The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 10, 2010, 02:17 PM   #1
kyle o

sideways primer

While i was using my auto primer, i noticed it was harder to seat than the rest. i took the case and shell holder out and the primer is sideways. i stopped as soon as i felt resistance so its not completely seated (a little less than half). is there a way to get the primer out of the case without causing much damage?
Old March 10, 2010, 02:29 PM   #2
Nate1778

Dip it in water and let it soak, run it through the decapping pin again, let dry and re-prime. Eye and ear protection should be on just in the off chance the priming compound isn't saturated.
Old March 10, 2010, 02:30 PM   #3
uncyboo

Just run it back through your sizer/de-capper. If it's damaged it will already have been done...
Old March 10, 2010, 02:35 PM   #4
golfballshootr

Too late for damage control. de-cap it again and start fresh.

Yes, it would be a good idea to wear eye/ear protection in the off chance.
Old March 10, 2010, 02:36 PM   #5
kyle o

thanks for the advice. i would just toss the whole thing if i could get my shell holder off the case. thanks again for the advice.
Old March 10, 2010, 02:50 PM   #6
uncyboo

Do you have one of the Lee Case Length Gauge Trimmers? Put the blade on and tap it out easy.
Old March 10, 2010, 07:20 PM   #7
Taroman

I did that once. Just pressed it all the way in then decapped on the press. Not sure if this technique has the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval, but it worked for me.

As always, YMMV

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Old March 10, 2010, 07:53 PM   #8
johnjohn

Wet it down good and toss it.
Old March 10, 2010, 08:07 PM   #9
uncyboo

He's trying to save his shell holder.
Old March 10, 2010, 09:42 PM   #10
Mobuck

Handy little tool

LEE decapping rod and base. Knocks those OOPPS right out. Don't bother dunking. Wear safety glasses and gloves and knock it out. I actually tried to set off a reverse seated primer a few days ago with the LEE deprimer rod and hammer. Tapped it 5 times leaving a dent about equal to a firing pin hit and it didn't pop. Reseated it right side up, chambered the case, and snapped it. Went bang and produced about a softball sized muzzle flash. Maybe I'm just lucky but I've knocked out quite a few live primers for whatever reason and never had one pop.
Old March 11, 2010, 01:15 PM   #11
kyle o

I let it soak for a little while at work and took a small punch and a hammer and knocked it out. no bang but i was prepared (welding hood and ear plugs)! thanks again for the advice!
Old March 12, 2010, 06:55 PM   #12
greco

I did the same thing as Mobuck. I was loading 375 H&H tonight. I don't have the Rem priming tool in that case head size, so I used the goofy swinging arm on my old RCMS single stage. I managed to get a couple of primers in sideways and a couple upside down too. I grabbed my Lee Decapping punch/pin from a 38spl set and just stuck it down the case, felt until in went in the primer hole, and tapped the primer out. I don't reuse them, because I don't trust them once they have been in and out.

When I used to use a Lee tool to load 38's, I set primers off all of the time. The setup kept me form getting hurt, but it was a surprise every time.