The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 29, 2013, 12:07 PM   #1
Wyoredman

Missouri Bullet 135 gr Whitetail #2 in .30-30

Has anyone used the Missouri Bullet Co.'s 135gr. Whitetail #2 bullet in their .30-30?

I just purchased a box of them and can't find any lead boolit data for a 135gr lead bullet w/o gas check.

I was wondering if anyone else has some experience with light for caliber, non-gas checked, .30-30 lead bullet loadings.

If not, can you point me to some published data. I have Lyman's 49th and Lyman's Lead Bullet manual, but nothing listed for 135gr.

Thanks ahead of time.
Old April 29, 2013, 03:54 PM   #2
LE-28

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/arch.../t-122805.html
Old April 29, 2013, 04:11 PM   #3
Wyoredman

LE-28

Thanks, but I am still confused. I get a cast boolits thread that suggests 2400, but leads to nothing published.

someone in the linked thread suggests the Hodgdon data, but I think that data is for jacketed bullets only.

The Lyman manuals do not have data for any similar bullet. I purchased them already.

Anyone else have any published info for these 135 gr boolits.

Thanks again.
Old April 29, 2013, 04:58 PM   #4
Boomer58cal

Missouri bullet doesn't give load data for their products. Their website says to use your powder manufacturers load data or find a manual that covers a very similar bullet.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer58cal; April 29, 2013 at 04:59 PM. Reason: can't type worth beans
Old April 29, 2013, 05:56 PM   #5
LE-28

Your right about no published data in the manuals. I checked all of mine plus searched the web and didn't find anything but what I linked to.

I'll do some more looking on the web but I doubt I will find anything in a published reloading manual especially without a gas check.
Old April 29, 2013, 07:24 PM   #6
PawPaw

Quote:
If not, can you point me to some published data. I have Lyman's 49th and Lyman's Lead Bullet manual, but nothing listed for 135gr.
That's because you're outside of the common bullets for that caliber. I've got some loads for 115 grain, non-gas-checked bullets, but they're very light. I call them possum loads, because I loaded some and they'll roll a possum into a ball. Velocity on the nature of 800 fps, and I'm using Unique.

The thing is, you're really limiting yourself with a non-checked bullet because it's really hard to push a non-checked bullet over 1500 fps without leading the barrel. So, with that 1500 fps top limit, you're pretty much down into the specialty loads. No one publishes specialty loads, so you're pretty much on your own. However, a good starting point might be Paco Kelly's Small Charges in Standard Cartridge Cases.

If you want to play with cast bullets, and get an appreciation for how versatile the .30-30 is, you might want to get a copy of the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. Lots of good information there.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old April 30, 2013, 09:20 AM   #7
Wyoredman

Paw Paw and others,

Thanks for the info. I do have a copy of the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook and have read it cover to cover several times. Thanks.

I was thinking that these bullets might work good for target shooting and just plinking for my daughter.

I guess I will just start experimenting. Thanks again.
Old April 30, 2013, 11:11 AM   #8
histed

If you subscribe to Handloader magazine, they had an article about lead in the 30-30 couple of issues back. If your're interested, I can look it up when I get back to the house and see what they said.