The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old January 17, 2018, 08:22 PM   #51
Northof50

Model12Win - Sorry friend. I'm lost. I don't believe any assumptions were made in my post. I paraphrased a quote and interpreted a question.

What assumption was made? Did you not put thought into your modifications?
Old January 17, 2018, 08:38 PM   #52
Model12Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northof50 View Post
Model12Win - Sorry friend. I'm lost. I don't believe any assumptions were made in my post. I paraphrased a quote and interpreted a question.

What assumption was made? Did you not put thought into your modifications?
No I did, or tried to. I must have misunderstood you, my bad!
Old January 17, 2018, 08:41 PM   #53
Northof50

DubC-Hicks - are you asking if I've gone through an exercise in which I find my defensive pistol in the dark, can I tell the difference between a family member living in my home and a stranger who broke in, and can I hit a man size target while under some level of stress? Yes. I hope you can as well.
Old January 17, 2018, 08:44 PM   #54
Northof50

Model12Win - No problem. I kept rereading my post to see if I mis-typed something or spell check changed something :-).

As I originally posted, I like the Beretta - just not into modding - and love the Mora's

If you ever get a chance, there is a knife maker in PA - David R Beck. I have a few of his knives. They are awesome. He made the original Tom Brown Tracker for the movie with Tommy Lee Jones [cannot remember the movie name]
Old January 17, 2018, 08:50 PM   #55
DubC-Hicks

Northof50, but have you done it when just woken up, still drowsy, and with the real stress of a real home invasion?

I've been through a lot of training in my career. Also a lot of real life situations. When it comes to real life scenarios, training always does help and come into play. But training is not the same as the real deal.

Actually getting out and training is the first step though, and I'm glad to hear you're doing it. Gotta be prepared for anything these days
Old January 17, 2018, 09:16 PM   #56
TunnelRat

Quote:
What I took from the post was that a lot of emphasis and thought was put on modifying the tool, was there minimal thought on using it?
I don't see why the two would be or have to be mutually exclusive. I took this thread as someone sharing what his setup was for a personal defense pistol. I don't see him stating that his setup precludes the basic steps to self defense, nor is this the Tactics subforum (which we do have). I do believe there has been some assumption in this thread by multiple people that in sharing this setup Model somehow is disregarding any importance on training and is simply parroting things he has seen. That's simply my interpretation of some of the posts here.
Maintain situational awareness
Old January 17, 2018, 09:19 PM   #57
Northof50

DubC-Hicks - Yes. Our dog started barking frantically - about 2:40am. We had a smash and grab in our driveway - my son's car. Pistol found easily [sitting on my side table when I go to bed]. Cleared the house the best I could [probably not very well] in an attempt to OK kids. Found the dog scratching at the door. Opened the door - let the dog out and followed. Smashed in side window and some stuff stolen from the car. The dog's frantic bark was the most alarming.

Training is not supposed to be the real thing. It is supposed to create habits so that when the real thing occurs, muscle memory and habit step in when the brain is functioning in a different mode.

Now, I'll state openly - my occurrence was far from a home invasion. Nobody was ever in any real danger [unless I did something stupid...wouldn't be the first time]. But, when the dog started barking...the heartbeat was moving at a pretty good rate. Funny the stupid things that go through your head.
Old January 17, 2018, 09:23 PM   #58
Northof50

TunnelRat - asking a question is not an assumption. I certainly cannot speak/write for anyone else - but, because my line was quoted, I made no assumptions.
Old January 17, 2018, 09:26 PM   #59
TunnelRat

Fair enough. My interpretations are my interpretations.
Maintain situational awareness
Old January 17, 2018, 10:06 PM   #60
2damnold4this

The handgun seems fine to me and you can't do better than a scandi/Mora knife for general purpose bushcraft use.
Old January 17, 2018, 10:54 PM   #61
Model12Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
I don't see why the two would be or have to be mutually exclusive. I took this thread as someone sharing what his setup was for a personal defense pistol. I don't see him stating that his setup precludes the basic steps to self defense, nor is this the Tactics subforum (which we do have). I do believe there has been some assumption in this thread by multiple people that in sharing this setup Model somehow is disregarding any importance on training and is simply parroting things he has seen. That's simply my interpretation of some of the posts here.
Thank you TR I was kind of getting that feeling.

Guys I doubt I have as much training or experience as you but I have qualified and used the M9 in the military for 7 years and shoot every chance I get. I know I need to take some defensive shooting classes but if it helps in the least (which it probably doesn't) I have read multiple books from Mas Ayoob and others on self defense shootings and have watched many YouTube videos... hey, it's something!

Just was sharing my home defense pistol with you all and wanting to see if you liked it or more importantly had any recommendations for or against the modifications I've done to it in order to boost its effectiveness in the role. I never stated I don't need to train with the gun or that I do not train, which is not true. Thank you for your time.

M12
Old January 18, 2018, 08:01 AM   #62
dgludwig

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post

Quote: Thank you TR I was kind of getting that feeling.
Same here.
Old January 18, 2018, 08:49 PM   #63
silverbullet6oh
Registration in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northof50 View Post

If you ever get a chance, there is a knife maker in PA - David R Beck. I have a few of his knives. They are awesome. He made the original Tom Brown Tracker for the movie with Tommy Lee Jones [cannot remember the movie name]
The Hunted....... I think is the movie your talking about.

