The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 7, 2010, 02:41 PM   #1
waltfraz

HSC mauser compared to other 380's

How does hsc mauser imported by interarms compare with other 380's like bersa in same price range.
Old May 7, 2010, 03:00 PM   #2
Winchester_73

My uncle bought one for my aunt some time ago. He said that she quit carring it because she thought it was too heavy for carry. Other than that, my uncle liked it. Thats all I know..... I have 0 personal experience other than seeing pictures.
Old May 7, 2010, 07:28 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

There's no comparison between the Mauser and the Bersa as far as quality goes.

The Mauser was one of the "big three" pre-war German pocket autos that set the standard for the next 60 years.
The Walther PP series has been the most successful, the Sauer 38h never survived WWII, and the Mauser HSc had some success after the war.
It was once described as an Art Deco pistol for the attractive design.

Personally, I think the Walther grip feels better.
The Mauser has a rather odd slide stop design. When the slide is pulled back with an empty magazine or NO magazine it locks open.
It can only be closed by inserting a loaded or UNLOADED magazine, which causes the slide to automatically close.
The safety is a good one in which the firing pin is lifted entirely out of the hammers path, but the hammer doesn't de-cock like the Walther.

There's some question as to whether the post-war Mauser was actually made in German, or in Spain.
The Walther PP series were almost all produced in France, shipped to Germany, proof fired and stamped "Made In Germany".
In Europe, the country in which a gun is officially proof tested is considered to be the country of manufacture.

There's some discussion as to whether Mauser had the guns made in Spain and proofed in Germany in the same way.
Later, Mauser either sold or licensed the design to the Spanish Gamba company who first made exact copies of the HSc, then modified it to a long gripped, double stack magazine design that ruined the original concept of a pocket sized auto.

For what it's worth, one famous gunsmith once said the Mauser HSc was a "2000 round gun". He said that after about that many rounds, the frame would develop cracks in front of the slide rails.
There may be something to this, because I'd seen several war time and one high round count post-war version with frame cracks in that area.

Whatever, the Mauser HSc was a fine quality pistol with some excellent features.
Old May 7, 2010, 09:27 PM   #4
Gary L. Griffiths

I have had two of them over the years, in .32 ACP. IMHO, they are among the finest pistols of the type ever made. Although eclipsed nowadays by the truly tiny .32s and .380s from Kel-Tec, Ruger, et al, the design is one of the safest and most reliable made. The safety blocks the firing pin, rotates it up out of reach of the hammer, and inserts a steel block between the hammer and firing pin! It is one of the few safety designs that is truly safe when engaged.

As noted previously, engaging the safety doesn't drop the hammer, but you can do so in complete safety by merely pulling the trigger -- something that takes a bit of getting used to! Or, you can leave the weapon "cocked and locked" and have the light single-action trigger-pull by disengaging the safety.

For carry nowadays, I have my Kel-Tec PF-9, which is actually a bit smaller than the HSc, and is a full-power 9mm, but I wouldn't turn down the opportunity to own another one in either .32 or .380, if one were to present itself to me at the right price!
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old May 7, 2010, 09:50 PM   #5
Magyar

The Mauser & Walther were stds for decades. The HSc is built like a "brick" @#*t House.....All steel---All business. Mine, btw, is the .32acp...

Old May 8, 2010, 07:44 PM   #6
dgludwig

My HSc (hammer, self-cocking) Mauser pistol was a jammamatic, even with ball ammunition. But my experience is limited to only the one speciman. I really wanted to like it in terms of its fine workmanship and good handling properties but its unreliable nature precluded it from self-defense duties-the very reason I acquired it in the first place.
Old May 9, 2010, 04:34 AM   #7
mete

The nicest 380 I've had is the Remington M51 unfortunately I no longer have it ! It' has the lightest recoil of all of them due to the delayed blowback action. It's also very slim and fits the hand of most shooters very well. Since Remington is back in the pistol business maybe they should make the M51 again.
Old May 9, 2010, 06:48 AM   #8
mec

