The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 18, 2018, 06:50 PM   #1
K1NG

Introduction and a Question

Hello everyone, as far as revolvers go I have eight, they range from my Taurus 94 all the way up to my 500 Smith. Recently however I came across a deal I simply could not pass up, I purchased a Dan Wesson in 445 SuperMag. It came with needed reloading supplies, one hundred virgin brass and a medley of reloads. Overall the gun is beautiful, but I've noticed with the hand loads, even factory loads it shaves lead. I sent it back to CZ, they apparently " fixed the timing issue " through careful study of the gun it seems to shave lead on only two cylinders. So I took it to a master gun smith, he charged an arm and a leg for him to basically tell me to keep the gun clean...

My question is has anyone ever had this problem? If so how did you fix it, as it stands I don't want to get rid of the gun, I like it too much. And to stop any similar suggestions I cleaned it in between the two shaving holes, it still shaves lead. Any help is appreciated- King
Old January 19, 2018, 01:24 AM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Check to see if the cylinder is locking up out of alignment. It sounds like it is, and if so, the cylinder is probably bored out of line. There is probably no real answer except to replace the cylinder. Since the factory has seen the gun and not done that, I can only suggest calling them again and asking for help. (Avoiding nasty words, if possible, may help.)

As a general rule, one should probably beware of those deals that one cannot pass up.

Jim
Old January 19, 2018, 09:44 PM   #3
K1NG

Thank you Jim, I'll have to check it out, it struck me so odd coming from Dan Wesson/CZ, I've had relatively good luck with their customer service thus far, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.