The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 1, 2013, 11:31 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

what is up with plastic ammo boxes...

sorry, this is a rant... I'm really frustrated right now...

I get the primer / powder / bullet thing right now... however I was just able to pick up 8000 primers in the size & brand I like, from Cabelas, at pre-hype prices this week... & yet Midway keeps pushing back the date ( I know, it's the supplier ) on the plastic ammo boxes I want...

how tough can it be to get blow molded plastic boxes... in MN, there is a plastics place in every county... the "straw" for me, is this last time they pushed back the delivery date on some boxes that were supposed to be in yesterday ( so I've been waiting the last couple weeks paitently ), to June... ( 4 months ( more ) to wait for plastic boxes... COME ON !!! )

is there some rush on plastics right now I don't know about ??? I'm so irritated ( that word replaces the really word I wanted to insert ) right now, I'm temped to go to plastics place down the road & have my own made...

my situation... I'm just finishing up the interiour of my new walk in gun safe / reloading room... I reload for alot of calibers, & I like to color code between similar cartridges... I E. clear for 45 auto rim, & colored for 45 acp... clear for 9mm, colored for 380... I'm a long time hobbiest, not a newbie looking to fully outfit... I guess my timing sucks that I'm trying to redo my ammo storage, at this time of "crisis"... but I'm sorry... this lack of plastics just blows me away

BTW... Cabelas is also out of the boxes I'm looking for...
Old March 1, 2013, 11:49 AM   #2
lamarw

Have you checked with Berry's? I was just getting ready to order some. Glad you warned us.
Old March 1, 2013, 12:04 PM   #3
Overscore

Quote:
I'm just finishing up the interiour of my new walk in gun safe
That isn't something you read every day.
Old March 1, 2013, 12:08 PM   #4
buck460XVR

It's funny. By coincidence I stopped by the local Ace Hardware yesterday to pick up some of the green 100 round boxes they've had on the shelves for years. I know they're the same ones because I know the owner, and he told me last time I bought a couple, I was the only one he knew that bought them. Yesterday they were all gone. In all calibers. You could see the shape of them in the dust around where they had been, they had been there so long, untouched. Didn't even ask if they were gettin' more, just went home and picked a coupla empty plastic coffee cans outta the recyclables.
Old March 1, 2013, 12:08 PM   #5
Jbotto

I have been at the Scheel's in both Fargo and Grand Forks now, picking up a few of various colors that I can use, but I'll say the aisles that usually have stacks of them, are starting to dwindle. I should be good for awhile though as far as ammo boxes go, but pistol primers I'm still short on.... I was one reloader that didn't plan ahead on those...
Old March 1, 2013, 12:11 PM   #6
Wyoredman

It's not just the plastic boxes! The cardboard/styrofoam boxes are sold out in many places also. I have a feeling that there has been 100's of millions of rounds of ammo made at home in the past few months!
Old March 1, 2013, 12:12 PM   #7
Doc Intrepid

The Panic of 2013 hasn't only wiped out most sources of ammunition, ARs, AKs, and many handguns, but nearly all reloading supplies are gone as well.

It varies from region to region, but I'm not surprised you can't find even plastic boxes. This knee-jerk reaction has been broad and deep, from coast to coast, and it may linger through the remainder of the Obama Administration depending on a number of factors.

It's going to take awhile before things begin to settle down.

Maybe install some new light fixtures inside your walk-in vault?

Just get your zen on and keep on scanning various sites periodically. You'll get them eventually, but I suspect it will take far longer than you ever expected.
Old March 1, 2013, 12:17 PM   #8
F. Guffey

Magnum Wheel Man

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sorry, this is a rant... I'm really frustrated right now...

Magnum Wheel Man, This stuff does not lock me up, it does not drive me to the curb, when at the range I ask (every time) about colleting empty ammo containers, fiber and or plastic or a combination like a fiber box with plastic trays or strips. Then there is the storing of cases that are sorted by head stamps, I purchase bundle of K/D (knocked-down as in flattened) boxes that have 25 boxes to the bundle. Cost is about 16 cents each, each 4”X4”X4” holds 80 30/06 cases standing up. For 38 Special, 44 Mag and 45 ACP I cut the box in half for 9MM cases 9mm will double stack.

The 6”x4”x4” will hold 100 30/06 cases.

http://www.packagingsupplies.com/sta...ted_boxes.html

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/...FQXnnAodrmwA1A

F. Guffey
Old March 1, 2013, 12:18 PM   #9
Constrictor

I dont get all these threads. Its been well reported that there is a run on all guns, ammo and everything to do with guns. I would assume this to mean everything for shooting, primers, powder, bullets, raw lead to mold bullets, molds, 22lr ammo, cleaning kits, patches, solvents, brushes, gun safes, gun pouches, gun cases both plastic and metal, bullet boxes, reloading equipment, scales, powder measures, dies, presses, bolts to mount presses, wrenches to tighten bolts on presses, gloves to hold wrenches to tighten bolts on presses, and so on and so forth. everything to do with our hobby is in short supply.
Old March 1, 2013, 12:21 PM   #10
chiefr

West to a gun show 3 weeks ago. There was a guy who has hundreds of Berrys in all sizes for sale. I would contact Berrys. Also check out Frankford Arsenal. They make plastic ammo boxes too.
Old March 1, 2013, 12:32 PM   #11
F. Guffey

I receive a call from another reloadser, he was at a reloader supply store, seems there was not equipment available to put together for loading 9MM, they needed dies. I agreed to sell the dies and deliver to a Sam’s Club parking lot, while waiting I received a call from another reloader, shooter, collector/smith, builder, he suggested I drop by, I did, the sky is not falling ‘here’.

