The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 4, 2016, 07:43 AM   #1
mrdaputer

Pros and cons to powder coated bullets

I have a friend who tells me I should buy powder coated bullets instead of the E-xtreme plated that I like. I have Googled it with mixed results. So I thought I would ask here where I value peoples thoughts. What are your opinions on power coated bullets for 9mm and 40?
Old August 4, 2016, 09:17 AM   #2
jmorris

I powder coated for a little while but I prefer the HI-Tek coating, it's more durable and thinner than PC, also more heat resistant.

If your buying a coated bullet chances are it's not powder coat.
Old August 4, 2016, 09:46 AM   #3
MarkCO

There is a lot of variation in the coatings from company to company. The HiTek coating (Billy Bullets, Bayou Bullets) are some of the better coated bullets.

However, the X-Treme bullets are more accurate than the coated bullets. The only issue with plated bullets (regardless of manufacture) is when people overcrimp them.
Old August 4, 2016, 10:00 AM   #4
Nick_C_S

I'm curious what calibers we're talking about? - just for general knowledge.

A lot of people use and like coated bullets. I know that a lot of people use them in the pistol competitions (IDPA, ICORE, Steel Challenge) I attend.

How do I know? Well, that brings me to why I don't like them . . .

I know because I can smell them. Now at competitions, it's not that big of a deal. Trigger time is low and I'm not right next to the shooter - I can only smell them.

But at the range, if I'm the shooter with coated, or someone next to me has coated, their smell is so thick, intense, and acrid, it literally - literally - nauseates me. The smell of burning electrical insulation so god awful that I can't tolerate it at all.

What I find really odd about this is how nobody else seems to notice - and that just blows my mind. It's like how in the world can you NOT notice this?! Yet, somehow, seemingly, nobody else does.

Anyway, that's the show-stopper for me. I have about 900 coated 38 Special DEWC's that I will eventually load/shoot - on a day with a strong breeze from my back. But after that, no more for me.
Old August 4, 2016, 11:06 AM   #5
MarkCO

I do not like the odor either. Delving into the MSDS (now SDS) for the coating many years ago is what made my choice to not shoot them, nor exposed lead bullets. Plated or Jacketed with fully enclosed bases is all I shoot.
Old August 4, 2016, 12:00 PM   #6
mikld

Well, I've used PCed, Hi-Tec coated, and plated bullets. Powder coating bullets can be involved and messy (I had powder everywhere!), but the results have always been good. Clean handling, clean shooting, and same accuracy as I got with my cast lead bullets. I purchased mebbe 1,000 Hi-Tek coated bullets from Precision Bullets and also had excellent results. I also tried plated bullets, mebbe 1,000 in my 45 ACPs and my 9mms. Same clean shooting, clean handling. Accuracy from my handguns is on par with cast lead bullets.

In all my loading and shooting I found nothing that really stands out as different/better than my own cast bullets, nekkid, no coating or plating. I have been able to eliminate leading in most of my guns, and accuracy is as good as I am. I clean my guns after each shooting session and have no problems shooting lubed lead bullets. I can't give good nor bad reports on coated or plated bullets, just for me, I've got all my needs covered with the few jacketed bullets I buy and the lead bullets I cast. If it were necessary for me go choose one bullet style (no more casting) I would go with Precision Hi-Tek bullets.

For the new reloader, go ahead and try them all, you might find your "perfect" bullet...
Old August 4, 2016, 01:05 PM   #7
moonman16

HI-TEK Coated Projectiles

More and more commercial casters are converting over to HI-TEK coatings from J&M Specialties in Australia. they just work better than conventional cast with waxy lubes.

They are flat out cleaner and less messy. Clean barrels, hands, dies, sure works for me.

If you experience an ELECTRICAL SMELL when shooting these projectiles, the coaters PROCESS WAS NOT UNDER CONTROL, and they were under baked. The catalyst requires a minimum time at a specific temperature to GO OFF. Commercial casters using this formula need to correct their process according to their equipment and actual load weight per batch. Some were trying to speed up the process to fill backlogged orders and caused the smell issue.

