The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 11, 2013, 09:11 PM   #1
shootalot523

cost savings

Just curious if someone can give some type of example or comparison of the savings when you load your own ammo.

9mm 147 grain FMJ $16 per 50
10 mm FMG 180 grain $31-36.00 per 50
45 ACP 230 grain FMJ $21-24.00 per 50
30-06 150 grain Federal with (barnes) $31-36 per 20

These are some of the typical things I shoot. obviously I'm not going to reload just 50, so how ever you can break down or give me a figure or percentage of savings that would be great. I also understand the benefit to reloading loads thta you can't buy, like for the 10 mm, which can be loaded hotter and ammo for IDPA and USPSA can be loaded to get the minimum power factor. I also would be loading HP pistol ammo for concealed carry purposes.
Again thanks to all you experienced re loaders. This forum is filled with a lot of helpful and knowledgeable guys. All advice is greatly appreciated, since i don't know anyone that reloads.
Old March 11, 2013, 09:34 PM   #2
rlc323

What you are asking is a pretty tough task without knowing your particular situation.

If you are taking into account the cost for a new press, dies, and necessary equipment you would have to add that cost to your totals. Sort of like depreciating equipment on a tax form, you have to ask at what point am I even with the equipment cost?

Beyond that, the cost of components is currently high. I know that to figure my own costs I have to ask myself do I figure the cost at what I paid for my components in the past, or the cost it will take to replace them currently?

There are several reloading cost calculators on the net that you can use to plug in your component costs and get a feel for your cost per round.

I have reloaded 12ga. shotgun shells for over 30 years and if I were to figure in my labor cost, I would probably never reload another single round. I reload because I like making premium rounds at bargain prices by spending my time.

I can give you one good piece of advice. Your carry gun should be loaded with factory ammo.
Old March 11, 2013, 09:44 PM   #3
Lost Sheep

Here are a couple of threads (with links to web-based cost calculators into which you plug the cost of your components). We can do nothing to help you calculate your savings without knowing the costs of your components.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=515022
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=508887

Lost Sheep

p.s. The advice about handloads in your self defense weapon is good, but it is opinion based on shootalot523's experience and perceived risk. There are others. There is a lot of disagreement if the superior reliability of your own ammunition vs factory is worth the (supposed) increast cost of defending a civil suit for extra damages caused by one's "hyper-destructive, extra deadly, super painful to my poor, suffering mugger client". Please don't let this thread get sidetracked too far down THAT road.

This calculator does not include the cost of the equipment, but is fairly simple to look at and to uese.
http://www.classifiercalc.com/misc_calcs/rc.php

Last edited by Lost Sheep; March 12, 2013 at 01:07 AM.
Old March 11, 2013, 09:58 PM   #4
justsoIcanupvotethis

Savings? They dont exist. Like rlc323 said there are a lot of costs involved with equipment that no matter what you get there is always something else you "have to have" or well I do anyway.
That being said, lets go with the fact that you cant just go get supplies like before all this madness set in. Outside of those costs and limitations, here is what I have experience with that you asked for.

9mm I use Rainier 147 grain HPs that I was getting for around 13 cents apiece. 3 cents for primer and around 1.5 cents a round for Unique. Thats 17.5 cents a round for cost (calling picked up brass free) or 8.50 a box for cost.

45 acp I use Rainier 230 grain HPs there as well. They run around 16 cents apiece. 3 cents again for primers and go wild and say 2 cents worth of 231 for a grand total of 21 cents a round. Thats for Hollow Points or well sorta anyway. They are plated and not at all JHPs by any measure but still I like em. $10.50 a box aint bad.

Big thing is its pretty tough to find bullets right now at any cost. Primers arent much better. My LGS has powder or did last time I was there.
Old March 11, 2013, 10:09 PM   #5
j357

About 50% of the prices you quoted, using quality components ordered in minimal quantities.

You need to consider that once you start reloading you will have an investment in equipment that will last you a lifetime. You will have a chance to spread the cost over many years and keep a valuable ammo supply on hand in times of short supply. You will also have an opportunity to become addicted to a fun hobby.

Reloading takes a certain level of dedication and attention to detail. If you dont shoot much and cant stand at attention for more than 10 minutes you are best suited to buy your ammo versus reload.

To put the required interest and attention level in perspective.... If you have not been inclined to brew your own beer, that neighbors will want, or own a boat which you personally maintain (insert additional time consuming detail or mechanical related past times) you might not want to consider doing this.

If you have the time, interest and attention to detail, continue researching and asking questions beyond cost.
Old March 11, 2013, 10:18 PM   #6
lamarw

I would say at least a half on 9mm and 1/3 on .45ACP since those are the two rounds you listed I reload. Of course my estimates are high since I did not consider more than one reload per once fired brass, but with amortization of reloading equipment it is probably close to actual overall cost.

This is if you don't discount the enjoyment of reloading which offsets labor cost.

Since you shoot a lot, the cost savings will grow and grow as long as you can find reloading components at reasonable cost.

Last edited by lamarw; March 11, 2013 at 10:23 PM.
Old March 12, 2013, 12:35 AM   #7
chris in va

I'm gonna offer a slightly different perspective.

You buy a $30,000 hybrid car to get another 15mpg. The cost savings will almost certainly never be realized within ten years of ownership.

You buy a $3,500 car that drives fine and gets 35mpg. Within a year you recoup the cost of the car AND it's paid off.

I am the second scenerio. My entire reloading setup costs about $150 including a couple die sets. I've reloaded many thousands this way. A box of 50, 45 acp runs me about $5.

Bottom line, no need to blow $600 on a reloading kit to save a few bucks a box.
Old March 12, 2013, 02:41 AM   #8
BrokenBottles

I disagree with that Chris, to an extent anyways.
Depending on how much you shoot, those couple of dollars per box add up quickly.
I keep trying different calculators but this is the one I keep coming back to.
http://www.realguns.com/calculators/...stsavings.html

I'm buying 50 packs of new manufactured 357mag for about 26-30 bucks. Reloading with middle of the range stuff I can get the price down to about 13-16 bucks a box of 50. After figuring in the price of the equipment I bought, it would take something like 900 rounds to break even.
Now having cheaper ammo tends to mean you shoot more so the money saved gets eaten up by replacing the consumables(powder, bullets and primers namely).
Then once you start reloading multiple calipers, the savings gets past from one thing to another since you can sometimes double on things like powder and primers.
Old March 12, 2013, 07:36 AM   #9
grumpa72

You can really get the numbers down if you reload AND cast your own. I am still casting bullets from salvaged lead out of a local range. So, my only cost is primers and powder for 9mm and .45 acp.