The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 11, 2011, 01:00 AM   #1
Venom1956

Fixed Stock with Pistol grip?

Hey guys I just thinking bout tossing a new fore end and stock on an 870 or mossy that I haven't really been using. I am not a big guy 5' 6". I would really like a nice shorter stock with pistol grip, but I HATE those AR stock adapters for shotguns. Does anyone have any suggestions?
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old March 11, 2011, 02:27 AM   #2
zippy13

Not sure what you're looking for. There is often some confusion when talking about a "pistol grip" stock. If you want a detached pistol grip that doesn't look like it came off an AR, good luck. Or, do you want a shotgun stock that looks like it's from an M16A1 or A2 but not the collapsible stock now used on the M4 carbines?

Old March 11, 2011, 06:00 AM   #3
JKump

Check out Choate stocks (www.choatemachinetool.com). They make a shotgun stock w/pistol grip that you can adjust. Look thru the site for your shotgun.

"Everyone has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth".
Old March 11, 2011, 08:19 AM   #4
FAS1

I have a Beretta 1201FP that came new with a Choate fixed stock with a pistol grip. It fits me very well and is fast to shoulder. If needed it can be held one handed with the stock tucked under your armpit. While certainly not preferred, you could fire a shot if you had a flashlight or something else in your other hand. Looks similar to the 3rd pic above (the black one).
Old March 11, 2011, 09:28 AM   #5
StuntManMike

SpeedFeed IV-S has a 13" LOP
Old March 11, 2011, 09:47 AM   #6
Spats McGee
Staff

There are a variety of good products out there, but I'm also going to recommend Choate. They're good products and great people to deal with.
Old March 11, 2011, 03:04 PM   #7
Venom1956

Ah yes sorry bout that confusion I was extremely tired when I typed that post. It made much more sense to me last night...
I didn't even think about pistol gripped vs detached.
Yes I meant I dislike the collapsable AR stocks on shotguns. one from a A1 or A2 would be perfect if it were a bit shorter.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm not a huge shotgunner so rather then search all over the internet for stocks I figured I would ask you all whats what in shotguns.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old March 11, 2011, 05:01 PM   #8
oneounceload

Quote:
whats what in shotguns.
And THAT depends greatly on your intended usage - I am a target and bird hunter guy, so a straight English grip or the standard pistil grip in Zippy's pictures is what's what for me.....folks into tactical HD usage might prefer one of the other types
Old March 11, 2011, 07:36 PM   #9
zippy13

Here's a Remington 870 Express Tactical A-Tacs Camo, it has a sort of M16-looking stock. I don't recommend this type of stock for a Mossberg because it makes operating the safety and action lock difficult. The Remington controls are locate more ergonomically for a detached pistol grip stock.

Remington image
Old March 19, 2011, 01:20 AM   #10
Venom1956

Its not really a NEED or for a particular purpose it'll probably just be on my turkey gun or maybe a HD whatever. I just figured I would get some opinions. Only thing that I can actually touch are the ones that are on various 870s at the shop or those el cheapo ATI stocks...
Old March 19, 2011, 08:01 AM   #11
MTT TL

Most of the short stocks are AR style so I am not sure what you are looking for. Knoxx makes a really nice recoil reducing one.

It will absorb some of the recoil and give you the pistol grip.
Old March 19, 2011, 10:23 AM   #12
zippy13

Perhaps the Remington Sureshot Thumbhole with a 13-3/4" LOP is more to your liking.
Old March 19, 2011, 12:27 PM   #13
Venom1956

Quote:
Most of the short stocks are AR style so I am not sure what you are looking for. Knoxx makes a really nice recoil reducing one.
See and I really LIKE that one. but I am just not a huge fan of the regular 6 pos stock, i hate how the rattle and such when the lock up. some AR replacement stocks don't seem to have that problem.
Can that Knoxx one swap the rear out for any of the aftermarket ones, while still getting the recoil reduction?