-P
Old January 18, 2018, 09:43 PM   #64
Cheapshooter

To reiterate my original post. Over thought, and over done. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the gun you have carried all day as a HD weapon. Add a flashlight in your hand, done.
If what you carry all day as an EDC isn't good enough for home defence. why do you carry it all day?
If it makes you happy to add all the extras, have at it. The accessory market is very happy.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 18, 2018, 10:00 PM   #65
TheGunGeek

I own both the M9A1 & M9A3's. The only other modification I would recommend on this one would be the oversize magazine release (available on Beretta's website). It's a great, accurate gun.

If you ever get the M9A3 sometime in the future, I would consider adding a silencer for the home defense pistol.
Old January 18, 2018, 11:38 PM   #66
K_Mac

Cheapshooter I don't understand your need to reiterate your disapproval. You made it pretty clear in your original post.

I also don't understand what makes this pistol over thought or over done. The replacement steel parts may not be required, but many here replace original parts because they prefer another material. Seems like a justifiable choice to me. The night sights, lighter spring, safety changes and more comfortable grips are modifications that defensibly make the pistol easier to use. A mounted light is a very common addition to home defense guns, whether you or I like them or not.

M12 asked us to rate his pistol. We can do that without being disagreeable.
Old January 19, 2018, 02:29 AM   #67
Cheapshooter

Since when is an honest opinion disrespectful?
The 92 SF is a great gun the way it comes. I have one, and see no need to mess with it. Why add a bunch of unnecessary parts? The OP asked to rate it, I did. Just not into technicool Rambo stuff on guns intended for SD.
The 870 I posted earlier was just something I threw together for grins Just to see what kind of Rambo stuff I could hang on it. HD, no, it stays in the safe. My HD gun is the unmodified Springer XD40 Sub Compact I carry every day, and a streamlight flashlight.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 19, 2018, 07:43 AM   #68
TunnelRat

I don’t see anything “Rambo” about this pistol, but to each his own I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old January 19, 2018, 07:58 AM   #69
rodfac

Looks good to me Model12...

The light attached to the rail = you're not fumbling with a flashlight to identify an intruder in the bedroom, and yes it will illuminate without "covering" anything you don't want to shoot....I've got one on my Sig P226 Mk25. Attached to the gun, it's one less thing you've got to pick up on the way to our safe place. For a different purpose, equally useful, our local county police have them attached to their duty weapons.

The Tritium night sights = good if the light goes out, or all by themselves. Got 'em on my Sig and have used them in near complete darkness for raccoons in our horse feed out at the barn.

Extra magazines if I read your post right = we live :30 from any law enforcement help on the best of nights, those extra mags might come in handy if you need to barricade your family til the posse arrives.

And the rest 'fits' the gun to your hands and manual of arms...no problems/suggestions there either.

Nice job...Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; January 19, 2018 at 08:31 AM.
Old January 20, 2018, 10:14 PM   #70
Model12Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodfac View Post
Looks good to me Model12...

The light attached to the rail = you're not fumbling with a flashlight to identify an intruder in the bedroom, and yes it will illuminate without "covering" anything you don't want to shoot....I've got one on my Sig P226 Mk25. Attached to the gun, it's one less thing you've got to pick up on the way to our safe place. For a different purpose, equally useful, our local county police have them attached to their duty weapons.

The Tritium night sights = good if the light goes out, or all by themselves. Got 'em on my Sig and have used them in near complete darkness for raccoons in our horse feed out at the barn.

Extra magazines if I read your post right = we live :30 from any law enforcement help on the best of nights, those extra mags might come in handy if you need to barricade your family til the posse arrives.

And the rest 'fits' the gun to your hands and manual of arms...no problems/suggestions there either.

Nice job...Rod
Thank you, Rod!
Old January 21, 2018, 06:56 PM   #71
Go_Ordnance

Looks good. Mine is similar, but has the Wilson trigger and guide rod; and brown VZ grips.
Old January 21, 2018, 07:26 PM   #72
Targa

Since you asked to rate it I am with the gun is good without anything else crowd. To each their own, if it works for you then it is highly rated.
Old January 21, 2018, 08:00 PM   #73
GeauxTide

My Home combo is a Springfield 1911 and an 870 Tactical because I want large holes at close range. The way a street light illuminates the downstairs, I don't need a light. Also, a flashlight ruins night vision inside the house.
Old January 21, 2018, 09:21 PM   #74
ThomasT

I think I will stick with the same model 15 I have used for the last 25+ years. If I went with a semi auto it would be a box stock Glock 19. But if the OP likes it then fine by me.

I am not much on gizmo guns.
Old January 21, 2018, 09:34 PM   #75
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxTide View Post
My Home combo is a Springfield 1911 and an 870 Tactical because I want large holes at close range. The way a street light illuminates the downstairs, I don't need a light. Also, a flashlight ruins night vision inside the house.

Yup light ruins night vision, but identifying your target is pretty essential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Closed Thread