The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 24, 2013, 05:48 PM   #1
xraysur

Is $100 for a Hornady Pro-Jector press a reasonable deal?

I would like to start reloading 9mm ammo for IDPA competition. A friend of a friend has a Hornady Pro-Jector reloading press that he doesn't use any more and he is willing to sell it for $100. The press is bare, so I would have to add a shell plate, dies and a powder measure combination. After reading catalogs and web sites, I am guessing that it will cost me about $350 (including the press) to build this into a working machine.

I've reloaded shotgun shells on a progressive press, so I have some reloading experience, but I haven't done any handgun cartridges before. I only have one handgun and no centerfire rifles, so I have no plans to reload any other calibers besides 9mm, at the moment.

I have not seen the press yet, but my friend, who reloads, says it is in reasonable shape. He says he will buy it if I decide I don't want the Pro-Jector.

So, does making an investment in a press this old make sense? I realize that this combination won't have all the latest bells and whistles, but I probably will save about $150 off of a new press (if I can even find a new one today).
Old May 24, 2013, 06:04 PM   #2
LE-28

No, in my opinion you will be taking a lose on buying it.

I paid $394 for my LNL-AP 2 years ago. I would not pay $100.00 for an old, possibly compromised press and have to put another $250.00 into it.

I would bide my time and wait for all the hype to settle down or put my name on a list for a new one at a reasonable price. I would have to be patience and wait for it but it would be worth it to me in knowing that my new press would have a decent warranty and support.

I don't know if the Projector or the Pro 7 is even supported any more from Hornady. You need to call them and check on that before you jump into this.

Again, in my opinion.
Old May 25, 2013, 07:26 PM   #3
floydster

Not worth it, for a few bucks more you can buy new with a warranty--just sayin.
Old May 27, 2013, 06:36 AM   #4
xraysur

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Tags
hornady , press , progressive , projector