The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 1, 2002, 01:39 PM   #1
chaim

Another guy thinking about starting reloading

I am just starting to think about getting started with reloading. I am probably about 6mo to a year away, I have a tendency to research thoroughly before I start something (the impulse purchases usually start once I'm into a hobby, though you never know). I have picked up a copy of Lyman's "Pistol and Handgun Reloading Handbook" and I have a few questions.

First, they give a good idea of the equipment I'll need but how do some of the different companies' products compare? Being a Lyman's guide they, of course, recommend a Lyman starter kit. I've heard of Lee. What are some of the other options and how do they all compare?

Cost of equipment is a factor. I will (hopefully) be going to graduate school next year. Also, I temporarily moved back in with my parents over a year ago and I'll be moving back out soon so I'll need to replace my sofa (had to get rid of it), bed/mattress (it wore out and I didn't replace it since I can use the guest bed at my parents house) and kitchen and/or dining room table (gave to my brother) in addition to my moving costs. So money is starting to get tight. I need a good quality but inexpensive starter kit.

Any suggestions? Should I wait until I can spend more and get higher end equipement or should I go with a starter kit from one of the manufacturers? I understand that once I start reloading ammo won't necessarily be less expensive.

Also, I want to start out with loading for one handgun caliber. I figure with one there is less chance for error. Also, I want to start with handguns since I hear that reloading for handgun ammo is easier than rifle ammo plus I shoot more handgun ammo. I have at least one gun in 9mm, .45acp, .357, .380 and I have a .40s&w coming. Which caliber should I start with? Are revolver rounds better to start with or auto? I want one easy enough for a beginner yet difficult enough that I'll learn. Cost of ammo is one reason to start but I also see it as one more part of the shooting hobby so that isn't my only consideration. Also, for my first caliber I don't care if I spend more reloading 9mm or .38s than I would to buy factory ammo as the point would be to learn reloading. Currently, I mostly shoot 9mm (with .38s out of my .357s being next) but that is subject to change- recently it was .45acp and with the CZ 40 coming soon I wouldn't be surprised to see .40s&w replace 9mm as my most shot caliber if I can afford it.

Last, how long can I expect brass to last? I see that brass is the most expensive component and I understand that it eventually needs replaced. Is there a rule of thumb as to how long to expect it to last or do you have to develop the ability to tell when it should be discarded? If you need to develop the ability to tell when to discard it what do you look for?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
Old June 1, 2002, 02:01 PM   #2
capbuster

Just a suggestion but you might consider first getting hold of a good quality press like the RCBS rockchucker. I think they run about $100. Perhaps putting it on layaway. This is a great investment which will last a lifetime. Then you can add the other necessary equipment. You can start loading with a set of dies,your press, and a powder scale and of course your components consisting of brass,primers,powder,and bullets. You will soon realize the real need of a powder measure and add this to your set up. This is pretty much how I started.
Old June 1, 2002, 02:50 PM   #3
jjmorgan64

If cost is an issue, look into the Lee turret press, less expensinve than most, and you can buy different heads to hold your dies. It will last plenty long enough for you to get out of school, and have a nice job to upgrade to a progressive.

I would start with the caliber you shoot the most, prefferebly 357 or 45 acp, as the more expensive rounds will show you a bigger savings more quickly.

Do not hesitate to use lead bullets, cheaper, in either of these rounds, (keep the velocity down in the 357 if you do though)

pistol brass will last just about forever, if you don't load full house all the time, still inspect it well.

Buy at least one more manual, prefferably speer, these will discuss case life well, and list wear signs to look for, with pictures.

JM
Old June 1, 2002, 03:04 PM   #4
sricciardelli

If finances are that tight, and you are a year off from buying any equipment, might I suggest you open a bank account just for your reloading funds?

This for two reasons...

#1, no sense in researching smoething now that you will not be buying for a year.

#2, if you put $20 a week in that account, you will have enough saved in a year to go first class and forget about the "el cheapos" available on the market. You only get what you pay for.

If you are intent on buying now, then go for the RCBS Rock Chucker Master Reloading Kit and the RCBS Accessory Kit. That will give you everything you need but dies, shellholder and components.

As for what caliber? That's totally up to you...which gun do you shoot the most?

Brass will live forever! I have 9mm, .38 Special, .357 Magnum, .44 Magnum and .45 ACP tht I have been loading since 1963...
Old June 1, 2002, 06:20 PM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I don't think I've owned a new loading press, ever. My present scale, even, is "good used". The only thing new I really prefer to start out with is the sizing die. Presses never wear out; scales can be calibrated quite easily, and all the other equipment is also hard to hurt--this side of total idiocy.

I prefer a carbide sizing die for all my handgun ammo, even though I clean and lube all my brass. I have a bunch of rifle die-sets I bought at gunshows. Heck, somewhere I have a set of old Redding '06 dies I bought as good used in 1950; they still work just fine...

