The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 27, 2012, 04:35 AM   #126
Single Six

To answer the OP, there are very few people that I know and trust enough that I'd loan them any of my firearms. One is my brother, who is a TFL member, but for some reason he has yet to post anything. The other is another TFL member I've known for several years now. Regarding what Hintzhang most recently posted regarding cell phones: By that reckoning, I consider myself to be quite happily "out of fashion".
Old October 27, 2012, 07:34 AM   #127
Sport45

I'm not afraid of loaning firearms to my friends and family and have done so many times.

Heck, I'm not even sure I've got them all back. I don't lose any sleep worrying about it either.
Old October 29, 2012, 08:20 AM   #128
hounddawg

loaned out a shotgun in 1977 for a friend to go squirrel hunting with, came back with a big scratch on the butstock. That was the last time I loaned a gun. good rule of thumb is to act like it is money and never loan money if you can't afford to lose it. You may get all or some of it back, but then again you may not
Old October 30, 2012, 04:51 PM   #129
Pistolgripshotty

I would lend someone money before I lend any of my firearms
Old October 30, 2012, 08:15 PM   #130
Elmer

Quote:
Never again.......Many yrs ago I lent my hunting rifle to a buddy of mine. He was murdered shortly after and I had to go to his moms to get it back. one of the worse days of my life!!
Been there.... though not murder. But I've had a couple friends die that had guns of mine. They weren't irreplaceable ones, so I just let it go. Didn't have the heart to ask for either one back.
Old October 30, 2012, 09:49 PM   #131
LeadFistExpress

I don't see the harm

I would do it if I trusted the person. I will let certain people ride my Harley, but only certain people. The same would go for any of my guns.
Old October 31, 2012, 08:08 AM   #132
SteveBonning

I think there would be a big difference between lending handguns vs. rifles/shotguns.

Personally, I don't think I would ever lend a handgun to anyone, friend or family, unless there are dire circumstances.

A close friend wants to borrow my shotgun or rifle for hunting? That's probably fine. Many of us did it as highschoolers when we first started hunting, thought nothing of it. As long as I know them well, probably would. Either way, in today's society there's always a risk; one just has to be ready to accept it.
Old October 31, 2012, 01:13 PM   #133
Hiddenpiece

i'll let friends, and sometimes students, shoot my guns. it's always a thrill to watch someone shoot a .44 mag for the first time.

but loan one of mine out of my sight...... no.
Clint Eastwood: "the .44 magnum. the most powerful handgun in the world. it can blow a mans head clean off. in all this excitement i can't remember if i fired 5, or if i fired 6 shots. but you got to ask yourself this one question, do you feel lucky..... punk.... well, do ya?"
john 3:16-17-18, romans 3:23, 6:23, 5:8, 10:13
Old October 31, 2012, 08:25 PM   #134
Jammer Six

There is no difference between lending a 5/8" wrench and lending a 1/2" wrench. Arm waving.
Old November 3, 2012, 03:04 AM   #135
9mmfan

I have a couple times...

Once so a friend could take a girlfriend shooting, he only owned one gun then, they brought it back right after finishing up at the range.

Once loaned my Savage to a friend so's he could go deer hunting with his brother in Mississippi. He had it for a bit. I don't hunt currently (yet for some reason own a scoped bolt action .30-06), so getting it back ASAP wasn't exactly a priority. It is sleeping soundly in my safe right now.

Loaned my 92fs to a third friend who only owned revolvers, so he could practice to get his CHL (in Texas, if you qualify with a revolver, you are not permitted to carry a semi-auto.) He liked it so much, I ended up selling it to him.

Loaned one to a co-worker for his shift. Odd circumstances the night before he was unaware of, he didn't bring his, and I wasn't working. Got it back the next day.

Now all of these folks I consider friends, I trust them, and have been shooting with the first three multiple times. A casual acquaintance? Not a chance. I might take them shooting if I think they possess the requisite maturity. At least while handling firearms.
Old November 3, 2012, 04:06 AM   #136
Master Blaster 2

I used my dads shot gun as a kid to hunt. He loaned it to me. I have also given handguns and rifles to friends and family. Noithing bad has ever happen to me.
Old November 3, 2012, 12:58 PM   #137
edfrompa

Very foolish to let anyone borrow your guns. Accidents happen, mistakes happen. You do not want to be on the receiving end of their mistakes or accidents. And if it is your firearm it is still your responsibility to keep it safe at all times. Not in a borrowers hands. This is just my opinion. Too many unknowns to let anyone borrow your firearms.
Old November 3, 2012, 05:51 PM   #138
Jammer Six

Quote:
Very foolish to let anyone borrow your guns.
By that logic, it would be "very foolish" to be in business selling guns.

It's anti-logic.
Old November 3, 2012, 10:28 PM   #139
Sport45

^This.

Quote:
By that logic, it would be "very foolish" to be in business selling guns.
Or loaning cars, trucks, tools, or just about anything else.

I thought we were the ones who wanted to make it clear that it's people, not guns that do bad things.
Old November 3, 2012, 11:06 PM   #140
Jammer Six

We should be.

It sounds to me like a lot of people haven't thought this through, and based their posts in reactionary fear.

Which is what antis do.

A weapon is a tool, nothing more. Like a hammer, a chainsaw, a drill or a pickup.

Tools get scratched, beat up, used and abused.

I loan tools of all kinds to some folks, and when I do, I don't do any of the hand wringing I see written about in this thread.

I don't worry about the small nicks you put on the head of the hammer, what you might cut with the chainsaw or what might get shot.

This, in particular:
Quote:
And if it is your firearm it is still your responsibility to keep it safe at all times.
is wrong, and based in ignorance.

Actions and choices, not ownership, title or trademarks.

Sometimes I wonder how rights are lost, other times, it's quite clear.

Last edited by Jammer Six; November 3, 2012 at 11:11 PM.
Old November 4, 2012, 06:03 AM   #141
jughead2

borrowing

very rare that i have loaned anything that didnt come back damaged some of it seriously. rare that i loan anything any more.
Old November 4, 2012, 08:07 AM   #142
PT-92

Bottom line from thread:

1) Some people lend firearms
2) Some people don't

Who cares?

But when I start seeing "pro-loaners" equating "non-pro-loaners" with the "Antis" I then unsubscribe from said thread as it has officially reached the point (IMO) of lunacy.

-Cheers
Old November 4, 2012, 09:39 AM   #143
Sparks1957

I agree with PT-92 on that. If I choose not to loan my guns out, then I am acting like an anti-gunner? Bull.

I think this thread has outlived its usefulness.
Old November 4, 2012, 07:37 PM   #144
Master Blaster 2

I wouldn't loan or gift my guns to a homeless bum downtown. Keep it in the family or good friends. Silly topic.
Old November 4, 2012, 08:02 PM   #145
Sport45

Just for the record, I don't equate everyone who doesn't loan guns to being an anti.

I question not loaning a gun because you are afraid of what might be done with it.

I understand not loaning one because of what might be done to it.

Some here seem to cherish their guns more than their spouse, children or pets. I don't, but everyone is different. That's allowed.
Old November 4, 2012, 08:27 PM   #146
Jammer Six

Loaning or not loaning has nothing to do with politics.

Logic is what matters.