The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old July 30, 2014, 12:40 PM   #26
g.willikers

Stun gun!
They're too close by then.
Get a cattle prod.
Or maybe put the stunner on the end of a walking stick.
In your situation, there's not going to be time for a second guess or risk getting knocked down.
Stay safe.
Old July 30, 2014, 02:08 PM   #27
Erno86

The dog that bit you...should be put under observation, to see if he comes down with a case of rabies, within a certain amount of days.

I've heard...a charging dog attack can be thwarted by waving your arms and yelling at the top of your lungs.

Another is...if the dog has bitten you --- and won't let go with his jaws --- Stick a finger up his anus.

--- George Orwell
Old July 30, 2014, 02:21 PM   #28
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
Another is...if the dog has bitten you --- and won't let go with his jaws --- Stick a finger up his anus.
Hmm. A novel approach but...

....I think I'd rather endure the pain and wait for the dog to get bored and let go...
Old July 30, 2014, 02:29 PM   #29
g.willikers

How about carrying some wine bottle corks to plug up their nose?
Old July 30, 2014, 03:47 PM   #30
mannyCA

In urban/suburban areas I've certainly "stomped" a threatening dog, it works. While upland hunting I usually shoot at their feet when I get some that charge. Usually the chargers are 2-3 and feeling brave.
Old July 31, 2014, 09:28 AM   #31
TailGator

Quote:
Thirty-two years in practice as a veterinarian, and never heard that one. As a fellow who has done his share of prostate exams on dogs, I can tell you that the target is quite a bit harder to hit than the quote makes one think. Grabbing a dog's tail or leg might make him let go of his hold in order to snap at your hand, but that might just change the problem rather than solve it.

One thing that hasn't been brought up in tactics against dogs is that a lot of dogs prefer to attack from behind. If you can get your back against something, you can keep the dog from circling, cut your area to defend in half, and just maybe discourage the dog enough to make him leave. Even when it isn't a total solution, it can be a step in the right direction and make other defensive efforts easier and more effective.
Old July 31, 2014, 09:51 AM   #32
g.willikers

My better half grew up with two dogs.
One big Shepard type and another small mutt of some kind.
They liked to team up on folks.
The big, scary looking one would approach from the front, and the little one would sneak up and nip them in the butt from behind.
Not hard, just a little nip on the fabric; it was just a game to them.
Good strategy, though.
Old July 31, 2014, 07:58 PM   #33
Mainah

I see threads here devoted to bear, coyote, wolf, and cougar attacks. I'm sure that's a threat to some, but dogs are a potential threat to all of us. The stats back this up. And I've owned dogs for over thirty years, I love them. But a lot of idiots own dogs too, and fail to train them.

A dog attack will happen fast. My advice is to have a set of responses ready, think about them and practice. Especially if you walk a dog, in my experience this makes you a bigger target for an attack.

And please report any attack to the authorities. Many local laws require a pattern of aggressive canine behavior before action is taken. Reporting an attack can help save kids and those who are physically vulnerable to dogs.
Old August 1, 2014, 01:14 PM   #34
maestro pistolero

The time to use pepper spray is early on before the dog bites. Once the dog bites it's game on as far as I'm concerned. At that point, I am treating it as a lethal threat. A well-placed dog bite into your femoral artery can be fatal.
Old September 14, 2014, 08:26 AM   #35
grizz223

Aside from my law enforcement duties the only two times I have ever drawn my CCW pistol have been on dogs. The first time I was walking my dog it was about 1am I had just gotten off work took off my duty belt put on my Glock 30 and took my dog for a walk when out of the corner of my eye I catch something black moving very fast. I turn to see a very large black dog running full speed at my dog. I yelled at it but it kept coming so I drew the Glock as soon as the dog coming at me saw my motion it stopped dead in it's tracks and ran away. I don't know if it understood what the gun was but I think it understood what I was going to do if it did not stop. The second time was right after I got home from work I took the dog out to do his business on a leash and the neighbor opened his door to help his girlfriend get the something out of the car when his Pit bull came charging out of his house and straight at my dog. His dog began to fight with my dog I tried to pull my dog away with the leash but it was not working out very well so I tried to push his dog off mine with my boot that's when his dog snapped at me. Now here's the fun part I'm in uniform my Duty weapon is a Glock 19 in a triple retention holster so now I'm trying to get my dog out of this fight and get him back into the house so I'm being pulled this way and that way by the dogs fighting I'm trying to draw my pistol out of my triple retention holster while trying to keep from being bitten. Just as my Glock clears leather the neighbor comes over screaming not to shoot his dog and throws himself on top of his dog and pulls it away just before I shoot it. Now before somebody say that I should not have gotten myself physically involved in the dog fight you are correct but I was in my yard with my dog on a leash where he was at a disadvantage due to the leash. Where my neighbor's dog had no right to be much less attacking my dog and I love my dog so while it may not have been smart I would do it again if another dog attacked my dog in my yard while he's on a leash. Now having said all that I love Dogs and never want to hurt them but sometimes you have no choice.
Old September 14, 2014, 08:41 AM   #36
kraigwy