My suggestion is to save up some money and haunt gun shows to see if somebody is selling his older stuff after upgrading, or parting with "estate items".

Unless you're doing a lot of full-length resizing of magnum rifle cases, a C-type press will give equally good results as an O-type.

Anyhow, read up on what's available in the way of miscellaneous "thingummie" tools besides the press, scales, powder measure and dies. Lots of handy stuff to make the process easier...

Art
Old June 1, 2002, 06:47 PM   #6
maxwayne

Lots of used stuff out there at good prices. I like RCBS and strongly recommend carbide dies. I have been reloading for almost 30 years and sometimes think that I prefer it to shooting.
Old June 1, 2002, 08:59 PM   #7

That is a good point about buying used. You would really have to work a wearing out a reloading press. I have never heard of anyone doing it. With that in mind, instead of setting a specific time frame for buying your gear, I would simply keep my eyes and ears open for a good deal. Research the subject and get a good idea of what is involved so that if something comes along, you will know if it is what you want and if the price is good. I have known several people that were given loading equipment. I have seen loading equipment at garage and yard sales. I see loading equipment in the newspaper classifieds. There is a ton of gear for sale on the internet. In other words, you never know when a really good deal might come your way. As has been mentioned, something made 20 years ago will probably be just as good as something made today, so stuff you see at garage sales or whatever will more than likely be fine.
I also recommend starting off with a good single stage press. The RCBS Rockchucker is a good one as is Lyman and Redding. This is high end equipment. I do use some Lee stuff. IMO, Lee has some great ideas but often the materials that they use to produce them is often lacking. They make some really inexpensive single stage presses, but I do know a guy that broke one. Lee replaced it at no cost, but ........... Everything centers around the press.
I personally would prefer to buy my dies new. It is possible to wear out dies, especially if the previous owner didn't clean his brass. Abrasive stuff will score the inside of the die. For handgun cartridges you will want to use carbide dies or something similar. I prefer Hornady and Redding dies. All dies will work, but those two brands seem to me to be the easiest to use and their quality is obvious.
Handgun brass lasts a long time. I regularly load brass that has the headstamp worn off of it. A good loading manual will tell you what to look for. Most of the time, if the brass is not suitable for loading, it is obvious; like cracks in the case.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old June 1, 2002, 11:10 PM   #8
Sisco

I started out loading 9mm with a Lee anniversary kit, I now load nine calibers with a Lee turrent, still use the single stage from the kit for rifle calibers.
Some swear at Lee equipment, some swear by it, but if you're on a budget it's the way to go, IMHO.
Pick up a couple of good books, Lymans 47th or Modern Reloading by Lee come to mind. You can find some deals on books & used stuff on ebay, but check new prices at Midway USA www.midwayusa.com or Graf & Sons www.grafs.com before bidding - I've seen stuff sell at auction for nearly new prices.
Forgot to add: I gleaned a lot of knowledge from The Firing Line - there's some good people hanging out here. There's a wealth of info on the net, I have some links if you need them.
Old June 2, 2002, 04:22 AM   #9
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Ditto used. Everything I bought brand new was used as soon as I pulled the lever first time - a consideration. You'll save money.

Buy carbide pistol dies. I'd recomend an RCBS master kit to start - at least those same basic components used, if not better, at least less expensive.

Depending what you shoot the most, that's what I'd gear up for. Everything will be cross-caliber except the dies. (Of course, your bullets, primer, powder will be somewhat caliber-specific just because different calibers use different components.)

Revolvers tend to be more forgiving than an auto cartridge, & .38 special? no better place to start.

Brass for semis tends to get lost before it wears out. I gave up recording .38 special brass at over 50+ reloads. Don't flare the mouth excessively, crimp only as needed & it seems to last a lifetime. I don't see why .357 mag brass, etc. shouldn't perform the same.

If on a total budget, maybe take a look at Lee's "pound 'em through" ~$20-25 total reloading kit. Couple extra equipment purchases that could get you into a pistol cailiber reloading for right around ~$35-40

Use TFL's experience to maximize what you can afford, what you want to do - no better resource I know.

Too, don't forget you've many a TFL bud & some may be local to you. You might be able to walk right into a close friend who has everything you need already, can help walk you through the learning experience/curve, minimal/non-existent expense re equipment except for the components.

Use your resource, chaim, & don't be shy. Likely it's all right at yoiur fingertip already.

Expertise, equipment, & free hands-on training - what more could you ask? Might be right there for the asking ....

( Sabot Shalom, y'all )
Old June 2, 2002, 07:38 AM   #10
Chief Jones

I started out with the Lee Turret Press kit. As I gained experience & $$$, I added other things...RCBS Case Trimmer, Lyman Measure, Lyman Scale, RCBS Rockchucker Press. I still use the Turret Press & Auto Disk Measure for handguns, but use the Rockchucker for Rifles. Use mainly Lee dies--the Factory Crimp dies are a good deal. If you need any info, feel free to ask.

