The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 7, 2009, 08:03 PM   #1
CaptainCrossman

ROA's falling into my lap

major C/B pistol catch- this week I snagged (2) ROA's, a Walker, and a Colt 1860. The Rugers I found locally with private owners, at prices I could not resist- they literally fell into my lap, while I was nosing around my neck of the woods.

initial handling impressions:

the Walker (and related Dragoons) are obviously the strongest, best built open tops ever made- i.e. bigger wedge, arbor, frame, barrel lug. More solid mechanically. Just a bit on the heavy side for aiming/holding, but love that 60 grain cylinder capacity.

then I handled the Ruger OA's- all I can say is WOW, the ROA's handle, sound, point, feel like a real gun. They simply blow away the Italian replicas- no competition. Even the Walker is diminished by the ROA's- the Rugers are just far superior mechanically.

one quirk- the stainless and blued Rugers are not exactly the same gun, and have different personalities- the stainless has a slightly longer barrel, and subtle but noticeably different contours on the sides- and the 2 guns cock/sound/handle totally different- with your eyes closed, they sound and handle like 2 completely different guns !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03862.jpg (239.5 KB, 79 views)

Last edited by CaptainCrossman; May 7, 2009 at 08:09 PM.
Old May 7, 2009, 09:14 PM   #2
williamfeldmann

The major difference in the Rugers that you are probably attributing to something else is the weight differences. My old blued that I sold was different in weight by almost 10 grams. I don't know if it was the density of the carbon vs stainless or what.

If you really like the adj sight Ruger, you should consider getting a fixed sight model, especially if you are considering CAS. I used to think no gun was more natural than an 1851 Colt. The fixed sight models are more rounded in the frame and just points the way you think it should. If you get the chance to feel one, do so.
Old May 7, 2009, 10:53 PM   #3
Jbar4Ranch

Love my ROA's!

I also have a pair of 1847 Walkers, three 1849s (2 are original Colts), a pair of 1851s, three 1860s, and an 1861. Love those C&B's!

SASS 47015
Old May 7, 2009, 11:33 PM   #4
Oldfalguy

ROA

Great find -Congrats-
I have the long barrel SS but think I might to find myself a ROA with the shorter barrel just for giggles.
Old May 8, 2009, 12:15 AM   #5
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Love my ROA's!
Love that photo every time I see it Jbar, very nice collection.
Old May 8, 2009, 07:30 AM   #6
CaptainCrossman

KBAR4RANCH: love that pic of the ROA's- and now I know how you ended up with so many- the first ROA I picked up/aimed/cocked made me think "wow, where has THIS been all my life".

I knew the ROA was higher quality than the imports, but never realized just how much better it was, until now- the quality difference is VAST. I'm thinking of selling off all my import replicas- maybe replace them with stainless versions, of higher strength/quality. The imports are fun to shoot and 'smith/tinker with on a budget- but the ROA handles, cocks, points, sounds like a battleship turret- a real piece of military hardware- Bill Ruger obviously meant it, when he called it "Old Army".

the imports should follow suit, and make the Remington/Colt patterns from better materials, i.e. chrome moly steel. The result would be real weapons, not guns that get a little looser with every shot fired, and have to be squib loaded down so they don't break, and shimmed to hell and back. Case hardening is beauty, it's only skin deep- there's no replacement for real chrome moly steel or stainless.
Old May 8, 2009, 10:50 AM   #7
CaptainCrossman

just bought ROA #3

done deal fellas- just met a guy with another stainless ROA and bought it- came with box and manual- this is #3 ROA in the past 2 days. Could not pass it up at this price, anyone else would have scoffed it right up like lunch, if I passed on it.

this one has a little more miles on it, the ROA script on the side is worn down a bit

the manual says it all

the picture of the ammo/accessories is what came with the first stainless ROA in the OP, enough powder, caps and ammo to shoot for a day at least
Attached Images
File Type: jpg roa in box.jpg (138.3 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg ROA manual.jpg (21.0 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg ammo.jpg (234.5 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by CaptainCrossman; May 8, 2009 at 10:58 AM.
Old May 8, 2009, 11:41 AM   #8
Wobble

Wow. Them's some good lookin' shootin irons. Very impressive. I wish I had just a couple of them. I have never really considered an ROA -- until now.
Old May 8, 2009, 01:14 PM   #9
ClemBert

Jbar - that collection is awesome! However, you needed to get a couple of SS shorties with faux ivory grips.
Old May 8, 2009, 01:16 PM   #10
ClemBert

Hey Captain - can't wait to hear how many ROAs you have by the time the weekend is over. Maybe you'll be competing with Jbar.
Old May 8, 2009, 03:36 PM   #11
CaptainCrossman

Clem- I dunno, my wallet looks like it went through the Civil War, complete with bullet holes...

but if they keep popping up at these prices, I'll try to scratch up dough to buy them somehow.

what I'd really like to find, is a Colt Dragoon.
Old May 9, 2009, 06:04 PM   #12
CaptainCrossman

someone just called me today with a 4th ROA w/spare Kurst cylinder, for $550- I passed on it. Price just wasn't right.
Old May 9, 2009, 06:26 PM   #13
jcowan

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I was looking at an ROA and it has fixed sights (which I like) and the seller said that fixed sights are more desireable. I don't understand why. My personal preference is that is what was available at the time of BP guns, but in a modern gun wouldn't adjustable be more desireable.
Old May 9, 2009, 07:25 PM   #14
ClemBert

Depends on how you want to use it. For some who participate is CAS events there are certain categories that require them to shoot only revolvers with fixed sights. For purposes of hunting or target shooting adjustable sights would probably be the better choice. Ruger came out with the fixed sight model specifically to deal with the issue of shooting clubs who only allowed for fix sight models.

I don't CAS shoot (yet) so I hope I gave a decent explanation regarding those events. Someone will chime in soon, I'm sure, and give you the non-crib notes version.
Old May 10, 2009, 06:34 AM   #15
CaptainCrossman

CAS events are usually timed and require a quick point/shoot, in that case the fixed sights are adequate- and historically accurate as well- because all the Colt and Remington CB patterns are fixed sights. If you're target shooting at your own pace, or hunting, you'll want the adjustable sights. Personally I like the adjustable, then the gun can be "dialed in"- the real challenge is getting each load the same, for consistency.