The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 22, 2005, 03:29 PM   #51
tsavo

Cobray, I don't know any bodybuilders that would choose the type of training you're talking about over heavier sets with fewer reps. Watch the pros. Most of them have training videos out and none of them use light weight for building muscle because it just doesn't work.

"Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder but nobody wants to lift no heavy ass weights" -Ronnie Coleman

And don't worry about getting bulky, it won't happen without a good diet and intense training. I laugh when people come to me and say "I don't want to be huge"-don't worry buddy-it ain't gonna happen.
Old September 23, 2005, 08:03 AM   #52
NRAhab

Quote:
Cobray:
Did I ever say if you took a body builder and told him to do light weights at higher reps that it would build HIS strength? NO!
Wow. I like how tsavo actually repeated what Cobray already said, but said it like he was pointing out a mistake.

You fail Reading 101.
Old September 23, 2005, 10:34 AM   #53
CobrayCommando

WTH are you blind tsavo? And I went on to say that I myself do not use the light weight high rep method! Did I ever say I didn't want to bulk up?

The testosterone has gone to your brain...
Old September 23, 2005, 12:07 PM   #54
Trip20

C'mon fellas, lighten up a little.

tsavo is a good guy I'm sure. He was pointing out what he felt was a misconception. Probably only doing so to provide what he thought was good information in order to help us out. That is, he was only doing so with good intensions.

We're all on the same team... lets try to keep that in mind.
Old September 23, 2005, 12:09 PM   #55
tsavo

I didn't mean you yourself would choose that type of training. I was saying in general. And I misread the part about being bulky-I had thought you said you didn't want to be bulky. My fault.
Old September 23, 2005, 12:29 PM   #56
Derius_T

Tsavo Wrote:

Quote:
The things I've posted are not opinions. They are facts- based on the laws of thermodynamics and physiology.
Care to show us your degrees professor?

Then you wrote:

Quote:
And to the person above, just because that person is a trainer doesn't mean they know what they are talking about.
Uhhm, really? The fact that they are schooled and trained in weight management techniques, and do this for a living, as no bearing on their credability? Dude....gimme a break.....

I guess just because some guy is a brain surgeon doesn't make him more qualified than you to operate on some guys brain either.....sheesh.....
Old September 23, 2005, 12:34 PM   #57
Derius_T

Tsavo Wrote:

Quote:
And don't worry about getting bulky, it won't happen without a good diet and intense training. I laugh when people come to me and say "I don't want to be huge"-don't worry buddy-it ain't gonna happen.
Wrong again. I was in the military for many years, and was a good old hard working farmboy all through my youth. My muscle size is quite large, and my strength is very significant, and I rarely if ever lifted any weights. Now I may not be all chisled and cut like a pro body builder, but I'd be willing to bet that my brute strength and endurance are far superior to your average bodybuiding 'pose-boy'. And thats real life......
Old September 23, 2005, 12:52 PM   #58
meanoldman

To answer the original question seriously this time. For forearm strength clench you hands into fists and explode them open and closed as fast as you can. I do three sets of 100. Doesn't take much time and works well. Also when I was serious about target shooting--hold a five or ten pound weight like you would point a pistol with one hand and hold as long as you can--don't lock your elbow.

David
Old September 23, 2005, 01:58 PM   #59
CobrayCommando

Quote:
C'mon fellas, lighten up a little.
True, true... Sorry Tsavo.
Old September 23, 2005, 03:05 PM   #60
tsavo

Quote:
Wrong again. I was in the military for many years, and was a good old hard working farmboy all through my youth. My muscle size is quite large, and my strength is very significant, and I rarely if ever lifted any weights. Now I may not be all chisled and cut like a pro body builder, but I'd be willing to bet that my brute strength and endurance are far superior to your average bodybuiding 'pose-boy'. And thats real life......

It's called genetics, everyones are differnt. For the majority of people they aren't going to get huge by mistake. Honestly, your reasoning and logic are really elementary. You take 1 example, yourself, and try to apply that to a broad spectrum of people which never works in any science including physiology.

Pose boy? LMAO-lets see Ronnie Coleman squats 800lbs for 4 reps, deadlifts 800 for 4 and does military presses with 160lb dumbells in each hand-what about you?

And by the way, I know plenty of personal trainers that have absolutely no clue what they are doing. Half the certs out there are a joke, the tests can be taken online and you basically have a worthless certificate. And the facts I posted are pretty common knowledge even in entry level fitness/nutrition education. The fact that you're questioning them shows how much experience you have in this area.
Old September 23, 2005, 06:17 PM   #61
CobrayCommando

Hey man the personal trainers at 24 hour fitness super sports and above have more certifications than you can shake a stick at and go to school for several years.
Old September 23, 2005, 08:15 PM   #62
bdc

shooting

You can learn to shoot: running, walking, as you sit down, as you rise up, in low light, while covering 360 degrees. Except for hand placement on the weapon, the human body is ergonomically designed for the same technique for shooting pistol, rifle, shotgun and submachine gun. It is a matter of framing, indexing and cuting the target in half. turnipseedtechnique.com and quickshoot.com.

The inability of a person to pick up a firearm weighing between three and twelve pounds and point it at a target is an entirely different animal.

In two separate classes I witnessed the same thing. These were people who never touched a firearm in their lives. With just a few hours of hands on training, overweight, middle aged housewives who last exercised in high school were able to do the following. Stand 12 feet from a target with an empty Glock (for you Glock haters, use a Government Model) in hand. On the ground is a piece of cardboard and on top is a loaded magazine. The shooter is to pick up the magazine and engage the target as fast as the trigger can be pulled. When the gun is empty, take out the magazine, put the gun on the ground. Then run 50 feet to a picnic table and throw down the empty magazine, pick up a full magazine, run back and pick up the gun and engage. Do it until 50 rounds are expended. Despite wheezing, sweating, shaking, the women did all kill shots rapid fire. So, weight training has nothing to do with it.

If you get the turnipseed video (and no, you will not learn how to shoot by watching a video), he has a trained shooter who had never touched a machine gun, pick up an Mp5 and rapidly advance on a target firing full auto and accurately. It is a middle aged, overweight female, of course.

With parents' permission, I took a slightly built 11 year and taught him the operation of a Glock and correct framing sitting and standing and let him go - 1000 rounds in two days. Yes, he did get fatigued after a few hours each day.

If you want to shoot old fashioned bulls eye style with one arm locked and the hand of the other arm in your pocket, no amount of weight training will make up for this bad posture. If you insist upon shoot a 12 ga. shotgun with slugs for two days using a modified weaver or an isosceles position, you are going to end up with bruised or bloody shoulders and no amount of weight training will help.