There was some post war production of these though I forget the exact decade. Guns and Ammo ran a back to back 5000 round torture test of the Hsc and PPK. Somewhere late in the shooting, the hsc threw its extractor but the guy kept on functioning anyway.
Old May 11, 2010, 05:11 PM   #9
waltfraz

I was looking at on that was nickel plated imported by inter arms but when I looked in bluebook it doesn't show on nickel plated or the value.
Old May 11, 2010, 06:18 PM   #10
Dfariswheel

They were available in blued or nickel.
Old May 11, 2010, 06:36 PM   #11
torpeau

Quote:
I was looking at on that was nickel plated imported by inter arms but when I looked in bluebook it doesn't show on nickel plated or the value.
I paid $585 for a nearly new one 3 years ago.
Old May 12, 2010, 05:50 PM   #12
waltfraz

Thanks guys for all the info,made deal bought hsc from orgingal owner he says only fired twice about 40 rounds.nickle plated $350.00
Old May 13, 2010, 05:31 AM   #13
gyvel

Quote:
There's some question as to whether the post-war Mauser was actually made in German, or in Spain.

More correctly, the question would be Germany or Italy, not Spain. Renato Gamba, the manufacturer of the HSc Super pistols, is an Italian company founded in 1625.

In addition, many of the features of the HSc pistol were carried over to the Heckler & Koch HK4 pistol, with many of the same faults.
Old November 3, 2014, 12:16 PM   #14
SOG

I know I am late to add my experience. But Thanks to the guys before me writing in detail. I have a DS and a Hogue 1 piece wood grip. After exam the DS grip pin carefully. It is NOT casted. So, I took a small gunsmith hammer and drift to pound it out. Took about 20-30 hits. Just wrap your DS with some hides or towel. DS now with wood grip. But, the screw was too short!
Old November 3, 2014, 12:55 PM   #15
AustinTX

Not only a necro-post for a 4.5-year-old thread, but one apparently intended for a different thread altogether.
Old November 3, 2014, 07:15 PM   #16
James K
Member In Memoriam

Like the Walther PP and others, the HSc was designed around the .32 ACP, since that was the standard German military and police pocket pistol cartridge, the .380 ACP (9mm Kurz) not being in their supply system. As often happens, the conversion to .380 made the pistol (IMHO) less reliable, though the .380 with its rimless straight case should be more reliable than the .32.

Jim
Old November 5, 2014, 04:03 AM   #17
Ignition Override

gyvel mentioned the compact HK4 handgun.
It resembles the HSc or Sauer 38H? I'm fairly sure that this is what I handled (first time) yesterday inside "Guns And Ammo", on Summer Ave. in Memphis.
It seemed like an interesting gun, but I did not care for the increasing pressure needed for the long DA trigger pull.
The pull wasn't as heavy as the Polish P-64, but did not Begin to compare with the lighter pull/smoothness of my WW2 Sauer 38H.

If you live in west TN and contact MSSA near Memphis, somebody might know the name of an old gent (he's 90!-served in the Pacific) who has a nickle-plated HSc in .32 Auto For Sale.
Whether plated in Deutschland or Amerika, have no idea, but he let me handle it at the recent gun club 'swap'.
He wants $350 for it, but won't give out his home phone #, because his wife dislikes and is afraid of guns.

Last edited by Ignition Override; November 7, 2014 at 08:47 PM.
Old November 5, 2014, 01:22 PM   #18
James K
Member In Memoriam

The HK4 is a modernized copy of the Mauser HSc, not the Sauer 38H which, AFAIK, has not been produced or copied in the post-WWII era.

Jim
Old November 5, 2014, 08:15 PM   #19
44 AMP
Staff

I didn't have an HSc when this thread was "alive" but now the zombie walks, and I do have one, I'll add this.

Quote:
The Mauser has a rather odd slide stop design. When the slide is pulled back with an empty magazine or NO magazine it locks open.
It can only be closed by inserting a loaded or UNLOADED magazine, which causes the slide to automatically close.
MY HSc doesn't work like that. IT does lock open on an empty magazine, but you CANNOT lock it open without an empty magazine in place. And removing the magazine causes the slide to shut.

