The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 3, 2008, 06:44 PM   #1
Super-Dave

Will I be embarased if....

There is a skeet shooting place near my House. I have never been skeet shooting.

If I go to this range with a mossberg 20" pump shotgun with a knoxx pistol gripped telescopic stock, are people going to stare and laugh at me like I am a 3 armed gimp at the circus?
Old February 3, 2008, 06:46 PM   #2
DonR101395

Not if you can shoot it well.
Old February 3, 2008, 06:51 PM   #3
hoytinak

You'd think that they would just like the fact that someone new is trying a new shooting sport. At least your out there giving it a shot.
Old February 3, 2008, 07:14 PM   #4
rem870hunter

i wouldn't mind. just as long as you aren't shooting buckshot at the clays. i saw a guy and girl at the public WMA range back in july with a mossberg bead sighted 18.5". shooting hand thrown clays. they had to be fast with shot cause the barrel was cyl. bore. so if it got too far they didn't hit it. i saw another guy shooting clays in sept. with an 8 shot ghost ring sighted pump. not sure what make. shooting 3" 00 buck at clays. i think that guy was not playing with a full deck.
Old February 3, 2008, 09:54 PM   #5
Ruger4570

In my lifetime I have found, most people KNOW when they have reason to expect to be embarrased. You obviously KNOW as you are appearing with a gun that NO OTHER skeet shooter will likely have.
Most Skeet, Trap and SC ranges are not into Tacky Cool stuff or equipment. If you are into Tacky Cool stuff, find a range that is into that kinda stuff too. Most Skeet shooters are pretty dedicated people and Tacky don't cut it with them. You gotta pick the game you want to play. TackyCool is ok if that is what you like, but most sport shooters will in actuality, want a Rambo type around them. Sorry if this hurts your feelings, but you need to pick the game you want to play and the lifestyle you want.
Old February 3, 2008, 10:14 PM   #6
SDC

Some of the Fudds may actually give you a weird look or two, but the best way to get them to mind their own business is to break clays. I learned to shoot skeet with a riot 870 with rifle sights and an extended mag, and as long as you're SAFE, if you can break clays, most people don't seem to care. In fact, you can have a lot more fun with a "riot" shotgun on a skeet field than you can with a fancy over/under; one of the ways we'd choose to see who got to leave the tip at our after-shoot feast was to load up 8 rounds and call for a "mad minute" (four report doubles); whoever hit the fewest birds got stuck with the tip that day. I've run 8 birds straight like that more times than I can remember, and it is FUN, which is supposed to be the whole point in the first place.
Old February 3, 2008, 10:44 PM   #7
Ruger4570

And you are calling us Fudds??? A whole 8 birds straight. Wow, I bet that is really gonna upset the "normal Skeet, Trap and SC" shooters with their 100's straight. I wonder if you played the game "per the rules" how well you would do in a structured game? Be it Trap, Skeet or Sporting Clays. Simply enter yourself in compitition for any of the mentioned games and I think you wil find yourself totally humbled by really great shooters. I really don't know why I confront these Tackycool people, they know so damn much and are famous for their shooting abilities and records.
Old February 3, 2008, 10:57 PM   #8
DonR101395

This

Quote:
In my lifetime I have found, most people KNOW when they have reason to expect to be embarrased. You obviously KNOW as you are appearing with a gun that NO OTHER skeet shooter will likely have.
Most Skeet, Trap and SC ranges are not into Tacky Cool stuff or equipment. If you are into Tacky Cool stuff, find a range that is into that kinda stuff too. Most Skeet shooters are pretty dedicated people and Tacky don't cut it with them. You gotta pick the game you want to play. TackyCool is ok if that is what you like, but most sport shooters will in actuality, want a Rambo type around them. Sorry if this hurts your feelings, but you need to pick the game you want to play and the lifestyle you want.
and this

Quote:
And you are calling us Fudds??? A whole 8 birds straight. Wow, I bet that is really gonna upset the "normal Skeet, Trap and SC" shooters with their 100's straight. I wonder if you played the game "per the rules" how well you would do in a structured game? Be it Trap, Skeet or Sporting Clays. Simply enter yourself in compitition for any of the mentioned games and I think you wil find yourself totally humbled by really great shooters. I really don't know why I confront these Tackycool people, they know so damn much and are famous for their shooting abilities and records.