My mail box is on the highway about a mile from the house. A couple times a group of dogs came after me while I got out to get the mail. They didn't get me, but I was able to get into the truck, though I had my revolver ready.

My concern is I often send my grandkids on a 4 wheeler to get the mail. I called the sheriff's officer, their response "shoot 'em" they don't do dog calls.

So I talked my neighbor (who is a deputy) into going to talk to the owners. He did twice, but that didn't stop the dogs.

So next time they came after me, I ended the problem by hanging the dead dog on the fence.

Did the same thing with a dog I caught hamstringing one of my horses. After hanging the dead dog on the fence, I haven't seen any in my pasture.

I'll not have dogs chewing on my grandkids or livestock.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old September 14, 2014, 10:49 AM   #37
skoro

Quote:
So next time they came after me, I ended the problem by hanging the dead dog on the fence.

Did the same thing with a dog I caught hamstringing one of my horses. After hanging the dead dog on the fence, I haven't seen any in my pasture.

I'll not have dogs chewing on my grandkids or livestock.
Good for you.

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.
Old September 14, 2014, 10:34 PM   #38

Friend's dog or not, if I get bit by a dog, I'm going to fight back. I have huge hands, which make for huge fists, and I've abused them over the years which make for no pain punches.

Believe it or not, dogs do not like getting punched on their snout or head. I know that from experience.
Old September 18, 2014, 11:58 PM   #39
Ruger9er

The guy next door (which is a ways but no fence) raises and trains pit bulls. Except he's lived there about 5 years and I've never heard any training going on. At all. So I never go outside without the pepper spray in my back pocket and usually pull it out and grip it 4-5 times a day, especially as it is yet another right handed product. I also have one of those tools that are a hoe on one side and a pick on the other, mattock maybe, permanently outside where the dog and I go.

My dog and I have already discussed that if it comes down to me or him with the pit bulls that he's on his own...
Old October 2, 2014, 09:07 AM   #40
baddarryl

I have a lawn business so I run into a few here and there. I hit a Chow one time with a 2x4 and it only made him mad!

There is a German Shepherd guard dog that I suspect is an old police dog that lives next to an account I do every week. That dog isn't afraid of crap and will bite. I tested him through the fence. The old tail is wagging so they won't bite is a lie. At any rate, if that sucker does manage to jump the fence one of these weeks which is possible there is no doubt I will have to draw.
Old October 2, 2014, 10:13 AM   #41
g.willikers

Quote:
Believe it or not, dogs do not like getting punched on their snout.
Ain't that the truth.
When I was in school, I had a part time job delivering mail.
One nice old lady always liked to meet me at the door to get her days mail.
She had an extra big boxer that accompanied her that was generally mild mannered.
But one day it decided it was a guard dog and I was the enemy at the gate.
It lunged at me, past the lady, with its big maw wide open.
So, without having time to think I just connected with a hard left straight on its nose.
The mutt went down like a sack of rocks.
No further trouble with him after that.
Old October 2, 2014, 11:17 AM   #42
zach_

That dog's owner is extremely irresponsible. Period. Nothing like a nice fat fine to get them to see the light. That visit would have ended there and then. The incident would have been reported as needed. The dog was protecting it's own. No need to punish the dog. Sounds like a good watch dog. Our dogs stay in cages when strangers come to the house. That includes answering the door to somebody the dogs have not met.
Old October 2, 2014, 11:27 AM   #43
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Firearms anyone? I have no idea why these doggie threads go South so quickly, but they do.

TFL is clearly about firearms, and this is clearly off topic.

Closed.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Closed Thread