The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 31, 2016, 05:45 PM   #1
F. Guffey

RCBS seating die? Or is this die a Lee seating die

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/13766111

(Public)
Q: After looking at your dies listed as a 2 die set I thought the seating die looked like a Lee seating die. I do not need the dies but thought you should know. 07/30/2016
A: I just got out the RCBS 2 Die Set. Both dies are marked RCBS on each of the dies and they are in the green RCBS box. Hope you have a pleasant weekend. 07/30/2016

And then I asked him about the 'O' ring lock nut and the Lee style seating plug.

I had no ideal RCBS changed their seating plug design. I went through the extra effort to sort through MidwayUSA, they have Lee dies that look like Lee dies but I can not find RCBS dies that look like Lee dies.

F. Guffey
Old July 31, 2016, 05:58 PM   #2
Jim Watson

RCBS site shows an RCBS seating die that looks like an RCBS die. Not like a Lee die. I think the advertiser is having you on.

http://www.rcbs.com/Products/Dies-by...-Cartridg.aspx

I guess you could buy it and then post a clear picture of the roll mark on the Lee-ish seating die. It might make the advertiser look like a monkey but that is kind of expensive oneupsmanship.
Old July 31, 2016, 06:49 PM   #3
F. Guffey

Quote:
kind of expensive oneupsmanship.
I will not be the victim, I do not need the dies but if he sells the dies and someone is not happy with the dies it will cost the purchaser shipping and insurance to return the dies.

But if the die is a Lee there is a very good chance the seller will be required to return all the money and pay for shipping and insurance.

F. Guffey
Old July 31, 2016, 07:11 PM   #4
briandg

Based on over a half dozen points of comparison, Lee to rcbs equipment, I'm going to say that the seater is absolutely not rcbs. I would call him out on it, because that thing is clearly going to be marked with Lee on the roll mark.

It's possible that he has one of those ridiculous Lee "Rgb" dies, and he's just mistaken, but regardless, I'm throwing the BS! flag.

I wish that the photos were clear, I can't see the typical wrench flats clearly or read the marks.

Unless I'm mistaken, right now, Lee is the only die maker that doesn't knurl their gear.

Last edited by briandg; July 31, 2016 at 07:27 PM.
Old July 31, 2016, 10:30 PM   #5
F. Guffey

Quote:
I would call him out on it
I did not call him on it, I suggested the die was not RCBS and looked like a Lee die. He insisted the die was RCBS then I asked him about the locking nut with the 'O' ring and it was about that time he suggested I call RCBS.

My only motive was to make sure he listed the item correctly and he did not appreciate my effort. If I am wrong I need to contact him, I have no fewer than 8 boxes of steel stencil sets for letters and numbers. Stamping the Lee die with RCBS does not make it a RCBS die.

F. Guffey
Old July 31, 2016, 10:36 PM   #6
GWS

Agreed! Either the seller took pictures of the wrong seater, or he means to screw someone. You can email the gun auction company with a warning.
Old July 31, 2016, 10:55 PM   #7
cw308

F. Guffey
That is not a RCBS seating die, I'm sure you knew it from the start. Some guy's won't admit when there wrong.
Old July 31, 2016, 10:59 PM   #8
math teacher

Why would anyone pay $40 for used dies, when they are $35.49 for new RCBS or $28.79 for new Lee at MidwayUsa?
Old July 31, 2016, 11:09 PM   #9
Scorch

If you bother to scroll down, someone else asked the same question and the seller confirmed that both dies are marked RCBS.
Old July 31, 2016, 11:45 PM   #10
FrankenMauser

Lee die, all the way.
That's one pig-headed seller.
Old August 1, 2016, 07:52 AM   #11
F. Guffey

Quote:
If you bother to scroll down,

Scorch, I bothered, I took the time, I posted the question. I should have contacted M. DelaCruz. Somehow I believe Manny is going to get involved, I hope I did not disappointed him but I thought contacting the seller was the first best choice.

CW308, Frank Mauser, math teacher, thank you for the responses. The seller’s last reply had me wondering if something went on between Lee and RCBS I did not know about.

The seller demanded I contact RCBS, problem; I talked to RCBS about one of my Rock Chcukers very recently, the conservation went OK but I do not like it when I tell them who is calling and they say "OH! You again".

F. Guffey
Old August 1, 2016, 09:00 AM   #12
Jim Watson

"someone else asked the same question and the seller claimed that both dies are marked RCBS."