Load safe,

Woody
Old June 2, 2002, 07:42 AM   #11
echo3mike

Another vote for used equipment...most of this stuff will last a couple of generations, if not more. You can usually find some decent deals on E-Bay , and periodically something will pop up on Gun Broker .

Personally, I started with a Rockchucker Master kit...thought it was a pretty good deal, and still do . Alot of the kits are good starting points, but they usually have one or two items missing, like calipers. The Lee Anniversary kit has most of the items you'll need to start, and it won't break the bank.

Do the research, decide on what you need first, then do the shopping. Sadly, there will ALWAYS be one more gadget you'll NEED, but the basic starting items, (press, scale, calipers, dies), should be first on the list.

You can always buy the extras when you have more money! Personally, I'm to broke to buy cheap stuff!

Regards,
S.

"Only Accurate Rifles Are Interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen

Por Libertate Patriae

TFL Alumni
Old June 2, 2002, 09:42 AM   #12
KP95DAO

Getting equipment.

You might check out local gun ranges or clubs. I have given away equipment which I no longer used to those who were serious about reloading. I am sure there are such people where you live. We reloaders know that only new reloaders will keep our hobby alive.
Old June 2, 2002, 11:18 AM   #13
Selfdfenz

I've been reloading a long time and used products from most manufacturers. Frankly I've found Lee carbide dies work well. The Lee carbide dies I use must be 20-25 years old and still make great relaods. I have some RCBS, Redding, Lyman dies but Lee is hard to beat for the $$$, performance or quality.
357 is a great cal to start with.
Just my opinion but you will have fewer issues if you crank up with a revolver cal as opposed to something for an autoloader especially while you are in the early stages of the learning curve.
I have a progressive press and use it a lot (good for lots and lots of the same load) BUT sometimes its just less effort to whip out a few rounds of this or that on the single stage press (same one I started on) and I bet most here will agree with that comment. Its easier to experiment with a ss press and fella if you already have that many cals now and get into reloading you are gonna be an experimenter sooner or later.
I will agree for the most with the buy used comments with one major exception

BUY NEW, CURRENT EDITION RELOADING MANUALS

and get all you can afford

Powders formulations change

If you want to get started with some part of the "tooling up process" at this time....get starded with the manuals ,read, read, read them and worry about the rest of it 6 months if you have too..
Lots of good technique tips can be found on the net (free) but I would cross reference and reloading data to one or more manual
JMHO
S-
Old June 2, 2002, 11:24 AM   #14
Sisco

Local library might be a good source for manuals etc.. If the books are old the load data may be out of date but general instruction and other uselful info would be worth reading.
Old June 4, 2002, 05:28 PM   #15
chaim

OK, originally I was thinking of dropping all the cash at once and going for a kit to start with. However, since I won't be starting right away I am thinking of picking things up piece by piece. That way it won't strain my budget so much at once so I can probably buy higher quality stuff. If I was to spend $100 this week would you suggest starting with a cheap kit with a cheap press and getting started or would getting a decent used press and waiting on the rest be better? How about if I'd do $200 in about a month on a better kit? I noticed that online I can get a Lee kit pretty cheap and for about $100 total have everything I need to start (kit plus brass and bullets) or for about $200 a better kit (top of the line Lee or budget kits from other manufacturers) plus brass and bullets. Right now my inclination (as I said) is to buy a few components at a time so I can get better stuff and be out less money at a time.

If I go with a kit it will probably be a Lee (I would probably start with this turret press kit , though I'd consider this single stage kit). What do you guys think of those options? Also, what do you think of the hand presses (seem like an option for those of us with limited space)?

Quote:
Its easier to experiment with a ss press and fella if you already have that many cals now and get into reloading you are gonna be an experimenter sooner or later.
I can guarantee that. In fact that is one of my reasons to get involved. I've tried all kinds of factory loadings and I want a little more variety. I love variety. That is why I love the .357 and 9mm chamberings so much.
Old June 4, 2002, 05:37 PM   #16
chaim

Oh, I almost forgot.

I noticed that on MidwayUSA for the Lee turret presses you pay about $10 more for auto indexing. What is that and is it worth the extra money?
Old June 4, 2002, 05:43 PM   #17
Jeeper

Go for used. If you are mainly doing pistol stuff I would consider getting a progressive press. I started on a rockchucker and now have that and a Dillon 650. I still use the rockchucker for all my rifle except 223 and 7.62 since I shoot a lot of that and don’t really care about accuracy. You should be able to find a good used press. I saw a Dillon 550 for $250 with one set of dies the other day. That is a good deal. I believe that everyone needs both a progressive and a single stage anyway. Buy a single stage and if you shoot a lot you will then buy a progressive. Have fun.