The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 19, 2010, 05:22 AM   #1
roy reali

Small Handgun Hunters

Has, or does anyone here ever hunt with small, pocket-type handguns? I realize that the size of game and range are limited by small pistols, but to me hunting is hunting.

I have a couple of small pistols and revolvers that I take out for small game hunting adventures. I really haven't had that much luck. Last year I was out in the desert with my Colt Pocket Positive in .32 S&S long. I spotted a jackrabbit at a dozen paces. The first shot was a clean miss. But for some reason the bunny didn't move. The second shot was clean hit to its head. Dropped it like a sack of potatos. My grandson was with me. I am not sure he really believed that I hit it where I wanted to.

So, anyone here ever do any hunting with smaller hanguns? Any luck?
Old March 19, 2010, 08:49 AM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Last dear season I carried my G33 with an extended 5" barrel. Unfortunately, I never really had much chance with the big gun, say nothing of the bow range weapon.
Old March 19, 2010, 08:59 AM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

The Colt Woodsman was one of the first popularized "little critter gitters" for many people. Head shots on rabbits, squirrels, grouse and ptarmigan. I have my grandmother's early-model Woodsman that she used to provide squirrel stew.

A 4" S&W Kit Gun is another excellent choice...
Old March 19, 2010, 10:39 AM   #4
Scorch

I used to hunt little fuzzies with just about every kind of pistol I owned; old milsurp 7.65mm semiauto pistols, 22LR pistols and revolvers, 9mm Luger and P35, 38 Specials, 357 Mag, 44 Mag, 45ACP, you name it. It is just a kick. And there is nothing like watching a 110 gr .357 hollow point dismantle a jackrabbit.
Old March 19, 2010, 11:01 AM   #5
robhof

robhof

I did in a squirel with a 38 wadcutter in a DW with 6" barrel. I had it loaded with 357 mag and 170gr bullets, but I always carry a loader of wc's for rabbit or snakes. The squirrel was in the same tree as my stand and made enough noise to wake the dead, he eventually started dropping things on me and when he dropped a load on me, I terminated him.
Old March 19, 2010, 11:12 AM   #6
Daryl

I don't usually go out hunting "intentionally" with small "pocket" pistols. By pocket pistol, I mean one that will fit in a pocket.

That said, I carry a J-frame Smith with a 1 7/8th inch barrel pretty much always, and as a result, I've used it to take various critters. Bunnies, snakes, 'coons, and so forth. My primary drawback to using my carry gun is that factory loaded SD ammo is fairly expensive, and is a little rough on critters. As a result, I've taken to carrying an extra speed loader that holds a "reload" of .38 special HBWC's. This allows me to change out the ammo easily enough, and the wadcutters are great for small game.

It works pretty well for unintended encounters with edible critters, but for intentional small game hunting I really prefer something like a Colt Woodsman, or a Ruger Single Six.

Daryl
Old March 19, 2010, 12:53 PM   #7
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Rabbit, squirrel and barn pigeons have all fallen to various 22 pistols and revolvers but most of them to my S&W M41.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old March 19, 2010, 02:22 PM   #8
howwie

I'm 3 for 3 on armadillo's with my bersa thunder .380. I've always carried my RIA comp. 1911 in the woods, the only thing I've shot with it was a beaver that won't stop damming up my Gpaws pond drain.
Old March 19, 2010, 10:26 PM   #9
treg

I shot a rabbit while hunting with my Jennings .22, said I did it, and never tried agian.

Have shot hundreds of rabbits and squirrels with the Buckmark, if you consider that small.
Old March 21, 2010, 07:27 PM   #10
b.roberts

+1 Daryl

I almost always have a airweight smith in my pocket. I cut off the hammer spur to aid in drawing from my pocket. When I take the dog for a hike in the woods, I slip one of those bianchi speed strips of hbwc's or dewc's in my back pocket. It does a great job on varmints. A lot more pleasant to shoot than 158gr lswchp +p's as well.

However, if I am out specifically for small game hunting, I take my ruger mkII.