The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 29, 2014, 09:10 AM   #1
Gunnels

Question about Quickload

All, I just received my copy of QuickLoad yesterday. I reviewing the bullet options I don't see much that matched what I use. I reload 380, 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP. I reload exclusively plated (Berry's and Ranier) and lead bullets. I don't see anything of this type in the bullet options. Are you creating your own bullets in Quickload or are there updates that I should download. When I look at the option to create your own bullets screen I don't see anywhere to specify that a bullet is Plated or Lead as opposed to Jacketed. I would think it would make a difference.
Beretta Cougar 8045F, 8040D, and 8000D
Old March 29, 2014, 10:00 AM   #2
steve4102

Try this.

Select your cartridge.

At the top Select " Data, add changes..."

3rd one down select "Projectile/ bullet data"

Select "Search bullets of Same Diameter"

Save.
Old March 29, 2014, 10:16 AM   #3
higgite

The version I got last year, V.3.8, has a Ranier bullet file, "ranierballistics.bul".
Old March 29, 2014, 08:57 PM   #4
jepp2

Quote:
When I look at the option to create your own bullets screen I don't see anywhere to specify that a bullet is Plated or Lead as opposed to Jacketed. I would think it would make a difference.
Ver 3.5 also has a Rainier bullet file.

In general I rarely find the bullet listed in the database that I am using. So I just add it. The only difference with lead vs plated, vs jacketed is the starting pressure you use. Just pick a value between lead and jacketed. Will not make that much difference.
Old March 29, 2014, 10:06 PM   #5
Clark

If the bullet is not in the Quickload library, I measure how long the bullet is and enter than.

The length of bullet and the weight of the bullet are all I need for handguns.

Quickload is usually wrong about overloaded straight wall hand gun cartridges, as it says in the instructions.

For boat tailed rifles I also have to enter the diameter of the tail and the length of the tail so the Quicktarget section will get the long range stuff more accurate. It still works best if I shoot at long range and put marks on the elevation turret.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?