Are the exact reasons he's giving you grief. The elitist attitude that you seem to have is a huge turnoff to anyone who enjoys shooting sports for fun and relaxation. I imagine you're the same guy who has a cow when someone shows up on the golf course without a "proper" golf outfit and Ping clubs.
The guy wants to go out and enjoy an afternoon and shoot some clay pigeons for fun. He's not planning on entering the summer Olympics with an H&R Topper or peeing in the country club champagne fountain.
Old February 3, 2008, 11:19 PM   #9
chris in va

I wouldn't use it for skeet...trap maybe. The grip will be a liability. I had one, so I know.

Might want to just put the original stock back on first.

Oh, and the clays range around me only allows barrels 24" or longer. Might want to call your range first for rule verification.

We used to be able to shoot the 'tactical' shotguns but I guess they had too many near accidents with the short barrels. Even the police can't practice with them there.
Old February 3, 2008, 11:48 PM   #10
even11

I gotta jump in with Don here, There is a local range that I went to to shoot some sporting clays with a buddy. We showed up with a non tactical 870 and a old double barrel SxS (L.C. Smith to be exact). There were 3 other shooters in a group firing away at their clays with their over and unders. One of theirs was a winchester 101 and I don't know what the other 2 were. Possibly Berettas? They were repeatedly looking over at us like the aforementioned 3 armed gimp at the circus. They actually moved over a shooting position even though there were already two between us. We didn't shoot as well as they did but they certainly weren't anywhere near the 100 for 100. Its one range I will not go back to since I have heard similar stories from other local shooters.

-Dane
Old February 4, 2008, 02:23 AM   #11
Frank Ettin
Staff

A lot of the reception you're likely to get will depend on attitude. The clay target games are a lot of fun, but most competition shooters take their shooting very seriously -- maybe too seriously. But a lot of times, if you make it plain that you really want to learn, at least some of the regulars should try to be helpful and hospitable.

Just remember that some clubs do have minimum barrel length rules, so check first. Also, for skeet you only need #8 or #9 shot in 1 oz. or 1 1/8 oz., 2 3/4 (or 3) dram loads. Don't come out with hotter loads or larger shot. Depending on how the fields are set up this could be a safety issue.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to ask about range procedure. Some places do things slightly differently. The clay target games are a lot of fun and can be a real challenge. Be careful. You might get the bug. If you do, you will find that your 20" Mossberg is far from ideal and you'll be shopping for a new shotgun fairly soon.

BTW, I shoot registered trap and belong to both the ATA and PITA.
Old February 4, 2008, 03:40 AM   #12
predator86

hey ruger.....remind me never to shoot with you if thats how you treat new shooters.......you are the reason that gun bans get passed.......here is a pat on the back for you........
Old February 4, 2008, 05:45 AM   #13
Lawyer Daggit

You will probably embarrass yourself with your shooting, if not your appearance.

People are correct for commenting that a dude in Camo is not going to fit in on a trap or skeet range, but more importantly most 'combat' ready shotguns with extendable stocks are a compromise of carryability v fit and actually offer poor stock fit- an essential of good competitive shooting in trap or skeet.
Old February 4, 2008, 07:06 AM   #14
J F Cooper

Skeet Gun??

I think if you want to shoot skeet, you should borrow or rent a gun more suited for the sport.. The gun you describe has no place in the clay games... Whether or not you would be embarrassed, depends on you, I think the other shooters would have feelings of pitty, more than anything else, seeing you were not in the know. Other may think you're just being rebelous. It has nothing to do with snobbery or elitism, those guys are shooting O/Us (some expensive and some likely not) because that's the proper gun.. If you insist on taking the gun, I would first ask the range manager. I'm quite sure he will fown on it, to say the least..JFC
Old February 4, 2008, 08:36 AM   #15
SDC

Ruger, if you want to impress people, the way to do it is to SHOOT WELL, and it doesn't matter to me if you do it with a $200 870 or a $45,000 Perazzi. You seem to be one of those people ("Fudds") who believe that "style" is more important than results, but as long as the OP is a SAFE shooter, I can't see why anyone else should give a damn exactly what he shoots. If someone can break targets with the gun they're using, who do you think you are to say "That's not the proper gun to be using."?
Old February 4, 2008, 09:45 AM   #16
Magnum Wheel Man

this is why I have my own range...

to me, it would seem that it would come down to how "serious" are your local shooters...

