The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 26, 2007, 10:42 PM   #1
skynyrd1911

Stoeger 2000

Anybody had any experiences with this autoloader?
Old November 27, 2007, 10:00 AM   #2
ebutler462

I have bought 2 of them. One about 3 years ago. Another this year. The new style 2000 introduced this year is head and shoulders above the original. Stoeger either got tired of fixing the guns or they listened to customer complaints.

The new design has a high viz fron sight and higher rib at the receiver. The action is the same as the Franchi I-12. When Gun Tests Magazine made their comparison tests, they favored the 2000 over the I-12 because the I-12 jammed and the charge handle wouldn't stay in the bolt.

The 2000 got a "Buy It". The Franchi got a "Don't Buy It" due to the quality issues.

I have been very pleased with the new design 2000. It has not given me any problems. The old style didn't either but the new style is much improved in quality. Both are very reliable for me.
Old November 30, 2007, 09:53 AM   #3
Neanderthal

I have been hunting hard with my 2000 for about a year. It has been absolutely trouble free. Not one failure to cycle or fire, ever! They need some break-in, and also a Limbsaver recoil pad is a must, IMO. They are extremely simple to take completely apart, and stay clean longer than gas autos, by far. Also, the reason I own one is that they are affordable to anyone with a job. I would rather, and someday will carry a Montefeltro or M2, but my pockets are not deep enough right now. I suspect even after I get one of these fine Benellis I'll still hunt with my 2000 whenever conditions are tough, which is a lot of the time up here in North Dakota. My 2000 is synthetic stocked with a matte finish. After using it a lot, I think you would darn near have to hit it with a hammer or drive over it with your pickup to hurt it! Then the darn thing would probably fire fine, anyway. Obviously I love this gun. Ice, freezing rain, dirt. . . it just keeps on working!