The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 19, 2017, 11:44 PM   #1
tallball

CZ-83

I got this a few months ago but haven't had a chance to shoot it and evaluate it properly. I took it to the range yesterday and was able to give it some time and attention.

It's a CZ-83, 380acp, that I got from CDI Sales for around $300. It is in nice condition. It reminds me of my old Makarov a little bit, but it's much more refined, with a better trigger and double-stack magazine.

I shot five groups of ten (a box of ammo) from seven yards. The first group I aimed for the middle of the target. It was obviously shooting below POA. I tried shooting a bit higher for the other 40 rounds. I am a mediocre shot, but was fairly pleased by the results. It has a nice trigger and is decently accurate for what is, in my giant hands, a smallish pistol. My shooting buddy has one too. I would recommend them. I like my Beretta 84, but I like this one better.

You can see the first shots were low and to the left, with one bad flyer. Each batch of ten the POI was a little bit different. Overall I am pleased. For me that is okay shooting, rapid fire with a pistol I'm not used to yet. I'll do better next time. I forget what kind of old cheap ammo I was shooting, but I had zero malfunctions.

Last edited by tallball; February 19, 2017 at 11:56 PM.
Old February 20, 2017, 12:43 AM   #2
Ibmikey

I have three of the CZ 82 in 9x18 Makarov caliber, i had a dull blue put on one of the pistols, platinum and blacknCeracoat on another and OD Ceracoat with the small parts black on the third. All three have checkered walnut grips from Grips4U, check out their offerings it will really add a change to your pistol.
I really enjoy shooting the 82 and have not experienced the severe problem with recoil a couple of posters once complained of, although the pistol is fairly large it could make a nice CC piece with the right holster.
Old February 20, 2017, 04:37 PM   #3
amd6547

I also have a CZ82. It is very accurate and reliable.
However, unlike the OP, I much prefer the Beretta 84f I bought from Coles. Since I got the Beretta, the CZ has become a safe queen.
Old February 20, 2017, 05:00 PM   #4
Ibmikey

AMD6547, Funny I bought my 84 from Aim, one morning they announced they had a few " best of the best". Sold out in an hour, mine had no exterior or interior marking to suggest it had ever been fired....with a set of walnut from Beretta it is a beauty....unlike you the CZ82 is my choice over the Beretta.