The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 3, 2012, 10:39 AM   #1
blincoln

Thoughts on Century Arms AR's?

Hello,

I went to the Tanner gun show in Denver over the weekend to browse... I came across a local shop that was selling an AR Carbine built out almost completely (no optics or sights) for a good price. The manufacturer is Century Arms.

My question is - Whats the story on Century Arms in terms of quality?

This assembly was probably $200-$500 less than I have seen with "trusted" manufacturers, which would seem to answer my question for me, but I thought I'd check...
Beretta 92FS, Beretta PX4 Subcompact .40S/W, Colt LE6920, Remington 700 .222, Mossburg Maverick 88, EAA Windicator, Ruger SR22, Ruger 10/22, Weatherby Vanguard S2 7mm, Sig Sauer P238, Walther PK380, Savage Arms Stevens 555 20 Gauge
Old December 3, 2012, 02:47 PM   #2
Technosavant

If it's like the other CA ARs they were making a couple years back, they're using surplus uppers on their own lowers. They'd be sufficient, but I'd really not be interested in paying more than $600 for one. Much over that and you're talking a S&W M&P Sport or some other decent rifles with less mileage on the barrel.
Old December 3, 2012, 06:54 PM   #3
jackpine

the most accurate discription I have century Int builds is "consider it an 80% parts kit and if it works better than that you got lucky"