it doesn't matter what shooting sport you are talking about, there are always competitors that take it seriously, no matter wheather it's handgun, rifle or shotgun...

just the same as if someone with a pheasant gun showed up at one of the exclusive self defense training centers... might get grief about thier choice of weapon...

trouble is, having a good "all around gun" is a compromise at nearly everything, it will do nearly everything ok, but nothing the best... but a gun like that is often better accepted at those "other" shooting diciplines than a specialized weapon would be in the wrong shooting sport...

if you show up with an attitude & all tacticooled out, you'll likely get frowned on, butif you show up, asking to learn, & with no attitude, explaining that the tacti shottie is your only gun right now, you'll likely be met with better attitudes, & often will be offered the chance to try others pieces to see what works best... if you are truely a good shot, & don't carry an attitude, someone may actually want to try out your gun...
Old February 4, 2008, 10:23 AM   #17
Musketeer

I shoot trap not skeet but most of what I am going to say applies.

First, a great shooter will bust clays with a riot gun but will have a harder time doing so. He also did not get great by using a tool unsuited to the sport.

You will attract looks, as you already know. Some (fewer than you think) will be from snobs over your cheap gun. Some will be from Fudds who consider anything black evil (I have encountered a couple but again very few). Most will be people amused at your use of such an ill suited tool figuring you consider yourself some sort of suburban commando. You know the gun is unsuited to the task and intend to use it anyway; this may hamper your receiving good advice regarding the sport.

I shoot with an inexpensive Remington 870 Express (evil black stocks) to which I added a Wingmaster barrel I picked up second hand (the short barrel is for the house). I only started shooting trap last summer but was hooked quickly. Not being in a position to buy a dedicated “trap gun” I make do with what I have. Thanks to some volunteered advice from one of the range masters though I have both increased my scores and learned that those fancy O/U are not simply for showing off bank accounts. It is true that MUCH of the ornate details add nothing to the functionality of the weapon but you cannot ignore the benefits in fit and balance that a purpose built trap gun exhibits.

Proper fit is more critical than I can possibly stress without actually showing you. I found out quickly that the sight is NOT your friend. I use it only to make certain the gun is properly seated in a firm shooting position. As soon as it is, with the sight in perfect alignment down the barrel pointed at a spot about 7 yards ahead of the trap house, all focus shifts to that point and the sight is no longer use. Hear is where fit comes in. The properly fitted gun will snug in and point almost naturally. Your arms will fall right into the ideal position. The weapon will lie on perfectly without your having to tilt your head. The stock will have excellent purchase. Right now I KNOW I have to hold my weapon with the stock farther up and closer to my centerline than ideal. It does not have complete purchase. This is a trade off because it is more important to have the weapon point properly. Once the weapon is properly snugged in your entire upper torso is a stable turret, traversing with smoothness and accuracy. You do not need sights because you know if you are looking at the clay you are hitting it. Eye is connected to head, head to gun, and gun to torso. Everything move together and it all fits. I would progress faster with a better fitting weapon but by having a serviceable weapon that I understand the fit and function of I can still increase my skill without any significant investment at present. When I am getting 24 out of 25 and want that last 3% I can upgrade, or when I simply feel like it and want a better fitting weapon. At the minimum though my gun can and does work for the sport.

The weapon you intend to use will almost certainly not fit naturally and be much harder to position so that it fits properly at all. Normally any type of collapsing stock is NOT suited to busting clays. It works fine with a site but to bust clays you need something more important than a site, you need fit and alignment. The site is a crutch that lets you align when fit is no good. The site is also generally too slow and limiting for something like clays. With that collapsing stock you are going to be relying a lot on your site since fit will be horrible and most likely unsteady. Most of those who will be staring at you understand this already and that is the reason they will be staring. It is no different than trying to use a racquetball racket for tennis.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old February 4, 2008, 11:08 AM   #18
SDBuckaroo

Got a fella at our club that shoots his lever action shorty cowboy gun at our trap shoots. And he is quite good!

Find a place that isn't a bunch of snobs. It's for fun, right?

SDBuckaroo (Who's son who's his 20" 590A1 every month, because he likes it!)
Old February 4, 2008, 11:38 AM   #19
root

not if you can shoot it. I showed up with a mossberg 590 mariner (9shot) and did pretty well. They said "try a few from the handicap zone" busted each clay (now that was luck).

