The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 31, 2014, 08:16 AM   #1
garryc

Lee Factory Crimp Die/ Other stuff

I got one to crimp the non cannalure bullets in 357 loads. These loads are 9.4 grains of Unique with a 125 grain bullet. This die will actually crimp to a point that it rings the bullet without buckling the case. That is what I did, to the point I can see a ring.

I know that ring is not the best for accuracy, but fine accuracy is not a criteria here. These are combat drill loads and all those are 12 yards or less. No need to build a load for a criteria that does not exist.

Yes I could have used 2400, H110 or something along those lines and MAYBE gotten a SLIGHT increase in velocity in these 3 and 4 inch barrels. But that speculative increase really means nothing and is not worth the increased muzzle flash it causes. Some believe that massive flash means the round is more powerful, it ain't. Once you run those over a chronograph you find that you are dealing with that flash for a very small, and meaningless, gain.

Generally I use that H110 in revolvers in 44 mag or 45 colt when I pushing heavy cast bullets of 300 grains plus. Or in rifles where there is enough barrel to actually make it useful.
Old March 31, 2014, 09:47 AM   #2
Nick_C_S

Ideally, a taper crimp die is what you want to use. If you load a lot of 38 Special stuff and/or plated bullets, I'd recommend making the one-time investment of getting one.

To me, a TCD is so useful, I have two - one is dedicated just for loading all my 148g DEWC (lead or plated) target/competition rounds - so I can just screw it into the press and go; no need to adjust it every time I load these common rounds. The second TCD is for everything else.

It sounds like your roll crimp die is digging into the plating. I'm pretty sure that should be avoided. The rounds aren't ruined (I'd go ahead and shoot them); but with a roll crimp die, you should only crimp very lightly.

I also want to commend you with your approach to propellant selection. You are exactly right: Yes, you can probably squeeze a few more fps by using 2400 or H110, but with your 3" - 4" barreled guns, the big gains would be only with muzzle flash. I see it out at the range and read it here on the forums all too often. I know it's anecdotal, but it would seem that most loaders' powder choices are too slow for the application. And many simply don't factor in the barrel length of the firearm from which the ammunition will be discharged. I read it here. And I see the "flame throwers" out at the range. I just shake my head, and add in a snicker for good measure.

With 357 Mag, 125g bullets, and 3" or 4" barrels, I see no reason to load with anything slower than Power Pistol. Unique is an excellent choice. And your load of 9.4g sounds just about right. But I wouldn't push a plated bullet any further though.
Old March 31, 2014, 10:51 AM   #3
garryc

Not plated Nick, FMJ's