The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 15, 2012, 05:09 PM   #1
Quincy

Concealed carry suggestion sought.

I’ve been a shooter all my life, mostly rifle. The last few years I’ve been shooting a Dan Wesson .357 revolver, like it quite a bit and am leaning more toward handguns now over long guns.

My question is what to carry concealed. I have my permit and have taken a number of SD classes. I am a fairly small frame man, 5’ 7” and 135 pounds. I am in good condition (for my size) and middle aged, this is just what I been born with, so, carrying a 42 ounce full size revolver, concealed, isn’t realistic. What are your suggestions. This is primarily for self defense, considering either .40 S&W, 9mm or .380. I would prefer a single stack mag. simply because of the thinner grip and I suspect that would be easier to conceal. Most of the time when carrying I would be wearing a Polo type shirt or collared button up shirt and dockers or jeans. My daily routine does not warrant wearing a jacket or sport coat. Any thoughts or suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks.

Q
Old December 15, 2012, 05:45 PM   #2
BarryLee

S&W Shield, Walther PPS, Ruger LC9

There are many choices, but the three listed above are a good place to start.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old December 15, 2012, 05:51 PM   #3
Steel Talon

Check out the Bersa line of conceal carry options. They are quite dependable and I believe have a lifetime warrenty
Old December 15, 2012, 05:55 PM   #4
Sparks1957

If you can narrow a desired price range down for us, it would be a lot easier to make good suggestions.

You have so many options in the subcompact/compact gun world these days.
Old December 15, 2012, 05:56 PM   #5
Microgunner

I've been carrying a S&W 340PD for a few months now and couldn't be happier.

It's an 11.4 oz. 5-shot J-framed revolver chambered in the mighty .357mag w/ a 1.875" bbl.

Not the easiest firearm to shoot but absolutly the easiest to carry with the kind of lethal force it's capable of delivering.

Even though I own many carry firearms I find my self rarely carrying anything else since acquiring this fantastic little revolver.
Old December 15, 2012, 05:59 PM   #6
buck460XVR

I too suggest a J-Frame revolver since you already have and enjoy a similar platform. But in reality, any of the modern, small, designed for concealed weapons will work as long as you do your part.
Old December 15, 2012, 06:40 PM   #7
Koda94

Q

when you consider a CCW firearm also consider the type and availability of holsters available for any model of handgun you consider. Overall, this should not be an issue except it seems like every LGS in my area carries a decent holster for a glock, but not for the 1911 that I carry. Anyways make certain you can find a quality holster that works for you. I have a motto; buy a guy buy a holster, they are not complete without each other.

IMO, I would pick a 9mm over a 40 for any smaller compact pistol. I agree about single stacks being easier to conceal.
Old December 15, 2012, 09:13 PM   #8
sserdlihc

So, will you be dressing like that year round? My CCW is different in the winter than in the summer. Mainly because of how I dress.
Old December 15, 2012, 09:54 PM   #9
Quincy

Answers to questions

Price range: I'm thinking used, up to maybe $600, I'll go up to $750 if I need to, but prefer not to.

Clothing: Summertime, primarily as I said, Polo or button up shirt and dockers/jeans. Wintertime, similar, plus maybe a sweater.

Holster: Agreed, I suspect this is as important as the weapon for concealment.

Since this is for SD, most important is reliabilty, second concealability. Thanks for your replies.

Q
Old December 15, 2012, 10:01 PM   #10
SonOfLiberty

I like the Smith and Wesson j frames, 38/357, and carried IWB. Works year round, lightweight, and reliable. Hard to beat, as long as you don't tuck in your shirts.

http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info...nug2ptat5bjr36
Old December 15, 2012, 10:08 PM   #11
Quincy

Thanks, problem is I tuck in all of my shirts.

The other thing I forgot to mention, is if possible, I'd like to be able to buy a pellet gun copy of the real thing. I have an area in my basement in which I shoot air guns and would like to do the same with a close copy. Thanks.
Old December 15, 2012, 10:37 PM   #12
bt380

Weather vs Conceal Carry

I live on the rainy side of the Cascades in Washington State. In the rainy season (late Oct thru mid june), I can carry a full size px4 40 cal on a 225 lb body due to jacket needs. There is no printing seen. In the summer, I carry a IWB Bersa Thunder 380 with Buffalo Bore +P hardcast load. I also wear a thin long short sleeve shirt so I have double layer to hide any printing violations.
Old December 15, 2012, 10:56 PM   #13
Hansam

I'm 5'9, 185lbs and I have a 32" waist (at my actual waist), 41" chest and do have a slight gut. I'm in decent shape (could be better but I could be worse too) and my doctor considers me very healthy at this point in life. That being said my EDC used to be a cobbled together full size 1911 built on a Colt frame in an IWB holster. Now I've just upgraded to a Para P14.45... and after carrying that around for 2 wks nobody has been the wiser. The gun is carried in the same place all the time and it never gets noticed even with the wider grip and frame.

My wife is 5'4", 130lbs and she also carries a full size 1911... and even on her small frame the gun just about disappears in an IWB holster on her. On hot days though she'll switch out for a smaller gun so she can wear her tank tops and shorts without printing but most of the time she's carrying her 1911.

On the other hand my brother-in-law gave up his full size MP40 for the Shield because he found it easier to conceal the Shield...