Projectiles with this formula are now offered from ACME BULLETS, BAYOU BULLETS, BLACK BULLETS INTERNATIONAL, GATEWAY BULLETS, SNS CASTING, LNL CASTING, BLACK & BLUE BULLETS, IBEJIHEADS, and I'm sure there are others too.
Old August 4, 2016, 01:20 PM   #8
MarkCO

I got one of the original batches of bullets imported from Australia, in fact I still have a few of them in 10mm left. J&M did the coating and sent me some samples. There was an electrical smell odor from those.

Have never shot any of the Hi-Tek coated bullets that did not have that smell.
Old August 4, 2016, 01:25 PM   #9
Mauser69

They STINK!

Quote:
But at the range, if I'm the shooter with coated, or someone next to me has coated, their smell is so thick, intense, and acrid, it literally - literally - nauseates me. The smell of burning electrical insulation so god awful that I can't tolerate it at all.

What I find really odd about this is how nobody else seems to notice - and that just blows my mind. It's like how in the world can you NOT notice this?! Yet, somehow, seemingly, nobody else does.
No, you are not the only one to notice (and I have posted about this before). They stink to high heaven (and hell too)! The only coated bullets I have tried are from MBC, and they performed OK except for the stink. All of my shooting is outside, and no matter which way the breeze is blowing, I hate the stench.

I do not mind the smoke and smell of lubed lead bullets, but unfortunately, most commercial cast bullets use that ubiquitous blue crayon lube, which is totally worthless in my opinion. Between the crappy blue lube and the stinking coating, I am mostly buying only plated or jacketed bullets now.
Old August 4, 2016, 02:51 PM   #10
moonman16

I shoot weekly INDOORS with HI-TEK coated projectiles from ACME BULLET CO.,
NO SMELL, others at my club are now shooting them too.

I've had some Bayou's that had the electrical smell.

The Hi-Tek formula and CATALYSTS have been changed many times, the Australians have shot them for over 20 years.
Old August 4, 2016, 05:17 PM   #11
jmorris

Quote:
I purchased mebbe 1,000 Hi-Tek coated bullets from Precision Bullets and also had excellent results.
David made his coated bullets (Precision bullets) for more than a decade before Hi-tek came to market and he has always been tight lipped about what the coating actually is. I would be surprised if it it the same thing as Hi-tek but the results are similar.
Old August 4, 2016, 06:42 PM   #12
Jim Watson

Yup.
I have shot Precision Bullets and Billy Bullets. The ones I had did not appear to be HiTek coated. Have they changed?

I am now loading Black Bullets International. I was using them when they changed from the earlier "poly-moly" coating to HiTek. The p-m was ok on .45s but fouled badly at higher velocity from 9mm.

The first coated bullets I shot were Bull-X, then Ranger, then Bear Creek, then Precision, now BBI. I tried some Missouri Bullets coated which do ok except that however they bake them, they come out feeling oily. Their rep said this was intentional. Some of them smell, some of them don't.

I haven't gotten into powder coating but I have read claims of rifle velocity with it.
Old August 4, 2016, 07:54 PM   #13
Tsquared

I use "Shooter’s Precision" 200 grain SWC coated .452 bullets with great success. They are more accurate than anything else I have tried. With 9mm I have two FMJ bullets that are my most accurate. I have not found a coated 124/125 grain 9mm that can match the accuracy of my FMJ bullets.

The initial draw was the price. For the 45 it is now accuracy. If I could find a 9mm coated bullet that would out perform my FMJ I would jump on it. I have found a lot of variances in a lot of the various products out there.

I shoot outdoor most of the time and I have never been bothered by smoke or smell. What I did notice is the coated bullets tend to be 50-75 fps faster than their plated or jacketed counterparts. I also found that having a tighter fit tends to increase their consistency/accuracy.
Old August 4, 2016, 09:13 PM   #14
Chainsaw.

I like PC. I coat 44 mag bullets with great success. My 9mm Im still dealing with accuracy issues but that very well could be my loading them wrong/sizing them wrong. Its a work in process.

