The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 17, 2008, 07:57 PM   #76
Covert Mission

No, and I'm not proud of it! I get lazy or distracted. I'm working on it.
Old January 18, 2008, 01:43 PM   #77
Th0r

In the USA would you ever be allowed to take a gun into a college even as a self defence weapon?
I mean looking at the statistics of spree murderers, where your gun could mean life or death for tens of lives, the most likely place thats going to occur is your college or other educational building.
But in 2007 there were about 3 shooting incidents in a mall, and thats the most likely place that I would have to use it.
Old January 18, 2008, 02:17 PM   #78
mvpel

Most colleges, in states where it's not prohibited by law, forbid their students and staff from carrying via contractual restrictions - you agree as a condition of enrollment or employment that if you carry, you are subject to expulsion or termination.

Here in New Hampshire, people who are not affiliated with the college or university, and not subject to the contractual disarmament, are not prohibited from carrying on campus due to RSA 154:26, the statewide preemption law.
1 Samuel 13:19
Old January 21, 2008, 01:53 PM   #79
Derius_T

I would hope with the recent string of college and mall shootings that someone pulls their head out of their hind quarters and starts looking at carry laws as they pertain to those places.
Old January 21, 2008, 05:47 PM   #80
Socrates

Just the reverse. Now, at sporting events at our local high school, and colleges, they metal detect with wands, for weapons. This ensures that between your car, and the event, you have no weapons for defense, coming or going.
Old January 22, 2008, 02:30 PM   #81
macsr01

I always carrry unless I am at a Federal Trial or similar place. The judges usually dont like a lot of firearms floating around nside their court rooms.
Old January 22, 2008, 02:52 PM   #82
Laserlips

Of course, why not?

House & car keys in right front pocket..

Wallet in right back pocket..

LWS in Hedley wallet holster in left back pocket... (I'm a lefty)

Fire up the Harley Mama, lets go to Wally World!...

JP
Old January 24, 2008, 11:18 PM   #83
TripIII

I have no criminal record (that's worth something), I paid my $90 for CCW class, my $100 for my CCW permit, my $800 for the 45 of my choice, my $20 for good personal defense rounds, my $75 initiation fee to the range, my $25 range maintenance fee, my $60 for 2-year NRA membership, $110 yearly range membership fee, a bunch of dollars for training ammo on a continual basis...

...You bet I carry everywhere (it's legal), just like my (empty) wallet!
Old January 25, 2008, 02:28 PM   #84
Stevie-Ray

I go armed with at least my P32 at all times unless prevented by law.
Old January 25, 2008, 05:04 PM   #85
CGSteve8718

85%

Or, I carry so much that I thought I was carrying today, when I actually wasn't. Good thing nothing happened.
Old January 30, 2008, 03:08 PM   #86
zxd9

GA has a lot a weird restrictions on where you can carry. That being said, I carry whenever/wherever it is legal.
Old January 30, 2008, 10:02 PM   #87
vox rationis

I always carry when I'm out and about, except at work that is a strict "gun free zone", that, as we all know, translates into: "attention to all criminals and would be killers: this is a target rich environment full of defenseless people that are totally vulnerable to your attack".
Old January 30, 2008, 11:02 PM   #88
usaf207cwf

80 percent
Old January 31, 2008, 02:38 AM   #89
Cellfone

Yes. I carry every time I go out.
Old January 31, 2008, 10:18 AM   #90
MACVSOG

I have no criminal record (that's worth something),

You're really a lucky guy;

In my country a 45 cost around $1,000 plus 7% of taxes.
Then start the process for be authorized to have a gun cost around $500. The CCW permit is an extra money...usually another
$500.
Old January 31, 2008, 11:24 AM   #91
Night Watch
Registration in progress

Always! Often with 2 or 3 pistols, too. (My wife's got one!)

Yes, when you own firearms you always have to come home, 'carefully'! Whenever we approach the house I begin to scope out the property from, at least, 100 yards out. Before we park, the seat belts are already removed; the interior dome light is deliberately turned off; and, the engine isn't shutdown until after the vehicle's doors are opened.

