The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 9, 2021, 05:59 AM   #26
jetinteriorguy

Given the difference in front to rear height on the receiver, possibly you have the rings on the wrong way?
Old July 9, 2021, 06:48 AM   #27
LeverGunFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
Given the difference in front to rear height on the receiver, possibly you have the rings on the wrong way?
On a Remington 700 the difference is made up in the mounts, not the rings. It's not like the Ruger 77 integral mounts where different rings are used front and rear.
Old July 9, 2021, 03:23 PM   #28
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeverGunFan View Post
On a Remington 700 the difference is made up in the mounts, not the rings. It's not like the Ruger 77 integral mounts where different rings are used front and rear.
Of course,silly me. But if it’s possible maybe the mounts are reversed. I’m not familiar with the setup on this rifle, but I am familiar with doing the most obvious thing wrong.
Old July 9, 2021, 04:00 PM   #29
hps1

Quote:
Of course,silly me. But if it’s possible maybe the mounts are reversed. I’m not familiar with the setup on this rifle, but I am familiar with doing the most obvious thing wrong.
Bingo. Look at picture (from previous post). If this is rifle in question, look at the thickness of front and rear bases. Rear base is obviously thicker than the front base. Not familiar w/700's but someone mentioned front ring is smaller dia. than rear, which would call for thicker ring to level scope w/bore.
The higher rear base would cause rifle to shoot high(er).

Regards,
hps
Old July 9, 2021, 05:31 PM   #30
LeverGunFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hps1 View Post
Bingo. Look at picture (from previous post). If this is rifle in question, look at the thickness of front and rear bases. Rear base is obviously thicker than the front base. Not familiar w/700's but someone mentioned front ring is smaller dia. than rear, which would call for thicker ring to level scope w/bore.
The higher rear base would cause rifle to shoot high(er).

Regards,
hps
The bases are mounted correctly. The front of the receiver is fully round, where the bolt lugs rotate to lock the bolt. The rear of the receiver is contoured lower than the front. Additionally the screw spacing is different between front and rear so you can't put the bases on wrong.
Old July 9, 2021, 06:57 PM   #31
hps1

Again, not familiar w/the 700 action, but looking at the picture, the front base is much thinner than the rear and the scope appears to be angled downward in the front. This would make the rifle shoot high. Wonder if the mounts are 20 MOA mounts for LR shooting??

One quick fix would be a set of Burris Signature rings w/set of inserts as described here:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1548661544.

Great product, no need to lap rings; choose proper set of inserts and bore sighting is a piece of cake. Inserts hold scope firmly and will not mark the tube.

Regards,
hps
Old July 10, 2021, 02:06 PM   #32
sfwusc

Should I do low mount, medium, or high ?
Old July 10, 2021, 04:08 PM   #33
10-96

Gotta agree with hps1- Burris Signatures and Leupold bases are fantastic and look great in my opinion.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old July 10, 2021, 05:17 PM   #34
hps1

Quote:
Should I do low mount, medium, or high ?
Height of rings will be dictated by the diameter of your objective bell. Best height will provide a firm, but comfortable cheek pressure on the comb of your stock. Height of rings does not affect elevation on target but it is imperative that your scope be parallel to the bore of the rifle or you will run out of adjustment as you have in this case.

Based on the picture posted, your scope appears to be pointed "downhill", which would cause problem of running out of adjustment/high impact on target. Raising the front end of scope will lower POI (as will lowering the rear end).

The Signature rings allow for aligning the axis of the scope with your rifle bore by selecting proper thickness and combination of inserts (.005, .010 and .015"). For example, using two .015" inserts (one in front ring and other in rear ring), you could obtain up to .030" more height of the front of your scope which is probably more than you need.

Offhand, I'd try a .015" insert in the front ring w/thick part down. This would raise your cross hairs (and lower POI on target). May not be quite enough but using a .005 in rear w/thick part up could then be added. (Rings come with two sets of 0" inserts)

First, I'd find center of tube by counting clicks starting at one extreme or the other, then count half that number and you'll have equal amount of elevation adjustment ^ or v. Then, use the correct inserts to bore sight the rifle. This should get you on paper @ 100 with plenty of adjustment left on your scope.

Good discussion as to how to determine how much shim you need here:
http://www.predatormastersforums.com...Number=1103505

Regards,
hps