The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old November 22, 2020, 02:41 PM   #1
BJung

gas checks

How are you guys attaching your gas checks?

I tried this for the first time for 30-170gr FRN PC bullets. If I pressed the Hornady gas checks onto the bullet in place and drove it though my Lee sizing die, the gas check was concave slightly. I resorted to then fitting them by hand onto the base of the bullets as straight as possible and then using a hammer to tap them into place before pushing them through the sizing die.

Maybe I should use a case deburring tool to shave the base slightly so the gas check would align better?
Old November 22, 2020, 03:42 PM   #2
USSR

I don't use gas checks. If I am going to load a magnum load, I simply cast my bullets using a harder alloy.

Don
Old November 22, 2020, 04:23 PM   #3
HiBC

Put your checks on a flat steel plate on the bench. Center the bullet base on the check. Tap the bullet base on the nose with a small dead blow (4 to 8 oz) hammer or a nylon face hammer.
Old November 22, 2020, 04:47 PM   #4
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by burbank_jung View Post
How are you guys attaching your gas checks?

I tried this for the first time for 30-170gr FRN PC bullets. If I pressed the Hornady gas checks onto the bullet in place and drove it though my Lee sizing die, the gas check was concave slightly. I resorted to then fitting them by hand onto the base of the bullets as straight as possible and then using a hammer to tap them into place before pushing them through the sizing die.

Maybe I should use a case deburring tool to shave the base slightly so the gas check would align better?
I have found that annealing the gas checks to remove the "springiness" in them is of great advantage in applying them and not having them go all concave when sizing the bullet.
I have a short piece of 2" galvanized pipe threaded on both ends. I dump the checks in the 2" nipple and with both caps screwed on loosely, I put it into a fire...used to use my fireplace. When the fire burned out, I remove the pipe and dump the gas checks out. The discoloration of the checks indicate that the fire was hot enough. This works great for crimp on checks.
Old November 23, 2020, 02:15 AM   #5
BJung

Thank you