Ive never experienced the burning electrical smell others speak off. I coat my own and I add a couple minutes to the bake time to make sure the coat is cooked good. Never smelled anything besides gun powder.

I really like being able to anf lead bullets without getting lead all over my mitts. Ive dug out my bullets from birms etc and found still ver attached PC aside from wete lead splashed of course.
Old August 7, 2016, 06:23 PM   #15
moonman16

Loaded up some BLACK BULLETS INTERNATIONAL HI-TEK COATED 115 gr 38 Specials and shot em' today - - - -- NO SMELL.

I get NO SMELL from HI-TEK coated ACME BULLETS either, 38. 34 ACP, 9 MM.
Old August 8, 2016, 12:09 AM   #16
armoredman

Boy, that's some amazing observations...
I've been powder coating my cast bullets for a year or so now, (did 350 the other day), and I have to answer a couple of things...

Quote:
...their smell is so thick, intense, and acrid, it literally - literally - nauseates me...
My buddy and I shoot powder coated bullets, and not once, ever, did I notice, or anyone around us, notice any smell. Never. Just the normal burned gunpowder smell, which is, of course, the smell of freedom.

Quote:
Powder coating bullets can be involved and messy (I had powder everywhere!)...
What the heck were you doing? I shake and bake bullets every week, no powder anywhere except in the box and on the bullets. Just curious.

I'm not perfect at anything, except being an idiot, (got that one nailed), but I've had nothing but good luck with power coated bullets.

Old August 8, 2016, 12:18 AM   #17
Poodleshooter

OP, try some out if you see cost savings. Most likely you will find little difference, or some slight reduction in fouling (no copper residue with coated).
Essentially most of the big hoopla for powder coat is in its advantages over cast and conventionally lubed lead, and for those of us who cast our own or use bullets in other calibers that typically required jacketed bullets, expensive high alloy hard lead or gas checks.
For prospective purchasers of pre-coated bullets, I suspect plated, if available at the same cost, would be just about as good in 9mm or .40.
Old August 8, 2016, 01:04 PM   #18
mrdaputer

Thank you guys for all your input. I don't cast my own bullets so I don't see any advantages for the coated bullets at this time.
Old August 8, 2016, 09:08 PM   #19
armoredman

If you do ever move to casting, (great hobby that saves a ton of money in the long run), then look into powder coating.
Old August 8, 2016, 09:32 PM   #20
9mmSkeeter

Plated >>>> Coated.

Coated offers advantages over plain lead like less smoke, less "newspaper fingers", and in general are less filthy.

A plated bullet does all of that and performs like jacketed.
Old August 9, 2016, 12:03 AM   #21
armoredman

Very true, with the exception of jacketed performance - Berrys has always said load to the mid point of jacketed data.You can get them up there, but at the risk of shredding the plating - been there, done that.
I can make lead bullets here at home and powder coat them for a fraction of what even plated bullets cost. Besides, I have more fun with an additional hobby that feeds my other hobbies, reloading and shooting.
Old August 9, 2016, 03:15 AM   #22
briandg

Maybe not approprieate for the thread, but Missouri bullet company just purchased a bunch of body armor for a city that was at risk. Thousands of dollars spent.

I've moved my purchases to them forever. They sell Hitek
Old August 9, 2016, 11:32 AM   #23
Mauser69

briandg, thanx for the comment about MBC buying the armor - I had not seen that yet, and I, too, think it illustrates what a GREAT company they are.

I will continue to give them priority as long as they sell what I am after (but their HiTek coating still has a terrible stench when fired!).
Old August 9, 2016, 11:50 AM   #24
alexcue

As far as accuracy? I've always liked Xtreme's plated bullets, but i've used Bayou's Hi-Tek Coated bullets in 9mm and (.357Mag), and with the load I used the Hi-Tek are noticeably more accurate than the Xtreme. That's my experience. As far as smell goes? I'm not picking it up and I can usually smell anything that's odd for some reason.