The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 1, 2016, 12:54 PM   #1
DMY

COAL for Hornady V-Max in .223 Rem

I have reloaded handgun ammo for decades, but just reloaded my first rifle cartridges (.223 Remington) for range shooting and informal 3-gun matches. The first box of 60 gr Hornady V-Max bullets did not have a cannelure, so I seated the bullets to a COAL of 2.61" +/-. The reason it is +/- is because no matter how slow I lower my single stage press with my FL RCBS carbide 2-die set, it seems to blunt the polymer tip of the projectile. I didn't write down the amount of variation, but my recollection is that it was around +/- 0.015". The bullets functioned well, but did not group as well as the Hornady 55 gr FMJ BT. I presume the seating depth of the V-Max varies depending on the amount of deformation in the polymer tip. Any suggestions on how to avoid or minimize the amount of deformation or how to get a consistent bullet seating depth?

I presume using a V-Max bullet with a cannelure will help me determine whether the bullets are seating consistently, but I do not want to adjust the seating stem for each bullet. Also, I know the obvious which is to use the 55 gr FMJ BT, however, price and availability occasionally forces one to be flexible.
Old August 1, 2016, 01:37 PM   #2
Reloadron

Hornady 9th Edition suggest a COL of 2.250" for their V-Max 60 grain bullet. Loading longer will result in reduced pressure and shorter will result in higher chamber pressures. The 60 grain V-Max does not have a cannelure. I have loaded the Hornady ballistic tips and using RCBS standard dies #11101 never had an issue with crushed tips.

Ron
Old August 1, 2016, 02:03 PM   #3
Dufus

Quote:
Loading longer will result in reduced pressure and shorter will result in higher chamber pressures.
This is dependent on the rifle's chamber dimensions.

If you seat longer, you are decreasing the distance to the lands which can actually increase pressures.

Conversely, seating deeper creates a longer distance to the lands which will decrease pressure.

This is an excerpt from the Barnes September 2007 Bulletin:

"In the overall perspective, we can say that generally pressure will decrease as the bullet is moved farther from the lands. Generally, we can say that velocity will decrease as pressure decreases the farther the bullet is seated from the lands. And generally, we can say that accuracy is depending on bullet placement from the lands dependant on the rifle the bullet is fired from."
Old August 1, 2016, 02:15 PM   #4
Reloadron

That would be true. I just assumed a standard 223 Remington standard SAAMI chamber. One within the SAAMI specifications. I also posted the Hornady suggested COL. Beyond a tight neck as in very tight I really can't see why the RCBS dies would crush the bullet tips? Never had the problem with the RCBS dies I mentioned?

Ron
Old August 1, 2016, 07:44 PM   #5
RickD1225

DMY, do you mean the COAL is 2.261? if it is 2.61 that leaves only 0.02 in the case, not likely. The 60 GR VMax is 0.87 long and a 223 case is 1.76. I am pretty sure a 223 that is 2.61 won't allow the bolt to close on any 223 chambered gun.
Old August 1, 2016, 09:39 PM   #6
qrz

I have a bolt action 223. My 60 gr A-max touches lands at 2.359 oal (avg).
But each chamber in different rifles varies. Would be nice if I could get a bit more length out of mine.
Old August 2, 2016, 12:57 AM   #7
DMY

clarification

Sorry, I meant the COAL was 2.261, not 2.61. My question about the V-Max is that the sharp pointed polymer tip of the projectile becomes less sharp when the seating die pushes the projectile in place. I am not concerned about the point itself. However, I presume the seating depth is inconsistent even though the COAL is the same. I am less concerned with over-pressure because I am much closer to minimum charges than maximum. I haven't tried measuring the length from the rim to the top of the copper jacket because I don't think I can accurately measure it.
Old August 2, 2016, 08:04 AM   #8
RickD1225

I loaded 200 55 GR VMax this weekend (first time with this bullet). You got me curious so I inspected them last evening. I did not find any deformed polymer tips. My COAL was very consistent at 2.255 + - .005. Loaded on a Dillon 550 B with Dillon dies. I prep the cases in separate steps where I clean, resize/decap and remove the lube. Then I prime them also in a separate step. When I load I don't use station 1, just drop powder, seat and little to no crimp.
Old August 2, 2016, 06:47 PM   #9
PA-Joe

Give Hornady a call. You may need a special seating plug.
Old August 3, 2016, 06:51 AM   #10
steve4102

Quote:

Reloadron

Hornady 9th Edition suggest a COL of 2.250" for their V-Max 60 grain bullet. Loading longer will result in reduced pressure and shorter will result in higher chamber pressures. The 60 grain V-Max does not have a cannelure. I have loaded the Hornady ballistic tips and using RCBS standard dies #11101 never had an issue with crushed tips.

Ron
Actually just the opposite is true, seating deeper reduces pressure, you can find a explains toon on this in your Hornady manual as well as their web site.
Old August 3, 2016, 08:22 AM   #11
Reloadron

Quote:
Actually just the opposite is true, seating deeper reduces pressure, you can find a explains toon on this in your Hornady manual as well as their web site.
I agreed to that several post later. I based what I posted on a standard SAAMI chamber with a fixed leade or throat. The Hornady 9th does have a very good section (Firing a Cartridge) starting on page 13.

Ron
Old August 5, 2016, 04:08 AM   #12
NorthernBlue

I have loaded up 100-125 60 Gr VMAX bullets into .223. I have a COL of 2.25 and have no problems with dented tips. I am using the American Series dies from Hornady.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-T...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by NorthernBlue; August 5, 2016 at 04:30 AM.
Old August 5, 2016, 04:23 AM   #13
NorthernBlue

EDIT: Double Post