your responsibility.

What I'm talking about is the citizen's responsibility to do their part to avoid and prevent misunderstandings when interacting with civil authority.

IF you don't inform the officer, and he then later discovers you are armed (permit or not), you have damaged or destroyed his trust in your honesty.

Reactions vary as much as individuals, but these days is seems over-reaction to protect officer safety is a common course of action.

Remember that the only person who knows you are a good guy is YOU. When you do something unexpected (like surprising the cop with a gun in the car, or on your person) when there was no need to do so is simply a very poor idea.
Old November 1, 2023, 01:54 PM   #10
ballardw

Might find out that if you have an actual license that the officer may know that from the generic call when making any traffic stop.
Old November 1, 2023, 03:40 PM   #11
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP
The point about not declaring you are (legally) armed to the police when the law doesn't require you to do so isn't about your "right" as much as it is about your responsibility.

What I'm talking about is the citizen's responsibility to do their part to avoid and prevent misunderstandings when interacting with civil authority.

IF you don't inform the officer, and he then later discovers you are armed (permit or not), you have damaged or destroyed his trust in your honesty.
While I have made a personal decision that I will declare I am carrying any time, even in a state that doesn't require it, that's just because it's easier than trying to remember whether or not it's required. Frankly, a police officer should know what the law is in his/her state, and if the law does NOT require me to inform an officer I'm carrying, then it doesn't say anything about my honesty if I follow the law and don't volunteer that I'm carrying. Any officer who makes a judgment that I'm being dishonest because I followed the law IMHO shouldn't be a police officer.

On the other hand, I have read reports of officers who got their knickers in a twist because they stopped someone who had a permit but WASN'T carrying, and they didn't inform the officer that they had a permit. AFAIK, there is nothing in the laws of any state that requires a person with a permit to inform an officer that they have a permit but that they AREN'T carrying.
Jeepaholic
Old November 1, 2023, 04:16 PM   #12
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Any officer who makes a judgment that I'm being dishonest because I followed the law IMHO shouldn't be a police officer.
Can't say as I disagree with that. But like the rest of us, every officer is a unique individual, who will make their own judgements, right or wrong, often based more on feelings than just pure logic.

You may be totally in the right, but if for some reason the cop thinks you were trying to trick him, in some way, that's the way he feels. Shouldn't be that way, but lots of things in this world shouldn't be the way they are.
Old November 7, 2023, 11:50 AM   #13
Prof Young

Yeah . . . .

See that's the tricky part. Suppose I'm pulled over and in the first bits of information I give the LEO I declare that I'm carrying. Does he take that as a courtesy from me or a warning from me or a boast or . . . what?

I assume the IL law that when he asks you must declare lets the individual officer handle the situation any way he wants.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old November 7, 2023, 01:37 PM   #14
Aguila Blanca
Staff

The officer can always handle the situation as he/she sees fit.

That's why if you're going to inform, be careful how you do it. Just saying "I've got a gun" is probably not the best approach. In some places, your permit will show up on the officer's screen when he runs your tag (assuming you're driving your own car), in other places it won't. So he may or may not already know you have a permit, but he can't know if you're actually carrying.

What I have decided as my preferred course of action if pulled over is to just leave my hands on the steering wheel, where the officer can see them. Once he approaches, I will inform him that I have a license to carry, that I am carrying today, that my drivers license is in my left rear pocket, my carry permit is in my left front pocket, my registration and proof of insurance are in the glove box, and my firearm is in a holster on my right hip. "How do you want to proceed, Officer?"

