The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 14, 2011, 12:17 PM   #1
hsr2d2

Remington 742

Hi Everyone,

what is the general opinion in regard to the Remington 742 in 30-06?

I have the option of purchasing one from a friend. Since I didn't know much about it I did a search just to see what it looks like, however, it seems that that rifle had some issues according to some of the info that came back.

Is this somewhat unfounded or should I stay away from it?

Your opinions please.

Thanks,

Hans
Old September 14, 2011, 01:03 PM   #2
Daggitt

Had problems with the locking lugs on 3 different guns. Consider a Browning BAR instead. Much better gun in my opinion.
Old September 14, 2011, 01:07 PM   #3
crowbeaner

This topic comes up at least every 3 months. I own and shoot a 742 in 30/06. it is my ONLY deer rifle; I've had it for years and it shoots shamrock groups with my handloads. There are some caveats about owning one of the semiauto Remingtons-
Keep the chamber SPOTLESS!!!!!
If you handload, use MEDIUM burning rate powders regardless of bullet weight.
It was designed to shoot 1 to 4 shots from a cold barrel- IT IS NOT and I repeat NOT an AR platform rifle OR a Garand!!!
These rifles were NOT DESIGNED for sustained fire- if you want to blast away all day, choose a different rifle.
Remington has redesigned these rifles several times; every one has it's advantages over preceding models.
DON'T shoot it with lead bullets unless you have to; the gas port leads up and the rifle will cease to function properly.
Well cared for and carefully loaded, my rifle is capable of outshooting several different bolt rifles I've owned and shot.
Very little lube is required for maintenance, and I highly recommend Rem Oil- it is thinner than say Hoppe's or Outers oil. These thicker lubes will slow down the action in very cold weather.
All in all, you can get a worse rifle for more money. I trust mine implicitly, and the late Jack O'Connor's wife used one to down an elephant with one shot years ago. As always, YMMV. CB.
Old September 14, 2011, 06:06 PM   #4
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
If you must have a Rem. semi auto , you should probably go with a later model , like the 7400 or 750 . These are still in prodoction , and parts are available for them should something break . The last 742 was produced 32 years ago and the parts inventory for them was exhausted about 20 years ago . If you are still interested in the 742 , I'd advise taking it to a gunsmith first for an inspection , to make sure you aren't buying a Tomato stake . I am in the gun business and I won't buy or sell or take in trade a 740 or 742 !
Old September 14, 2011, 06:09 PM   #5
Abel

Unless its free, get something else.
Old September 14, 2011, 06:13 PM   #6
BUFF

I own a 742 in .243 and I love it. Very accurate and have killed a lot with it. I wish it was in another caliber though. The .243 is a little light for some of the bigger Kansas deer. Fried of mine had one in 30-06 that was a "meat getter". But he broke the bolt handle when he laid it across the door frame of his truck to shoot at deer.
Old September 14, 2011, 06:27 PM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

From everything I've read over the years, the 742 is good if used only for hunting. My 742K in '06 is easily a 1.5 MOA shooter. I guess in some 50 or so shots, never any problem at all. I figure it's not a range toy. They seem to sell in the $250 to $300 range.
Old September 14, 2011, 06:30 PM   #8
Hog Buster

While you’ll have a few people who’ll sing the 742’s praises, I’m not one of them. I have owned and shot many, many rifles over many, many years and the worst one has been the Remington 742. The ones I’ve owned, or shot, were finicky about ammo, jam-o-matics, not accurate, the stock wasn’t wide enough for a paddle and they ain’t heavy enough for an anchor. Used for a tomato stake, maybe OK. Pure junk in my opinion.
Old September 14, 2011, 06:32 PM   #9
g.willikers

The one I had many years ago was fine.
And it was old, even then.
Very accurate and reliable, even with after market plastic 10 rd mags.
No complaint, what so ever.
Except that the recoil was about equal to a bolt action.
Not what was expected from a gas operated rifle.
Old September 14, 2011, 06:39 PM   #10
Cowboy_mo

I can only echo Crowbeaner. Mine has been a fine hunting rifle since purchasing it in 1976.