I don't know if this is normal or not for the HSc, I've only had one. My gun is Nazi proofed, so it must be either pre war or wartime production.

So far, I am still looking for a spare magazine that works. I'm on the third strike in that regard. First one (aftermarket) wouldn't even seat in my gun. It went back, its replacement fit, but would not feed. It went back, and I got my money back. Third one fits fine, locks the slide open empty, but I cannot pull the slide back far enough to chamber a loaded round. I may be able to fix this, but I haven't tried yet.

There is, apparently minor differences in the magazines of the guns produced in different eras, so there is no "automatic" fit. Mags that look identical to my original so far, have not worked. Maybe I've got an oddball gun, I don't know.

A friend of mine says the features of the HSc were done the way they are, to get around Walther's patents.

The HSc is a piece of history, bigger and heavier than the latest pocket pistols, and if that matters, its not for you. I kind of like the fact that if the .32 rounds don't make enough of an impression, the steel HSc will when I hit them with it.

because, bottom line, if all fails, your pistol IS an impact weapon. And that might be what makes the difference. Think about that while you enjoy the lightness of modern combat Tupperware.
Old November 5, 2014, 11:34 PM   #20
Ibmikey

Austin TX, Sometimes these old threads appear by magic but never fail to just pick up and go on. The OP probably fired (or attempted to) the HSC and found that many of them would not feed anything, even ball but I'm sure others functioned ok. Most post war HSC pistols suffered finish wise, had sharp corners, heavy as beans and had feed issues, it is a complex pistol with it's own "mystique" the original design was for the 7.65 cartridge.
Maybe the next post will be four years from now and keep the topic moving :-)
Old November 6, 2014, 04:27 PM   #21
James K
Member In Memoriam

The normal functioning of the HSc (and also the 1910, 1914 and 1934 models) is that the slide locks back when the magazine is empty, or when it is retracted with no magazine in place. The magazine (if present) can then be removed, and the slide stays back. It is only when a magazine (whether loaded or not) is inserted that the slide will go forward.

Experienced users, wanting to retract the slide to check the chamber, will retract the slide, partially remove the magazine, then shove it back in, releasing the slide.

The concept is fine and reloading is fast. A loaded magazine can be inserted and the chamber loaded automatically with no need to fumble for a slide stop or pull back the slide to release one. But that speed is bought at the cost of a complex mechanism that often goes haywire. In fairness, failure is often the result of an ignorant user trying to force the slide forward or to make the mechanism work in a way it is not designed to do.

Jim
Old November 7, 2014, 12:17 PM   #22
44 AMP
Staff

so, mine is not functioning "normally"?

It locks back on an empty mag, but when the mag is pulled, the slide closes.
Old November 7, 2014, 03:10 PM   #23
James K
Member In Memoriam

No, it isn't. The correct operation is as I described. The idea is that when the magazine is empty, the slide locks back and stays back until a loaded magazine is inserted, then the slide closes automatically, chambering the first round. With yours, you would have to insert the loaded magazine, then operate the slide to chamber a round.

Jim
Old December 4, 2015, 06:54 PM   #24
101combatvet

I have a American Eagle HSc, the last 5,000 made. It has never jammed, excellent craftsmanship. One of only two self-loading pistols ever made. Mine is in 380 ACP.
Old December 4, 2015, 07:25 PM   #25
Kosh75287

I've shot a half dozen Walther PP(whatever)s over the years in .22, .32, and .380. Probably 500 rounds, all calibers combined. I've shot 2 HScs, both .380, about 100 rounds each.

With anything resembling decent ammunition, all firearms were very reliable. I invariably printed tighter groups with the Walthers than the Mausers (I blame the sights on the Mausers), but the small amount of "instinctive shooting" I did was better with the Mausers. I liked every one of them that filled my hand, and would be hard-pressed to have to choose one over the other.

انجلو. المسلحة. جاهزة. Carpe SCOTCH!