Fixed that for you, as the Internet Generation says.
Pictures are suspiciously fuzzy when showing the body of the seating die with roll mark.
Old August 1, 2016, 09:15 AM   #13
higgite

Wonder how he explains why the "RCBS" seating die in the box doesn't look like the RCBS seating die in the picture on the instructions in the box lid.
Old August 1, 2016, 09:49 AM   #14
briandg

One of the things that makes me absolutely positive is that rcbs wouldn't use aluminum. Not a chance. They rise a lot of other alternative metals on various products, but nothing I have owned contained aluminum other than my scale pan.

Aluminum wears too badly, bends too easily, dents easily. Imo, the standard die design of steel body and threaded steel components is as good as it can be made. The idea of the die is to have precise, concentric tools.. hatever the accents, such as c carbide or elliptical spindles, the core design features have worked, unchanged, since before my father was born
Old August 1, 2016, 01:26 PM   #15
cw308

F.Guffey
That response from RCBS customer service was surprising, I guess RCBS could have hired an A Hole. That response should be reported. Maybe he's a friend of the seller.
Old August 1, 2016, 02:43 PM   #16
briandg

actually, I dealt with them myself a couple months ago, and the guy I exchanged emails with was snotty, plain old nasty. Rather condescending, the sort of person I would have called to my office. Didn't bother reporting him as the complaint would have gone straight to his email. Nobody should all caps a full message.
Old August 2, 2016, 09:05 AM   #17
F. Guffey

Quote:
The seller demanded I contact RCBS, problem; I talked to RCBS about one of my Rock Chcukers very recently, the conservation went OK but I do not like it when I tell them who is calling and they say "OH! You again".
Quote:
F.Guffey
That response from RCBS customer service was surprising, I guess RCBS could have hired an A Hole. That response should be reported. Maybe he's a friend of the seller.
CW308, please forgive, the conversation with RCBS had to do with a ram falling out of the bottom of one of my ROCK CHUCKERS, they could not have been nicer. RCBS treats me better than I deserve. The seller demanded I contact RCBS, I did not contact RCBS because I had just talked to them about the ROCK CHUCKER; I did not want my welcome warring thin as in "OH! You again".

My apologies to everyone.

F. Guffey
Old August 2, 2016, 09:40 AM   #18
cw308

F. Guffey
Thats OK, your really giving that Rockchucker a workout. That's my only press, have used it for 25+ years & its never given me a problem. I'm reloading 500 cases max.per year though. Be Well. Chris
Old August 2, 2016, 10:00 AM   #19
jaguarxk120

Why not ask the seller to post a better picture of the RCBS stamping of the die in question.
Old August 2, 2016, 10:14 AM   #20
849ACSO

I would bet a payroll check that seating die is a Lee.......... my $.02......

Last edited by 849ACSO; August 2, 2016 at 11:12 AM.
Old August 2, 2016, 11:05 AM   #21
mikld

Hmmm. Never seen a seating die made by RCBS with an aluminum knob on it...

If you brought this up to the seller and he denied the fact that that is a Lee die, I think I'd contact the auction site and lodge a complaint. You did give him a chance to own up to his "mistake"...
Old August 2, 2016, 11:06 PM   #22
Scorch

Here's what the RCBS dies look like, and they even cost less!
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/42...5-06-remington
Old August 3, 2016, 02:04 AM   #23
briandg

this story can only get worse, right?

I just noticed something. That's not a two die set. It is a 12029, full length sizer die only, not a set. somebody put these dies together as a set.

Just looking at the box made me think that it was used equipment all along, but I thought that maybe it was just shopworn.

Why this single die was paired up with the lee die if it wasn't by someone who intended to use them just beats me.
Old August 3, 2016, 02:32 PM   #24
F. Guffey

GunBroker response

"Hello,

Thank you for letting us know.

We did look up the messages that were sent via our system and we didn’t find that anything he said broke terms and conditions.

The only thing we saw that he said was
Quote:
“I don't want to get into a debate with you buy I told you I have the dies in front of me. They both have RCBS on them. If you don't believe me contact RCBS and ask them. This discussion is over. Thank you for your concern. Have a good weekend.” And “I just got out the RCBS 2 Die Set. Both dies are marked RCBS on each of the dies and they are in the green RCBS box. Hope you have a pleasant weekend.”
If you do not wish to interact with this user, you don’t have to. If you feel like you need or want to, you can always block this user by going to the selling section on your account and clicking on “bid blocking”

Put in his information (user name) and fill out the information and then you will be blocked from doing business with each other.

Let us know if you have any questions."

Diane

Customer Support at GunAuction.com

877-486-2828

There is no way I can protect buyers from being taken advantage of. I am at that point in my life I am going to start selling (everything). I signed up to sell on GunBroker after being a member for 8+ years and now I have changed my mind.

F. Guffey
Old August 3, 2016, 02:57 PM   #25
briandg

stupid, a liar, or both, and gun broker handled it very poorly.