The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 13, 2018, 09:58 PM   #1
kh1911

1911 hammer drops with Safety on

I just bought a vintage 1911 hammer for my build and I installed it simple as can be. However when checking for safe function of the hammer I noticed that I can fully pull the trigger and "fire" the pistol with the thumb safety engaged. I haven't encountered this problem before and I couldn't find anything helpful on the internet so I'm not quite sure what the solution is. The hammer I had on the gun previously had no issues at all so I'm not sure if the safety needs to be fitted with the hammer or if the hammer is just junk. Any thoughts?
Old January 13, 2018, 11:30 PM   #2
tangolima

The thumb safety blocks the sear. While it is on, the sear should not move at all when the trigger is pulled. I think it may not be the case in your pistol. The sear still moves a little. The original hammer didn't drop because it has more engagement with the hammer. It is not koser although it works.

The hammer you bought is an old part. Someone may have too much a trigger job on it. You may want to recheck to make sure the notch has adequate positive engagement with the sear.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old January 13, 2018, 11:43 PM   #3
rock185

Hello kh1911, what TL said. IF, the vintage hammer is as it should be, your thumb safety will have to be welded up and refitted, or a new safety fitted. The thumb safety is always the last thing fitted whenever any 1911 lockwork parts are modified or changed. I have not been so fortunate as to encounter many 1911 parts that dropped in "simple as can be" AND actually fit properly and safely......ymmv
Old January 14, 2018, 08:48 AM   #4
BILLG

And this is what gives the 1911 a bad name.Kitchen gunsmiths.lol
Old January 14, 2018, 09:15 AM   #5
FITASC

If the original hammer was working properly, wht did you want to replace it?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 14, 2018, 12:30 PM   #6
RickB

Any time you change a hammer or sear, a new safety may be in the cards.
I put a circa 1912 short-spur hammer in my 1918 Colt, and it created an unsafe condition with the safety.
I put a new sear, same brand as the old sear, in a modern Colt, and in that instance the safety needed to have some material removed for a correct fit.
It's a crap shoot.
Old January 14, 2018, 12:40 PM   #7
pblanc

I would test that new hammer for step-off before I did anything. Cock the hammer of the empty gun and disengage the thumb safety. Push forward on the hammer with moderate force. If it steps off the sear, the pistol is unsafe even if you install a new thumb safety.
Old January 14, 2018, 01:52 PM   #8
marine6680

Older designs like the 1911 require more fitting than newer designs. Parts may or may not work as drop in.
Old January 14, 2018, 02:22 PM   #9
T. O'Heir

It a 1911 hammer into a 1911A1? Either one requires fitting. Drop in they ain't.
It a new vintage part or a used vintage part? A used part would be suspect.
Old January 14, 2018, 03:47 PM   #10
ammo.crafter

Preblanc is right on.
Old January 14, 2018, 07:08 PM   #11
kh1911

BillG I am not a kitchen gunsmith. Thank you for contributing nothing
Old January 15, 2018, 08:15 PM   #12
rodfac

Get a copy of Jerry Kuhnhausen's shop manuals on the .45, or the Army's overhaul manual and check it out, both have the proper gauged dimensions for various parts, and the accepted fix for malfunctions... As it now stands, you have a ND looking for a place to happen. I witnessed a 1911 run fully automatic from the first cartridge til the magazine was empty....not pretty, though no one was hurt. As a result, I test all safety functions on any 1911 I intend to load and fire. Out of battery, thumb safety, grip safety and hammer follow through...Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; January 15, 2018 at 08:24 PM.
Old January 15, 2018, 09:36 PM   #13
James K
Member In Memoriam

M1911 and M1911A1 military and countless thousands of similar civilian models have been made by dozens of makers over a period of 104 years (and counting). Guns and parts will vary a lot. Which is why just swapping parts is not always the answer to problems, even though the ads by parts suppliers sometimes make it seen that way.

(The remark about "kitchen table gunsmiths" was probably not necessary, but I can't help but think that a professional pistolsmith would not have posted that question in the first place.)

Jim
Old January 15, 2018, 10:03 PM   #14
RickB

I wear my Kitchen Table Gunsmith badge with pride.
When someone disses Dremel, all I can say is, "A man's got to know his limitations."