The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old November 25, 2010, 01:04 PM   #1
ibdecent

Anyone have a guess at value?

My dad has this Huglu over-under 12 ga. My uncle sorted through over 500 guns to pick this one and another one when he was in turkey for operation enduring freedom. It's a very well made and the craftsmanship is very intricate, all done by hand. the ducks are gold inlays. any insights would be awesome, thanks,
brando
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2128.jpg (251.5 KB, 125 views)
Old November 26, 2010, 06:05 AM   #2
Hawg

According to average prices on Gunbroker it's worth about 1000.
Old November 27, 2010, 06:14 PM   #3
ibdecent

hmm...for the craftsmanship, seems kind of low, but i guess it isn't a mainstream brand. thanks.
I know the picture isn't the most descriptive. It has burl walnut stock with really nice grain with a matte finish, all the checkering and stipling is hand carved. all of the engraving on the metal is done by hand. the gold inlays stick out about an 1/8". i wish i had more info on it, but it doesn't have a model number or anything. my uncle said he was told that the parts between guns are not interchangable.

thanks for the input.
Old November 29, 2010, 05:49 PM   #4
globemaster3

ibdecent, the shotgun you have appears to be an Huglu 103. I bought a couple myself when deployed to Incirlik AB, Turkey in 2002. The factory store is located right outside the gate and down the alley about 1/4 mile. Purchase price at the time was ~$250 each with gold mallards on the side and moderate engraving. The Gun Bible at the time still showed $1,000. You also had to complete an ATF form and send it back to the US since bringing it back constituted importation. The store had the forms there and completed most of it for you.

If you ordered from the store, they had options available like the engraving yours shows, laser engraving of logos, names, etc, more emblishments on the metal, etc for additional cost.

Mine are nice shooters, but beware the double fire. It's a common complaint that sometimes you pull the trigger and get a double dose. A couple guys I know sent them to the repair center and got them fixed, but I can't remember if it cost them outside shipping costs.

http://www.hugluarms.com/home.htm