The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old May 31, 2022, 08:05 PM   #1
ciwsguy

Shooting two handed vs one handed

Went hand gunning today for the first time in a while. Fired S&W 617, S&W 629 and CZ 75 compact PCR. Indoor range at 10 yards. Since it’s been a while, I wasn’t surprised some bullets went astray (yes, it was me) when shooting two handed. At the end of the session on the 617 and the CZ75 PCR, I tried one handed and was surprised when my groups tightened up considerably.
There is no way I’d attempt shooting a 44 mag revolver one handed, but I’m wondering if anyone else shoots better one handed than two handed?
Old May 31, 2022, 08:49 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

A long time ago I did -- when one handed was the way I shot on my Army unit's shooting team. Now, in real life, I shoot handguns almost exclusively two-handed and there's no way I can be nearly as accurate shooting one-handed.
Jeepaholic
Old June 1, 2022, 10:45 AM   #3
10-96

When I shot Bullseye and qualified for work- I'd say I shot just as well 1 or two handed. It was my goal to become just as efficient shooting off (weak) handed only. I was nearly there, and let me tell you- that is a more perishable skill than just strong side shooting.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old June 1, 2022, 11:06 AM   #4
RickB

All the shooting I do is timed competition, and while I can usually get good hits both strong- and weak-handed, I cannot do so with much speed.
Old June 1, 2022, 12:32 PM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

Moved to general handguns forum
Old June 1, 2022, 01:15 PM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

When shooting handguns, I use 3 hands, sort of. 2+1 =3, right?

I use either one hand or two depending on the gun, the load, and the type of shot I want to make. I have handguns ranging from .22LR to .45-70. SA and DA, hammer and striker fired, semi autos, revolvers and single shots.

I shoot them all, one handed, or two handed, depending on what I feel like. And, I do it offhand most often standing. At ranges from 0 to 200yds.

IF you hit your target and you don't get "bit" there's no wrong way to hold a handgun.

Anyone who tells you different is selling something....

One of my favorite "games" is shooting off hand, one handed, left hand in my back pocket, shooting at the 200yd gong on the rifle range. My favorite for that is my Ruger Blackhawk 7.5" .45 Colt. I can do it with any gun you hand me (after a few sighter shots with an unknown gun & load), and have. Once I "have the range" for the gun I'm shooting I can usually hit the gong about 70% of the time, or better, provided the gun is accurate enough to do it.

Yes, I will happily shoot a .44 Magnum one handed. Also things that recoil less and things that recoil more... I do usually shoot my bigger heavier handguns two handed, but mostly my offhand is there to help hold them up, not because I need additional help with control.

I don't consider myself physically exceptional in any way, or highly skilled, but I have practiced a bit..
Old June 1, 2022, 01:50 PM   #7
stuckinthe60s

its why they call them (hand)guns, not hands'guns.
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old June 2, 2022, 03:42 PM   #8
chadio

Anymore I can barely hit $__t with 2 hands, let alone one!!! Glad I got the pistol sharpshooter ribbon (circa '91 / '92 ish) when my eyes and hands were steady....
Old June 2, 2022, 04:44 PM   #9
Ed4032

I slow down when shooting one handed. My groups tightened up too. I’m sure it’s just me though.
Old June 2, 2022, 05:44 PM   #10
Hawg

I guess I'm just old school. I seldom shoot two handed unless it's really long handgun range, say 100 yards.
Old June 2, 2022, 06:10 PM   #11
gwpercle

Yes ... I notice it also but never realy thought about it .
I shot NRA Target Match Bullseye for over 20 years and just chalked it up to that ...you know , shooting one handed all those years ...slow fire , timed fire and rapid fire with 22 LR , 38 spcl and 45 acp , puts a lot of memory in the muscle .
When shooting one handed , slow fire I just naturally get serious about sight picture and trigger control ... it's when I do my best work under 50 yards .
Any long range work and I'm looking for both hands , a tree , a post , sitting ... any kind of support to steady the aim - hold .
Gary
Old June 28, 2022, 05:04 AM   #12
peacefulgary

I routinely practice shooting one-handed and with my off hand.
I can usually put them center mass, but not as accurately as I can when shooting with two hands.
Old June 28, 2022, 05:14 AM   #13
RETG

Everyone should be able to shoot one handed comfortably. Might have a situation where your life depends on it due to the loss of the other hand/arm.

Then again, most will never run into a situation where the gun is needed in a life saving situation, but you never know!
I give MY OPINION (not often) based on many years shooting at, other than paper targets. I will not debate my experience vs. your experience based on dreams and "what ifs." I'm 73; I'm too damn old to care.
Old June 28, 2022, 10:01 AM   #14
totaldla

I'm right-handed. I shoot more accurately with my left hand than my right. I only shoot one-handed occasionally, just to remind myself that I can do it.
Old June 28, 2022, 12:40 PM   #15
44 AMP
Staff

All early handguns, and, indeed all handguns to this day are intended to be fired with one hand. I don't know of any that aren't. Do you?

You can certainly choose to use two hands, but only one hand is required to fire the gun.
Old June 28, 2022, 01:48 PM   #16
Schlitz 45

I always shoot my 45 Colt Vaquero one handed & do pretty well-just doesn't seem right using two hands & I've yet to see a western with a cowboy shooting two handed that I can remember. I'll go to two hands for the longer shots with the semiauto pistols but I mix it up a lot, Never know when you may need a hand free or maybe not have a usable one.
Old June 28, 2022, 03:08 PM   #17
44 AMP
Staff

Look at the general design of SA revolvers, the shape of the grip intentionally allows the gun to roll up in the hand during recoil. This puts the hammer spur closer to the thumb for easier cocking repeat shots.

The idea of keeping a firm "shooting" grip at all times didn't exist, until DA revolvers came into use. The SA was intended to used one handed, because, until the horse was no longer the primary means of individual travel, your other hand was expected to be "busy" with the reins. Or possibly, a saber...
Old June 28, 2022, 03:21 PM   #18
zeke

Am almost always shooting 2 handed with my strong hand. Looking at pistols that have squared/grooved fronts to the trigger guard, indicates to me they are designed to give a 2 handed option. Am not a very practiced one handed shooter, but can manage up close.

Also practice weak hand and find it easier to function with just one hand up close.
Old June 28, 2022, 05:01 PM   #19
darkgael

I have been a Bullseye shooter for many years. A long time ago, I noticed that i shot better one handed. To this day, when someone asks if I would like to shoot their gun, I say yes and shoot it one handed.
The only exceptions are handguns like the Encore that are chambered in rifle cartridges and have barrels 12-15” long. Just cannot do it anymore.
Old June 28, 2022, 06:10 PM   #20
Drm50

I only shot one handed when I had to. Shoot 2 hand weaver and in SA mode no matter what gun I’m shooting.
Old June 28, 2022, 07:31 PM   #21
44 AMP
Staff

Nearly all my pistol shooting is recreational, target or hunting. I lost interest (and the ablilty) to play the run, dodge, & jump shooting games some time back.

many of my pistols are large and heavy and I do use both hands for them nearly all the time. Others I prefer one handed, for the challenge or the nostalgia. I have shot all of them one handed (to do it) and I freely admit a 14" Contender .45-70 is way better used with both hands (and when possible, rested).

Almost exclusively my off hand is used for support of my shooting hand, not the gun. One of my favorite semi autos has the squarish triggerguard. I've tried using it, just felt "wrong" to me, so I stopped trying.

I shoot my SA revolvers one handed when I'm not game hunting. When I am, its both hands for the best possible support.