I have never had a jam, failure to feed or failure to fire. It is also no more "ammo finicky" than any of my other rifles. It will shoot Winchester and Federal with 1.5" groups if I do my job. Now it isn't as fond of Remington because the groups will open up to about 2". Bear in mind a 2" group will kill pretty much any deer.

No, it probably isn't as slick as a BAR BUT, you can comfortably carry it many more miles than you can carry the BAR.
Old September 14, 2011, 06:42 PM   #11
Pahoo

If the price is right, go for it !!

What I've seen, is the older they are, the more issues they have. I've worked on a few and have owned one. A friend asked me lately what I thought about trading his off for a BHP. Given this choice, I suggested that he trade it. Eventually they will all face issues particualr to them. ....

However,
I understand that when they get bad enough, they can be converted to 7600's and you can go on for another life span.

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; September 14, 2011 at 07:44 PM.
Old September 14, 2011, 07:36 PM   #12
Jason_G

I've got one in 6mm Rem, which seems to be far less finicky and batter-prone than what I've heard about the 742 in larger calibers. My experience echoes what Art and BUFF said in their posts. There may be finer crafted rifles out there (in fact, I'm sure of it), but it will do its job if properly cared for and used only in the role in which it was meant to be used.

Jason
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." -Amendment II, Constitution of the United States of America
Old September 14, 2011, 07:49 PM   #13
BIG P

Very hard to find parts for anymore,theyre ok I guess if theyre not getting much use.Would look some more if its going to be your go to rifle.
Old September 14, 2011, 08:06 PM   #14
Loader9

I've had several over the years. My first one was given to me by my dad back in the early 1960's. I still have it. The 742 is based on the Model 11-48 28 gauge shotgun action. It's aluminum and is subject to wear quickly. These rifles are a known problem child with jams. My original at one time would shoot under an inch at 100 yds. But something changed and the same box of ammo will hardly get in a pie plate at 100 yds. I've changed mounts, scopes, even open sights and it's no better. I'll never unload the one I have but I'd avoid giving any money for one. There are a lot better firearms out there to spend yer hard earned bucks on.
Old September 15, 2011, 12:17 PM   #15
hsr2d2

Thanks Everyone for the awesome replies, they were what I had hoped to get. As for that rifle, I am probably going to stay away from it, especially the part that it is hard to find parts for it turned me against it.

Again, thanks for the replies and for this awesome forum.

Hans
Old December 11, 2012, 03:12 PM   #16
jeraldm

742, Old Reliable

I have had a 742 Carbine since 1970. A lot of them were abused by their owners using surplus ammunition. I only use Remington Core Lok, 150 grain ammunition. I have shot a lot of deer from 40 to over 200 yds. Shot a Moose in 2002. The shot was standing, off hand, 185 yds, I broke its back with one shot. When it comes to getting meat I rely on this gun. Keep it clean, prior to use, I clean off all oil and grease on the action bar.
Old December 12, 2012, 01:36 AM   #17
bamaranger

first

If you can, shoot it first. I see many Rem auto's w/ corroded /pitted chambers. Once that happens, feed/extraction problems are sure to follow.

If pitted, no amount of polishing may solve the problem.

If the rifle runs, they make fair blue collar semi deer rifles.
Old December 12, 2012, 09:36 AM   #18
Hunter Customs

I've had a couple come to the shop with lock-up issues.
I contacted Remington about a source for parts, no luck.
Remington suggested turning them into pump guns.

I've passed many of them up at auctions I've attended,they all sold cheap compared to other guns at the auctions.
I also will not take one in on trade.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old December 12, 2012, 01:05 PM   #19
L_Killkenny

One of two almost identical old theads brought back from the dead. Why does that happen so much?
Old December 12, 2012, 06:33 PM   #20
whitearrow

l killkenny it probably happens when some new guy uses the search function and sees topics that either he wants to contribute to or he wants to know more than what the other posters have said. now, on to the remmy 742/7400. i personally would buy one if it was half off as i had a 7400 in .270 win years ago that every 3rd shot would jam up. i mean every 3rd shot. that is when i changed over to bolt guns and never looked back. if i wanted a repeater that i need fast follow up shots with i would get a remmy 7600 pump.
good luck,
whitearrow