The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 25, 2023, 03:20 PM   #1
DaleA

Million Dollar Idea-Robo magazine loader

My friend with the Kel-Tec 5.7x28 P50 pistol that has the goofy 50 round magazines says we should take it out shooting again as he recently got a deal on the ammo. ($70 for 150 round bulk pack of Fiocchi at Palmetto State Armory.)

I suspect he’s invited me along just to load up those bleeping 50 round magazines. I thought to myself it’s too bad none of my UpLULU magazine loaders work on these magazines and then the light bulb went off.

Remember these guys from Boston Dynamics?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn3KWM1kuAw

How tough would it be for these guys to produce a magazine loader? I envision it as two arms coming out of a fixed box (about a one foot cube) and you could just put your magazines and a box of ammo in front of it and tell it what you want. Like, “Load three of the mags with 10 rounds each and the rest to maximum capacity.”

The Boston Dynamics ‘Right to Keep and Bear Arms-Arms Robot’ ™ would take it from there even loading those P50 magazines.

I see the market for the RTKABAAR to be every gun range in the country and maybe even gun stores too. You could bring in your magazines, buy your ammo and have it loaded up on your way out.

For really cheap stores and gun ranges they could make a coin operated RTKABAAR where you’d have to put in a couple quarters to have your mags loaded up. I could see a LOT of folk doing this just to watch the machinery at work.

My thumbs would REALLY appreciate this.

Last edited by DaleA; September 25, 2023 at 03:29 PM.
Old September 25, 2023, 05:31 PM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

well, other than giving the anti's another thing to regulate as an "ammunition feeding device" it might be a good idea.

Best to make a version that reads cards or phones (both) along with a coin op one. Despite my wishes to the contrary, it is the 21st century....
Old September 27, 2023, 07:22 AM   #3
DaleA

One step further

On seeing what I had posted the phrase "Robo Reloader" came up and I immediately thought to say it's a magazine reloader but then the light bulb went off again and I thought why not?

The two robot arms are there, put it in reach of a press with some polished brass, some lube, a box of bullets, a box of primers, a jug of your preferred powder, the reloading dies and let it go to town.

Just say,
"Load me up some 200 grain, lead SWC, .45 ACP with X grains of Bullseye."
or
"Check the components in front of you and load me up some target ammo with the emphasis on accuracy."
or,
"I'm hunting Elk in Montana, see if you can make me up a load for that with the components in front of you. Call me on my smart phone if there's a problem or heck, just go online with Midway and order the components needed."

It would check the bar codes on the containers, check your request against published safe loads and go to town.

Just by picking up the cases and bullets it would measure them and make sure they were within tolerances for length, diameter, weight. It would toss out any Berdan primed brass and check each case to make sure it was using compatible primers. No problem if you had a mixed batch of .45 ACP brass some needing small primers and some needing large primers, RoboReloader would either set aside the offending case or grab and use the correct primers.

Possible problems would be if somebody put different powder in a container or different primers in a box so the component didn't actually match up with the bar code on container. Don't know how it could check that the actual powder matches the container bar code or the difference between standard and magnum primers but that's for RoboReloader 2.0.

(Geez. And it isn't even April 1st...)

Last edited by DaleA; September 27, 2023 at 07:29 AM.
Old September 27, 2023, 12:57 PM   #4
JohnKSa
Staff

Like these?

Butler Creek AR Platform/M16 ASAP Electronic Magazine Loader

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-...ader/p/1647318

AR-15 MAGAZINE LOADER

https://magpump.com/products/rifle-m...agazine-loader

9MM LUGER MAGAZINE LOADER
https://magpump.com/products/handgun...agazine-loader
Old September 27, 2023, 05:05 PM   #5
DaleA

Well yeah, those have a place...partly because they really exist...but RoboReloader is MUCH more versatile than those because (since it's a made-up thing) its mechanical hands can reload ALL rifle, pistol and shotgun magazines.

Besides, those reloaders are hand powered. I'm sure RoboReloader is going to be wind or solar powered (or maybe steam). Plus I'm confident AI is going to fit in some where.

And let's not forget that the whole impetus of the project was to load those gosh darn 5.7x28 P50 magazines that require that thumb destroying quarter turn to seat each round. RoboReloader with its titanium thumbs will be up to the task for a mere jillion times the cost of the real reloaders.
Old September 27, 2023, 05:41 PM   #6
JohnKSa
Staff

The last two are hand-operated, but the first one is electrical. You load the rounds in the hopper, put the magazine in and press the start button.

But it only works with one kind of magazine...
Old September 28, 2023, 01:44 AM   #7
DaleA

Thanks for post about those magazine loading tools. I didn't know they existed until your post.

I think it would be fun if my favorite indoor range would get them. I have no idea if they would turn out to be a 'good thing' for the range or not but I'd be interested in how many shooters would take advantage of them...probably would depend on if they were a free service or a charge for each mag.

As you no doubt know I'm having some fun with this topic but I appreciate you bringing these magazine loading machines to my attention.

I learn a lot from this site thanks to folk like you willing to share what they've found out about firearms.

After posting here someone showed me an actual P50 magazine loading tool.
It's made by Custom Smith MFG and is about $35 and they gave me a link to this ad for it on Youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrSJux6oIQw
Old September 28, 2023, 12:04 PM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I think it would be fun if my favorite indoor range would get them. I have no idea if they would turn out to be a 'good thing' for the range or not but I'd be interested in how many shooters would take advantage of them...probably would depend on if they were a free service or a charge for each mag.
IT might be fun, some people might like it, but not like to pay for using it.

And, then there's another attitude you might run into...
"You want me to put MY magazines and MY ammo through YOUR machine and PAY you for it too??"

Next point, IF anything screws up, who's on the hook? Consider this, suppose during the loading process, somehow a bullet gets pushed too deep, creating a dangerous pressure situation. The machine loads it any way. The machine doesn't tell you there's anything wrong. You take loaded mag and go shoot and gun goes KA-BOOM!

Who's at fault, now? And, (just as important) how do you figure it out??
Old September 28, 2023, 12:16 PM   #9
DaleA

All very good points that a practical person would have to consider.

However it would help to keep those lawyers off the streets with their 'Will Sue For Food' signs.

I'll just chalk it up to another thing my dream range would have which would include a lane or two with reactive targets (spinners probably), a chronograph lane, a Ransom Rest for rent, an Olympic level rifle and pistol for rent, brass catchers on each lane, clean restrooms, etc. etc.
Old September 29, 2023, 11:20 PM   #10
Jim Watson

The rental range here has a powered AR magazine loader but it is only for their guns, mags, and ammo, not a customer service.

When one of those corporate team building parties wanted to focus on the P90, the whole staff was busy loading those little things barehanded.
Old November 5, 2023, 12:02 PM   #11
Oldrifle

To be quite honest, until your message, I had no idea they even existed. Regarding those magazine loading tools, I appreciate your post.