Thanks for that Rem to zippy. I might have to look it to that. I apologize if I am being difficult. Its just im not very tall and most shotguns feel so long. I was hoping to find something that made it more enjoyable to use.
Old March 19, 2011, 01:29 PM   #14
zippy13

I apologize if I am being difficult.
No need to apologize, you're not being difficult, just selective. It's your gun and the choice is yours. There are a whole lot of stocks available for R-870 and M-500 guns, so take your time and be sure to get exactly what you want. We're not trying to get you to buy a certain stock, but to point out some of the various style types available.
Old March 19, 2011, 03:08 PM   #15
k511

I bought the Remington sureshot and put it on my 20ga wingmaster for my girlfriend who has a problem with guns being too big, it works great. Very light, works for both and right handed people, and the super cell recoil pad that is included works great.
Old March 19, 2011, 04:17 PM   #16
zippy13

Yesterday, I shot a synthetic stocked R-870 Express for the first time, a HD version fitted with a vent rib upland barrel. Having just shot my R-1100, I was surprised by the short HD Express fore-end. I had to reach a lot farther forward than my natural grip location to get control of that mini-cob. Some shooters, feeling awkward having to reach that far forward, might be led to think their butt stock is too long.

I realize the longer standard fore-end isn't desirable to some because it may interfere with a sidesaddle ammo holder or other tacti-cool add-ons. If you're going to use your Express as it came out of the box, and it has one of those abbreviated fore-ends, you might want to give the more ergonomically longer one a try.

Compare this 870's fore-end with the one in post #9
Old March 19, 2011, 07:41 PM   #17
TheKlawMan

I have a black synthetic 870 Express that came with the Law Enforcement fore-end and it is a bit of a reach for me. It's impossible for my 5' wife.

The selling point for it is 2 fold if you want a dedicated tactical stock. First, it allows for a sidesaddle to produce slightly ahead of the receiver and, second, you can load the magazine with it racked back. The fore-end doesn't over lap the loading port.

The downside is as you noticed. You have to reach out pretty well to get to the forend. The sporter fore-end comes back a full 2" nearer to the shooter,

You raise an interesting point. I even called Remington to order a 13" Youth stock this morning, only to learn it is closed for the weekend. Perhaps I don't so much need that short butt stock as much as the longer forend. I think I will just get the forend wrench (it can be done with needle nose pliers but I understand it is much easier to properly center the forend with a wrench). First I think I will call a gunsmith and see if there is a minimum, as I could use a mid barrel bead for trap and the two are ez jobs for a smith. I would rather give the $25 to a smith than clutter my garage with another one time use tool
Old March 19, 2011, 10:52 PM   #18
Scattergun Bob

zippy13

Quote:
I was surprised by the short HD Express fore-end. I had to reach a lot farther forward than my natural grip location to get control of that mini-cob. Some shooters, feeling awkward having to reach that far forward, might be led to think their butt stock is too long.
A very good observation, Pete. Many moons ago, actualy before my time in a patrol cruiser, electric auto locks were developed to securely hold our fighting scatterguns in place and deny their use to folks who did not know the trick to release them. The problem was that the standard sporting for-end interfered with the lock, so they were altered (sawed off). We sheep dogs simply had to learn "to deal with" the extra reach this caused! Because they are Cop, Tacti-cool items, and with the endless quest to up-ammo counts (remembering that side-saddles are a relatively new idea in scatterguns), these for-ends have become entrenched. They do nothing to help our shooting / they are just another thing WE have to learn to deal with.

Slam the working parts back and forward HARD, they all work the same!

Good Luck and Be Safe
Old March 19, 2011, 11:55 PM   #19
zippy13

Bob, my friend, thanks for your interesting comments. I learn something new from each of your postings.

It's funny how history seems to repeat itself: Back in 1950, when the 870 was introduced, the standard model (870-AP @ $70) had a short corncob style fore-end. For ten dollars more you got the Deluxe version. The upgrade included an extended target style fore-end. This continued until the late 50's when the standard grade corncob was extended to the same length as the deluxe finger-grooved one. That seemed to be the end of the short fore-ends. Surprise, fast forward half a century and we're back to the short corncobs.