Since I carry 1911s, cocked and locked, and most cops won't know how they work, if the officer asks me to get out of the vehicle so he can take temporary possession of my firearm, I will ask if he is familiar with how a 1911 works. If he is not, I'll suggest that for BOTH of our safety it might be better if he allows me to remove the gun and holster from my belt and we just leave it in the holster, wherever he wants to put it temporarily, rather than risk an accidental discharge while he tries to unload a firearm he doesn't know how to use. (If there's anyone reading this who doesn't already know, you cannot rack the slide on a 1911 with the manual safety engaged. That means to unload the round in the chamber after dropping the magazine, it is first necessary to disengage the manual safety. The trigger pull on a police Glock is typically 8 to 12 pounds (depending on whether they use the NY1 option). A proper 1911 has a trigger pull weight of 5 pounds or less -- mine are all between 3.5 and 4.5 pounds -- and a comparatively VERY short trigger travel.
Jeepaholic
Old November 7, 2023, 09:30 PM   #15
FITASC

Florida is a state where preemptive notification is not required.
Nor is my CCL tied to my license or my license plate.
As to speeding, that's what a radar detector is for...............
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 8, 2023, 10:13 PM   #16
Lurch37

During my concealed carrier class in Nebraska, they told us if stopped, to put our hands on the steering wheel and to inform the officer if you were carrying, then follow his directions. Now with Constitutional Carry passed I'm not sure if this is still a requirement or not.

I do think our plates are tied to our CCL so once they run that they would know, I think, not 100% though.
Old November 8, 2023, 11:28 PM   #17
Cirdan

Not sure exactly what NV law says about notice, but I know the CCW is tied into the DL, so if the officer runs your license, they will know about the permit.

I don't always carry (because I have to go back and forth to CA most days), but when I do, and get stopped (rare), I do tell the officer. I don't say anything when I'm not carrying.

The one time I did get stopped and was carrying the trooper just asked me where the gun was (without moving my hand towards it). Didn't seem to bother him. FYI, I always roll the window down and keep my hands on the steering wheel before they approach the car. I also never store a gun in the glovebox where my registration and proof of insurance are.
Old November 8, 2023, 11:59 PM   #18
armoredman

I'm one of those people who figured out the number one way to get out of any moving violation - obey the law!
However...when my wife discovered she had breast cancer back end of December, we kind of lost track of a few minor items, like my vehicle registration. About a month ago we were coming back from another appointment, and picking up a pizza, when I got lit up. I wasn't speeding, so I was slightly curious, maybe my license plate light went out again or something stupid like that.
Arizona is a duty to inform IF asked in an "official contact:, but I haven't been pulled over in MANY years, so I wasn't 100% on how to proceed. When the officer came up to the window, I kept both hands on the wheel, and when he asked for my DL, insurance and registration, I said, "Sir, before I move my hands, I wanted to inform you I have a CCW permit, and I am armed."
He asked where it was, I told him, and he said, "OK, don't show me yours and I won't show you mine."
I got a verbal warning, and we took care of it as soon as we got home, (discovered HERS had expired also, oops), and the whole thing was quick and painless...though when the SECOND cruiser pulled up behind him I got a teeny bit nervous.
I think my driving record got me cut a break - my last ticket was 32 years ago...oh, and we were told last week that it looks like the cancer is in remission.
Old November 9, 2023, 08:29 AM   #19
WmMunny

I forgot to renew my car tag so the sticker was the last year's color. While driving on a busy four lane road with no shoulder, an alert cop noticed it and lit me up . Rather than stop in a traffic lane, I put my signal on, slowed and pulled into the next shopping center entrance.

I opened my window as he approached and placed both hands high on the steering wheel. He asked for my license/registration and I said before I start reaching, I want to let you know I have a concealed cary license and have a pistol in a holster on my right side. What do you want me to do?

Go ahead and get your wallet he said and I did. He asked if I knew why he stoped me and I said I didn't. He said your registration is expired. Damn, I said-- you're right, I flat forgot to renew it.

He then asked me why I pulled into the shopping center rather than stop immediately on the roadway. I said for safety-- less risk of you getting clipped or me rear-ended.

Then he asked me why I told him I was armed and I said again, for everybody's safety. I didn't want you to be alarmed if you saw my gun and start reaching for yours. He said OK and took my license back to his cruiser, ran my info and came back to my window.

Your record is clean he said but your registration is definitely expired. I appreciate how you handled the stop so instead of citing you, I'm just going to just give you a warning.

I told him I really appreciated that-- then drove to the nearby tag office, renewed my registration-- though did have to pay a $15 late fee. Cheap enough!