The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 13, 2014, 11:20 PM   #1
Sierra280

Gunsmith help needed please!

I am have had my heart set on a win pre-64 model 70 in 220 swift; unfortunately, buying a model 70 factory chambered in 220 swift is cost prohibitive. I would like to buy a 'fixer upper' and I am more than willing to spend the cost for action truing and rechambering/barreling to 220 swift. I have been checking out this thread: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344654

As long as I get a .470 bolt face long action I should be okay? Are there certain chamberings that would be better than others for this conversion?
Old January 14, 2014, 03:14 AM   #2
Scorch

You will do just as well with one of the later controlled round feed actions. Pre-64s are out there that are fixer-uppers, but they still want more than the gun is worth. A 1990s Classic or a later CRF action would work just fine and they are probably better than the pre-64s.

As far as being willing to pay to fix one up, keep in mind that just rebarreling a rifle can easily cost $500-$600. Add that to the cost of the rifle and you may want to look elsewhere for a 220 Swift.
Old January 14, 2014, 11:15 AM   #3
Sierra280

I have no real preference for a CRF action (I've never had any problem with push feed rifles) but I read that the pre-64 actions were machined out of block of chrome-moly steel and I really like the sound of that. As for looking else where for a swift, it's one of those guns I have just always wanted for my rifle collection. My girlfriend asked what I wanted for my birthday, and I have always imagined seeing 3 guns front and center in my gun cabinet; a customized rem700 in 308, a Ruger #1b in 7mm mag, and a model 70 in 220 swift. Unfortunately the model 70 isn't there yet
Old January 15, 2014, 06:26 PM   #4
PetahW

Food for thought...........................

Here's a $600 Model 70 in .222 that should be able to handle the Swift after the bbl was rechambered, the magazine filler block removed, and the short follower & spring replaced with the longer size.

http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/forums/...ic.php?t=89371