The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old November 18, 2008, 12:30 AM   #1
alan

re an old single barrel shotgun

I've come upon a Wards Hercules Model 10, so stamped on the left side of the action. The barrel is stamped Proof Tested 12 Gauge, on it's left side, near the breach. The right side of barrel is stamped Selected Forged Steel. The shotgun is single barrel.

Interestingly, the receiver/action is unmarked except as above noted, no serial numbers in evidence, and no sign of any having been removed. If the action was ever blued or color finished, said finish has long since worn off. As near as I can measure with a dial caliper, the bore at the muzzle is .685".

Re no serial numbers, It's been quite a long time since serial numbering was required on U.S. made guns, or so I had thought. Anyone have any ideas?
Old November 18, 2008, 07:44 AM   #2
J F Cooper

Wards

With markings like that I would say it's a Stevens Manufacture.. The frame was originally case colored. Serial numbers were required after 1968.. The gun is full choke.. JFC
Old November 18, 2008, 12:34 PM   #3
Steven Mace

alan, does your Hercules Model 10 look like the shotgun pictured above? If so, it's probably some version of the Stevens Model 94. Hope this helps!

Steve Mace
Old November 18, 2008, 05:16 PM   #4
RJay

The Sears Hercules. as stated , was a Stevens 94.
Old November 18, 2008, 11:14 PM   #5
alan

Steven Mace:

Yes, it does except as noted. The trigger guard is, at it's rear, shaped a little differently. The butt stock pictured appears to have more drop than the stock on the gun I inquired about. The pistol grip pictured is more pronounced. Otherwise, it looks essentially like the picture you sent. Thanks.

JFCooper and RJay, thanks for your input.