The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 11, 2012, 04:20 PM   #1
RunFish

Trouble Identifying HP

I picked up this HP from a friend of mine yesterday, but the S/N (10014) is throwing me off. I understand that the markings on it mean that it was Belgium police but all the same ones that I find start with 47xxx not 10xxx. Could anyone help me identify the year?

Old December 11, 2012, 06:20 PM   #2
WVsig

The internal extractor was used up until 1962 and really was not in full production until IIRC. So this gun cannot be any older than 1962 but the serial number is too low. Looking at the serial number on the gun it should be a Pre War Hi Power but it does not have the internal extractor or the older style slide with the thumb cut.

It also shows the Browning Arms Company Rollmark Utah & Montreal which did not exists when a gun serial numbered 10014 would have been produced. Prior to the Utah Rollmark Browning marked guns had St Louis Rollmark.

Strange....
Old December 11, 2012, 06:31 PM   #3
Sharpsdressed Man

Take the question and photos to the 1911 forums, subsection hi power forum. Lot's of BHP collectors there. You may have something very unusual.
Old December 11, 2012, 06:31 PM   #4
RunFish

Is it a fake? It seems really well made for that.. or could it be some kind of "misprint" with the SN?
Old December 11, 2012, 06:40 PM   #5
WVsig

I am not sure if it is a fake. There was a run of FEGs which were sold to Iraq back in the day that surfaced around 2006 but this does not have the same roll marks and the same characteristics.

More detailed pics of the prof marks would help. It has the elongaged muzzle bushing of a mid 70s Hi-Power. Also is the sight notch u shaped? Can you get a better pic of the front muzzle of the gun?

Last edited by WVsig; December 11, 2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old December 11, 2012, 07:20 PM   #6
RunFish

Last edited by RunFish; December 11, 2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old December 11, 2012, 07:28 PM   #7
WVsig

Front muzzle looks like a MKII but does not have the rib on the top of the slide. More questions no answers sorry. I would guess this is a early late 70s or early 80s pistol. It is similar to the Izzy MKII 1/2s which are also contract guns. They show characteristics of different era Hi Powers. I guess is that this particular run had its own set of serial numbers.

The Ring hammer is reminiscent of a Pre T or T series. The extended front bushing is a MKII. Sights and safety look to be pre MKII. MKIIs came with the extended ambi safeties. These grips have been used on an off again in different BHP generations but most MKIIs came with plastic grips.

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/D...IIandMkIII.htm

Last edited by WVsig; December 11, 2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old December 11, 2012, 08:01 PM   #8
Sharpsdressed Man

I have heard rumors tht FN has re-issued serial number lots at the request of the purchasing entity, like the Belgian police, Belgian Army, foreign government, etc. That might explain how a low number got on a later design.
Old December 11, 2012, 08:04 PM   #9
WVsig

Quote:
I have heard rumors tht FN has re-issued serial number lots at the request of the purchasing entity, like the Belgian police, Belgian Army, foreign government, etc. That might explain how a low number got on a later design.
I have read the same which would explain the mix master with a serial number that low. Many of the Izzy contract guns have mix match configurations but most seem to have Browning/FN serial numbers.
Old December 12, 2012, 06:20 AM   #10
glock_country

@ Runfish

Hi!

I´m a police officer fom Austria, exactly upper Austria.

The pistol on the foto stamped with "LGK OÖ" means that this was a weapon of the "Landesgendarmeriekommando Oberösterreich" in your language you would say "federal police departement of upper Austria".

Before the Glock 17 and 19 was issued to the austrian police, the FN High Power was in duty for over decades.

The number 1529 is the internal inventory number of the police.

I hope that i could help you with my reply a little bit, and wish you a lot of fun and joy with this piece of austrian police history.

Greetings
Old December 12, 2012, 09:21 AM   #11
KMAX

^^^Don't know? Ask and surely someone here will know.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!