The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 18, 2002, 03:15 AM   #1
Pistole

Firearm License in Malaysia.

I am from Malaysia where it is next to impossible to secure a "possession/carry & use license" for a firearm. We have a very strict policy on gun control over here.

As such , if there is anyone out there with any information on the criteria / requirements for such an application , please let me know. Much obliged.

18th Feb 2002.
Old February 18, 2002, 08:26 PM   #2
templar333

Dude, you gotta be kidding me. I don't think anyone is allowed a carry permit in Malaysia (civilians I mean). The closest thing you get to that would probably be a license to own one BUT with the strict requirement of having it kept at a gun club that you need to be a member of.

I could be wrong 'cos it's been a while since I was there but on the other hand, things like that don't change in Malaysia nor Singapore.

H.-
Old February 18, 2002, 08:37 PM   #3
ryucasta

Do you have any highly placed political associates if so I would suggest you contact them. Since its been my experience with Malaya and the Dutch East Indies that greasing the tracks is always a good thing.
Old February 18, 2002, 09:21 PM   #4
psssniper

bribe everybody!!
its worth a try
Old February 20, 2002, 12:10 AM   #5
Ghibli

Join the police force. They might let you own/carry one
Old February 20, 2002, 12:48 AM   #6
Pistole

Thank You.

Thank you everyone for all of your absolutely useless advice.

Thanks again.
Old February 20, 2002, 01:28 AM   #7
Jesse H

Let's see now, you ask a forum where nearly all of its members live in the United States or are Americans. You get a few friendly replies. They may not have been the answers you were looking for, but there was no reason to for you to be rude about it.

Some of the replies have some merit. The Malay gov't can be corrupt. I'm glad my mother immigrated to the States ASAP. If it were not for the good food and some family there, I'd never go back.
Old February 20, 2002, 02:32 AM   #8
Pistole

JESSE H.

Dear Jesse,

1. Point noted.

2. Therefore , from now on , any replies are welcome.

Regards.
Old February 20, 2002, 08:50 AM   #9
Skip-2

Once I had some Malaysian Banking Executive visit. He showed me a Pistol Club ID and said that he had a Glock 26 in Malaysia. He made mention that his security team had pistols to protect him and his family and that he went for range practice with them once a month. Oh, and another thing he mentioned was that, been of Chinese origin he had to be real careful about how he would use it. Shooting the wrong person would mean life in jail if not execution. That's about all I know about Malaysian gun laws.
Old February 20, 2002, 01:24 PM   #10
Country Boy

Pistole-
Perhaps I can elaborate on some of the responses.

1) Highly placed political associates can often get special privledges or services that people who are not in a position of power cannot receive. Therefore, if you know somebody in a position of power, they might be able to help you.

2) Bribery can often make things easier, and encourage people in a position of power to help you. (It could also get you into trouble.) In many nations, including the US, Congressmen are often "bribed" by contributions to their political campaign, or by the promise of votes on a certain piece of legislation. We dislike to think of our government as corrupt, but in many cases, it is.

3) Police or military have guns, so it makes sense that joining a police or military unit would allow you the ability to carry a gun. Unfortunately, joining such a unit is not always an option.

I hope our sometimes callous sense of humor has not unduly tarnished your image of the gun owners at TheFiringLine. Perhaps we cannot help with this particular question, but feel free to stop and write again.
Old February 22, 2002, 08:20 AM   #11
Pistole

Country Boy.

Thanks for the info.

Anyone else with any suggestions ?

All are welcome.
Old December 3, 2009, 08:48 PM   #12
tju1973

sorry to bring up the dead--- but I have a great friend that carries a Beretta 93R with no issues-- not sure who he greased, but he lives down near Singapore-- he always carries it and a Benelli tacticool shotgun (not sure the model) in his car or truck. He carries the 93 on his side....I wonder what he actually does these days...

Last edited by tju1973; December 4, 2009 at 11:30 AM. Reason: meant near Singapore-- not Malaysia (where he lives)
Old December 4, 2009, 09:52 AM   #13
Neruda

This is an excerpt from an article which appeared in the Daily Express, independent newspaper of East Malaysia, on 26 June 2009
"Lahad Datu: All firearm owners here are urged to renew their licences.... District Police Chief, Supt Md Suhaimi Ad Rahman said owners aged 60 and above would have to go through a health check first and then bring the reports to renew their licences. A total of 418 people here own the A License for firearms, which only allows them to own firearms, and 96 License B holders, who can carry and use the firearms."

So it appears carrying is possible, albeit not common!

I think this pdf document contains the current firearms regulations: http://www.agc.gov.my/agc/Akta/Vol.%205/Act%20206.pdf

Another avenue of approach would be to talk to members of a Malaysian gun club to see if there are any "short-cuts".

Hope this helps. I don't know Malaysia but my parents worked and met there in the 1950s
Old December 4, 2009, 10:53 AM   #14
Mal H
Staff

I hope you guys don't think you are actually supplying any useful information to "Pistole". He hasn't visited TFL for over 2 1/2 years.
Old December 4, 2009, 11:20 AM   #15
celtgun

Still the best country

Old thread, but it should be a reminder to us all that America is not perfect, but it is still the best country. We were blessed by a group of Founding Fathers that beyond compare in the history of mankind. And they were not perfect, and did not always agree. They to a man felt that arms in the hands of the people were needed in a free country. Believe me folks, Malaysia and Singapore are not free.

Lee Jones(Celtgun)

"...with firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor."
T. Jefferson, B. Franklin, J. Adams 1776
Old December 6, 2009, 02:08 PM   #16
bikerbill

Hear, hear, Celtgun ... been looking into an extended stay in Ecuador, and their gun laws, while not terrible for residents -- no license to carry, tho the gun does have to be registered with cops -- are exclusionary for visitors, even long-termers. Here I can buy whatever I want, take it home that day, can carry a firearm virtually everywhere concealed and ready to defend my family if needed ... now if we can just keep the govt's sticky fingers off our rights, we're golden ..