(I later bought a more appropriate shotgun as it was simply more comfortable to shoot while busting clays)
Old February 4, 2008, 07:36 PM   #20
jaymce

If they let you shoot it, then go and shoot it. Usually take my O/U or SxS for trap. But occasionally it is the "tacti-cool" stuff. When I first showed up to shoot trap with my 18in tactical pump complete with fixed stock with pistol grip and breacher on the barrel the guys I shoot with got a kick out of it.

One of the guys I got to know asked why I would bring such a thing to shoot clays? I told him because I had a ball doing it. I finally convinced him to take a few shots. He rolled his eyes and took the gun to the line. Loaded and shot. After the 3rd shot and broken clay he turned around with the biggest grin on his face.

Take it, shoot it, have fun with it you will be at a disadvantage compared to dedicated sporting guns but unless it is a problem for you then it should not be a problem for the others, if it is then who cares? Personally I do not care what you have to shoot come and shoot clays have fun, and if there is a guy standing next to you with a Saiga 12 that looks like this it just might be me.
Old February 4, 2008, 07:46 PM   #21
BigJimP

Safety is the biggest issue on any Skeet field. As long as you are safe - you will probably be allowed to shoot the gun.

Most Skeet fields will not allow any shot size bigger than 7 1/2's ( and 9's are common for skeet ) so you will not be able to shoot most "field" ammo of any kind. Get some boxes of target loads or "quail or dove loads" and you should be fine. All loads, 12ga, are limited to no more than 1 1/8 oz of shot - so just check the box. There is no max velocity in the current skeet rules - but there is no need to shoot a shell that is over 3 Dram or 3 1/2 Dram Equivalent.

Be curteous - the muzzle blast from a 20" barrel is significant. There may be squad members that won't appreciate it - but ask them ahead of time if they mind. Barrels of 28 - 30" are common on skeet fields today. You'll need the most open choke you have for the gun ( Cyclinder or Improved Cyclinder probably ).

As long as you can cycle the gun effectively - for 2 shells when you have to shoot pairs - I doubt you'll have any problem shooting at the club and having a good time. At no time on a skeet field can you ever load more than 2 shells ( not even in the magazine ) - and make sure you open your action before stepping off the pad / and don't drop a shell into the gun or into the magazine until you have both feet on the pad.
Old February 4, 2008, 11:44 PM   #22
texastweeter

My brother took his taci to the sporting clasy range with me once. He got a lot of ppl laughing and rollin their eyes at him, but after they saw him hit 10 straight they all though it was the funnyiest thing they ever saw. As a matter of fact a few guys came over to look at his gun and ask questions about all the gear that they were unfamilialr with. At the end of the day I would venture to say that he won over 95% of the people there and the other 5% left (and we didn't care). Matter of fact one guy even went with us to the bar afterwards to shoot the breeze some. I say make sure it is acceptable by the rules, and if so...go fer it!!!
Old February 5, 2008, 01:39 AM   #23
skeeter1

Quote:
"Not if you can shoot it well."
Don't worry about what gun you have. Just practice with it, and you'll be just fine. I got some sneering looks when I showed up at a trap range with one of my SxS doubles. I just happen to like (and am used to, and practiced with) SxS doubles (SKBs).

Well, nobody laughed at me when I shot my first perfect 25-straight. Some of those grumpy-old men were looking to put their expensive Perazzi/Beretta/Benelli O/Us up for sale after that!

Skeet shooters, IMO, are a friendlier group of people than trap shooters. Just go out and have fun.
Old February 5, 2008, 07:22 AM   #24
classic095

gun

As a Range Officer and a Stkeet, Trap instructor, I see the darndess contraptions brought to shoot skeet with, Like Saga 20 gauge (assault) style shotguns, riot guns, and saw off stuff.. I dont give these people grief, I just mention to them that those are not the guns designed for skeet shooting, but they are welcome to try them out as long as the ammo they are useing is what is called for.. After a non productive round of Skeet, I will offer to let them shoot some real Skeet Grade Guns, after a better round using the right equipment you would be suprised how many get addicted and come back over and over and guess what.. They went and bought a gun to shoot skeet with...
Old February 5, 2008, 10:08 AM   #25
Legumeofterror

how well with a browning auto-5 work for this sort of thing? the only time ive ever done it was during my hunter saftey class and i enjoyed it, so id like to have another go at it.