I did offer to help the proud owner of the new equipment with setting up and using his new equipment.

F. Guffey
Old March 1, 2013, 02:14 PM   #12
serf 'rett

No shortage of the Ziploc storage "boxes" I use for storage. Saw no indicator that Berrys is short of the boxes I use for range trips. Just received my order for five 50 rd and eight 100 rd 45ACP boxes. Hard to beat their prices, especially if you can buy the 50 piece bulk packs.
Old March 1, 2013, 02:30 PM   #13
Marco Califo

No shortage of empty 1 gallon water bottles

No shortage of empty 1 gallon water bottles

Cut the top off and you have an X-hundred container.

This shortage hysteria is feeding itself. Take a deep breath, go shoot your oldest ammo (SLOWLY), and DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT!

Like eating too much corn on the cob at a 4th of July BBQ, "this to shall pass".
Old March 1, 2013, 03:01 PM   #14
Magnum Wheel Man

I have some Berry's boxes... probably ordered from Midway ??? I didn't realize I could buy them from Berry's direct... I haven't tried yet, but the site lists a possible 4-8 week lead time...

BTW... went to Frankford Arsenal's website, doesn't look like they sell directly, just have to "find a dealer"

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; March 4, 2013 at 08:43 AM.
Old March 1, 2013, 03:15 PM   #15
Wyoredman

I use zip-lock bags to store reloads in. A 1/2 gallon bag is perfect for 250 .223 rounds. Zip it, fold it over tape with black electrical tape. Most brands have the white label area to record the load data, etc. They stack really well on the shelf, also. And, you can use the bag as a place to put your dirty empties after you shoot the ammo!

Works great!
Old March 1, 2013, 03:34 PM   #16
Sevens

I've got plastic ammo boxes from at least 4-5 different companies and my favorite by far are the Berry's boxes.

If I had to make a wild guess as to why they are hard to get right now it's not that Berry's is running out of plastic... it's probably that Berry's is occupied making bullets and perhaps even making a buttload of their terrific tumblers.

It could be as simple as production resources are being funneled to other items, and not so much a materials issue.
Old March 1, 2013, 05:25 PM   #17
Fire_Moose

Re: what is up with plastic ammo boxes...

Tupperware.

Gladware.

Press and seal sticky paper stuff.
Old March 1, 2013, 06:30 PM   #18
serf 'rett

I think the 4-8 wait is for bullets. Contact them and ask.
Old March 1, 2013, 06:37 PM   #19
serf 'rett

I'm guessing Fire Moose is reasoning that anyone with a walk in safe can afford that high dollar Tupperware, while we peasants are Ziplocing and whacking up plastic jugs.
Old March 1, 2013, 06:40 PM   #20
zxcvbob

An old coffee can isn't good enough for ya?

Old March 1, 2013, 07:23 PM   #21
dickttx

I have noticed the lack of ammo boxes at Midway too. I use a different color for each caliber and they are usually my fill in if I need a few dollars to exceed their $25 minimum.
I have been using the CaseGard since the 60's and am too old to change now.
Old March 1, 2013, 07:55 PM   #22
hooligan1

I usually can get all the plastic cartridge boxes I need from my local gunshop. Some is MTM, (which is decent stuff) and for less money I buy the JnJ boxes which are nice also, at at less than 4.00 each, for a rifle box that hold fifty Large Rifle cartridges....
The only thing this newborn year has constrained for me i powder and primers and brass, but I reconned, and found what can use to get by this hard time.

And F. Guffey, I would like to take two seconds of my overwhelmingly busy hollywood career (just kiddin) to thank you for helping another in his endevors.

Last edited by hooligan1; March 1, 2013 at 08:31 PM.
Old March 1, 2013, 08:29 PM   #23
Cheap 870

Country Crock
Old March 1, 2013, 09:40 PM   #24
Sport45

Quote:
I receive a call from another reloadser, he was at a reloader supply store, seems there was not equipment available to put together for loading 9MM, they needed dies. I agreed to sell the dies and deliver to a Sam’s Club parking lot...

I did offer to help the proud owner of the new equipment with setting up and using his new equipment.

F. Guffey
Kudos!
Old March 2, 2013, 10:39 AM   #25
snuffy

Well, if you can get some of the berry's boxes, don't forget a good supply of tape to hols them closed!

Last time I ordered bullets from berry's, I got some 9mm boxes. After picking up 50 shells from the gravel when the box popped open, I started tapping each one shut after filling them.

A fluke,,, perhaps? Since so many recommend them, I guess they may have had a bad batch? No big deal, I used scotch tape, that's too brittle, so now use the redneck solution, duct tape!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?