(My next door neighbor was attacked and shot last year. I had some trouble, too; but, I was luckier than him. It should be; it used to be; but, it isn't the best of neighborhoods, anymore.)

We don't go up the walkway together in order to approach the front door; instead, we move separately. Upon arrival home, and especially at night, I'm always on high alert. Were we to be attacked, we have several pre-selected spots that could be used as cover.

I, also, know where all the places are that an attacker might try to hide! As we move forward my eyes will constantly range from one spot to the other. After the front door is unlocked if I don't see, at least, one of the cats standing there waiting for us, then, I KNOW I've got a problem! Which is, 'Why' the Pitbull is usually with us in the truck; and, I like to send her in first, anyway!

Perhaps it should be added that there is no such thing as being 100% safe. My neighbor owned a gun. He, also, had: a large guard dog, motion detectors, and outside security lights; but, he got shot anyway, and will now be carrying two of those 9mm slugs with him for the rest of his life.

What did he do wrong? He got comfortable and tended to put his guard down when he was at home. He also left a large, first floor, dining room window open; and, at 1:30 in the morning, that's what almost got him killed!

It's been about a year now; and, whoever shot him has, yet, to be caught. Not a good situation!
Old February 1, 2008, 09:37 PM   #92
vox rationis

Holy smokes man that's a lot of stress to have to go through to get into your own home..have you thought about moving? Good tactics though, and I pity the fool that will try to victimize you though
Old February 1, 2008, 11:49 PM   #93
jamaica

Quote:
In the USA would you ever be allowed to take a gun into a college even as a self defence weapon?
In Utah you can legally carry in all schools. About the only places you can't carry are restricted areas, federal buildings and some churches.

Hmm, what was the original question? Oh ya, do you carry when you go out?

Yes! I just carry every day at home or elsewhere. Seldom do I need to go where it is restricted. The last time that happened, I was called to Federal Jury duty. I didn't carry in the court. In fact they had metal detectors at the door.
Old February 2, 2008, 07:41 AM   #94
match308

75% of the time I carry. The other 25% of the time I enter restricted areas or go out and plan to have some alcohol intake. I feel somewhat guilty about the 75% and I fear that when I really need it, I may not have it. I carry various sharp things 100% of the time that could help me get to a more leathal option.
Old February 2, 2008, 09:20 AM   #95
YZR

I always carry except for prohibited areas & the gym
Old February 2, 2008, 09:21 AM   #96
Dwight55

+1, night watch

I am in the process of adding some better security measures to our place as the boogers are coming out of the inner city and hitting some of the outlaying places, . . . and mine is one they would like to hit (though, thank God, very few of them know it). We don't have much cash around, but if they got my gun safe, . . . I might be able to hear them whoop & holler if it wasn't too far away when they opened it.

I, too, am very careful approaching the house, . . . at least in orange alert, and sometimes in high red, . . . depending on what is going on.

Just wanted you to know you are not alone, . . . may God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old February 2, 2008, 12:25 PM   #97
Para Bellum

and at home

and24/7 at home. If you think you are safe (just) because you're at home - then think twice. I alone know 6 people who were robbed at their homes.

Stay safe,
PB
Old February 6, 2008, 07:29 PM   #98
fat old gun nut

to carry or not to carry that is the question.....

My carry pistol is so comfortable that I forget that I have it. Most recently--like last Sunday I was going into a Gun Show and over heard the cop asking if anyone had a gun or ammo cause the had to be strapped. It dawned on me I had my carry piece in my hip pocket. I had to retreat to my truck to leave it while I spent 3 hrs "shopping".
Old February 8, 2008, 10:45 AM   #99
38SnubFan

I always carry when and where legal. I can forget my watch, sometimes forget the wallet (which is a big no-no since my LTCF is in it), but the gun is never forgotten. I've always been taught "better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men and women stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -A token of appreciation for the good cops.

"Good cheer and steady aim are always fashionable."

"Will...if need be!"

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΑΛΒΕ!
Old February 16, 2008, 09:13 AM   #100
ECHOONE

Always