The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 10, 2002, 10:19 AM   #1
Kevinch

Cleaning advice?

I've always used an aluminum cleaning rod, with a brass brush and patches held by plastic tips to maintain my barrels. I know that it isn't the best choice; it was sold to me whem I bought my first gun 13 years ago & is what I've used ever since.

Last year I bought BORESNAKE ropes for a few of the calibers I shoot. I have found that they work well, but that they work best after I have run 2 wet patches thru the bore followed by a brush. So I continue to use the Al rod.

Can you offer some recommendations in replacing the Al rod? Two items I have seen are Otis MEMORY-FLEX RODS and also Tetra's CORVEL COATED STAINLESS RODS. They also offer a bore guide.

Is one of these the best out there? Do you use a bore guide? Is there a better selection for a rod? I'd appreciate any advice!

Kevin
...arms...discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. ...Horrid mischief would ensue were (the law abiding) deprived the use of them. --Thomas Paine
Old February 10, 2002, 12:57 PM   #2
Romulus

I use a Dewey coated rod for my long guns, and a Pro-shot stainless steel rod for pistols.

The most important thing to be aware of is the abrasive potential of aluminum rods. The aluminum oxide film that forms on the surface of aluminum (hence even aluminum cleaning rods) is extremely abrasive - most sandpaper is coated with aluminum oxide grit.

If you use a non-coated aluminum rod, I would suggest the following:

1) Clean from the breech side whenever possible (this is recommended with any rod actually)
2) Use a brass bore guide even when cleaning from the breech (this means assemblying the bore guide the "wrong" way
3)Always wipe the bore guide with a clean cloth before using to remove any potential embeds that could scratch the crown (brass and wood are soft and will retain abrasive particles)

All things being equal, I'd get rid of the aluminum rods and get a good coated or stainless rod. And take your time when cleaning, concentrating on letting the bronze brush do the job and nothing else.

Ti faccio vedere come muore un italiano
Old February 11, 2002, 02:00 PM   #3
M700

I also use the Dewey coated rods. They work REALLY well, are made REALLY well, and will not harm the bore. They come with the jag and brush adapter. I have also heard good things about the Bore-Tech rods. Both are available from Sinclair International here:

http://www.sinclairintl.com

Good Luck
Old February 11, 2002, 04:05 PM   #4
Bogie

I use Pro-Shot and Dewey. Use a rod guide in your rifle's action too...

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!