I'd say stand in front of your wife and maybe a close friend then put on a variety of guns that YOU might want to carry (one at a time of course) and have them tell you if its obvious or even shows a enough that the casual observer might take a closer look.
Old December 15, 2012, 10:58 PM   #14
9mm

Hi, I am also 5'7 small frame 130-135 depending on the week and what I eat. I conceal a Glock 19 just fine on myself using Med T-shirts or small polo-collar shirts. Hope that helps. If you want deeper concealed go for a Glock 26. I wear bootcuts and place the 26 on my ankle/docker pants/jeans, and the 19 on my hip just fine with tuck in shirt/polo/collar shirt.
Old December 15, 2012, 11:13 PM   #15
SonOfLiberty

Don't the belt clips from your holster show when you tuck in your shirts?
Old December 15, 2012, 11:21 PM   #16
Hansam

I use a Supertuck - the clips go on the pants then the belt goes on over the clips and the shirt tucks in. I prefer to wear a wider leather belt so the belt itself covers most of the clips except for the little tabs that stick out beneath the belt for support. That's when I'm wearing normal weather gear.

Warm weather EDC means I switch to a Blackhawk IWB bag holster. That clip slips on over the pants AND belt but I don't tuck my shirt in so its all covered anyway. Typically I'd wear an undershirt (like a tank top) tucked in then a lightweight button down shirt over it. The outer shirt covers the gun.

My wife uses a either or of the same - and also has a clipless IWB holster for those days she's not wearing a belt. It has grippy external sides and actually just sits there IWB. Usually this is when she's wearing a skirt.

I don't know how others wear theirs but that's how I wear mine most of the time.
Old December 15, 2012, 11:46 PM   #17
Redhawk5.5+P+

Quote:
S&W Shield, Walther PPS, Ruger LC9
I'm on board with those. I'm thinking about getting an LC9, but one thing I don't like is it only comes with one mag and they aren't cheap.

Right now I carry a snub revolver.
Old December 15, 2012, 11:56 PM   #18
9mm

Quote:
Don't the belt clips from your holster show when you tuck in your shirts?
Yeah, so? no one pays attention. My belt is 1-3/4 and the clip is that size. You can only see one clip because the overlap on the belt covers one of them. I don't dress up every day.

Last edited by 9mm; December 16, 2012 at 03:55 AM.
Old December 16, 2012, 12:28 AM   #19
Sheriff Gotcha

I like the Bersa, Walter PPS and S&W Shield suggestions. I was thinking of getting a Walter or Bersa Thunder recently, but decided to save for an FNS instead.
Old December 16, 2012, 04:46 AM   #20
SOCLOSE907

Glock 30 cant get away from a 45
Old December 16, 2012, 06:42 AM   #21
Dr_2_B

Quote:
Price range: I'm thinking used, up to maybe $600
Quote:
problem is I tuck in all of my shirts.
Well I felt like you opened the door wide open and then slammed it shut tight. 1st, that price range, used, will allow you to buy practically anything you would like. You can easily get a very capable sidearm for that money. Since you are so familiar with the 357 magnum I'd recommend you look at a j frame Smith revolver in either 357 or 38 Spl+p. But if you have your heart set on a 40, 9mm, or 380, I'd look at a Kahr, S&W Shield, Ruger LC9 or the like.

Now for what I consider to be the hard part. The tucked in shirt makes it tough. Tough to conceal and (more important) tough to access should the need ever arise. And as you know, if the need ever arises it will come about so quickly you'll be behind the 8-ball from the start.

I'd recommend pocket carry with a decent pocket holster like a nemesis or a mika. Problem is, you can't do this in jeans. In a pair of jeans, the gun may fit in your pocket, but you cannot draw it quickly. On the other hand, dockers are perfect for this arrangement. The pockets are roomy and ideal for pocket carry of the right pistol in the right holster.

Now, here's the part where I make a suggestion you didn't ask for. Forgive me. Consider, just consider, adjusting your attire and wearing your shirts untucked from time to time. This can readily be done with polos and can even be done with button up shirts by today's styles. This modification will open up your possibilities a great deal. I know it's an adjustment, but it is one I made without much fuss. If you make this change, you'll get into the world of IWB holsters and there are truly some great ones out there.

Let us know what you decide.

Last edited by Dr_2_B; December 16, 2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old December 16, 2012, 06:58 AM   #22
dajowi

A pellet gun? OMG! You could put an eye out with that thing.
Old December 16, 2012, 07:21 AM   #23
BfloBill

First things first, learn to wear your shirts untucked. It's possible to carry around a tucked in shirt, but it limits you so much it's just easier to change your style to open up more options.

I am almost exactly your size and my everyday carry is a Glock 26. In a good holster it conceals fine under a loose t-shirt or polo (I wear a tighter undershirt so the gun is not against my skin)

In the past I have also carried .38 and .357 snubbies, and a Glock 23 with the same results. In your price range you should have no problem getting a gun, a GOOD holster, a sturdy belt (this is a must), and an extra magazine.

If you are stuck on a single stack for more concealability I have shot and handled a Ruger LC 9, they are thin and easy to conceal, but I didn't like the trigger pull too much. Don't rule out a small revolver, they have been serving people well for a long time (I really miss mine)
Old December 16, 2012, 10:38 AM   #24
j3ffr0

Quincy, you dress similar to me, although I'm good bit larger than you. I pocket carry an LCP with the CT laser. Realistically, I doubt I would carry anything bigger as often. If you are not used to CC, I suggest starting small. A gun is a lot of extra equipment to have on you throughout the day if you're a light dresser. If you get used to carrying a small gun, you can move up to a larger gun from there.

I use the CT laser because: 1) It works really well on any gun. 2) The built iron sights on my particular LCP are off. 3) It gives me a low light capability that is impossible on this gun without it. 4) It offers improved stress-fire capabilities. Mine is a much better gun with the laser than without, and I have a lot of confidence in it.
Old December 16, 2012, 04:17 PM   #25
coyota1

I like the S&W 642. At 15 oz it doesn't pull my pants off like heavier guns.