The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 20, 2018, 10:11 PM   #1
TXAZ

Ultrasonic cleaner, if you have one, what do you think?

Trying to clean some guns, I understand these can often do a better job than manual cleaning.
If you have one, what do you think, and which would you recommend?

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old October 20, 2018, 10:46 PM   #2
TruthTellers

On anything that's not brass, they're great.

What are you looking to clean?
Old October 20, 2018, 11:19 PM   #3
MarkCO

Love mine. Saves me many hours.

I have the medium sized Hornady and I use the Lucas Oil Bore Solvent/Ultrasonic Cleaner.
Old October 20, 2018, 11:22 PM   #4
ms6852

I love cleaning the cylinders on the revolvers and the barrels on my 1911's and bolts on other AR's. They work good, just be careful that no type of polymers go in as it will get pitted.
Old October 21, 2018, 07:41 AM   #5
jpx2rk

Never tried gun parts, but for brass, did not care for the method. Boxed it back up and stored in the garage.
Old October 21, 2018, 04:44 PM   #6
Dfariswheel

You can buy a cheap Chinese made unit from Harbor Freight to decide if you like it. If/when it burns out you can either buy another of buy a better brand.
The better brands are expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Amazon sell a lot of US cleaners including the top of the line types.
If you like US cleaning, buy as good a model as you can afford.

Here's some info from an old post, updated.....

The good points:

They really clean. US gets into even the tiniest hole or crevice and makes the parts surgically clean.

They usually clean FAST. Drop a dirty part in, and the dirt actually BOILS off in a cloud. Some fouling may take longer.

They DEEP clean, getting crud you normally don't even see and gets into areas that normally you can't get to with other methods.

They're especially good on harder fouling. (Ultrasonics work better on hard dirt).

You don't have to disassembly things. Ultrasonics are used by watchmakers to avoid having to disassembly some small components.
Firearms parts are huge by comparison.

They work with a variety of solutions. Water with detergent works on many types of dirt, so you often don't HAVE to use a volatile solvent.
You can buy various cleaning solutions based on what you're cleaning these days now that reloading companies are selling US cleaners and various solutions.

The solution is heated up by the ultrasonic action. Warm solution cleans even better. Many tanks have a built-in heater also.
Let the unit run a few minutes to drive out air and allow the solution to start heating. You can also pre-heat the solution by putting the container in hot water.

You can put an inch of water in the bottom and use small glass or plastic cups to hold solvent and small parts.
The ultrasonic waves are transmitted by the water in the bottom through the beakers or jars.
This allows using even highly flammable solvents in small amounts.

You can use the tank for MANY cleaning jobs, Paint brushes, dirty watch bands, electric razor heads, eyeglasses, you're wife's jewelry, car parts, ANYTHING that you can fit into the tanks and won't be harmed by the solution or US waves will clean up surgically clean.

The bad:
KEEP YOUR FINGERS OUT OF THE TANK.
Ultrasonics and bone marrow don't play well together.
This isn't something that happens instantly, it's over time.

Ultrasonics don't work on copper fouling and not well on leading, so you still need to use standard brushes, patches, and bore solvent to clean bores and chambers.

Expense. The larger tanks are COSTLY. However, if you want to clean a stripped pistol or small parts, one of the smaller $150.00 range tanks will work fine.
You CAN put a portion of a frame or slide in the tank at a time.
After cleaning it, turn it over and clean the other half.

Any solvent that will attack plastic or gun finishes, will attack it FASTER in ultrasonics.
As example the strong soap cleaners like the original Simply Green will literally EAT aluminum and the anodized coating and will do so faster in a US cleaner.

You've got to be careful to apply a THOROUGH coat of anti-rust lube after cleaning. Ultrasonics remove ALL grease and lube, leaving the part absolutely bare, including in tiny holes and crevices that ordinarily cleaning never touches.

They don't work quite as well on soft gummy grease as harder dirt. You can speed things up by pulling parts out and scrubbing with a brush.

They're electronic and heat the solvent. You have to be careful with flammables.

Advice:
If possible buy a basket that holds parts off the bottom or make up wire hangers. Ultrasonics work better when the parts are suspended in the solution instead of laying on the bottom of the tank.

A tank cover is nice to hold down fumes.

Some larger tanks have a built in drain. BE CAREFUL. Some solvents may attack these and you can wind up with a floor covered in hot solvent.
This is one reason never to walk away and leave a US cleaner unattended.

NEVER run the unit when the tank is dry even for a few seconds, it'll burn out.

Be careful what cleaning solution you use. You can pull the item out and find finish or plastic parts GONE.

Be careful with Tritium sights, and sights with any kind of inserts or dots. Many can be damaged or removed in the tank.
Painted sight or safety marking will eventually be removed by even water, and a many solvents will remove the paint almost instantly.

The small tanks sold in discount stores for cleaning false teeth and jewelry really don't work too well, and most of them aren't even real ultrasonic units.

One gun cleaner solution that works well is Cylinder & Slide Shop's "Dunk-It".
This is a cleaning solvent mixed with a lubricant.
The intent is to soak the gun in the bucket, but it can be used in a US cleaner. This cleans the gun and leaves a lubricant in all areas to prevent rust and lubricate. However, I'd still use a dedicated lubricant in key areas.
The down side is the cost.

Ordinary cheap paint thinner works well as does kerosene, but NEVER walk away from it because these are flammable.

Running a gun in a rinse is pretty much a waste of time.
If you use a water based cleaner you can rinse the gun by holding it under a faucet running hot water, or swishing it in a sink of hot water.
The heat will allow the metal to dry fast.

With solvents, rinsing is usually not needed unless the solvent is really dirty.
Then dipping it in clean solvent is enough.

To dry parts use a hair dryer....NOTE: Hair dryer, NOT oven, torch, or heat gun. Shake the parts off or blow off with compressed air to remove the excess and prevent a fire with solvents before using the hair dryer.

You MUST get a rust preventing coat of lube into all areas to prevent rusting.
Most liquid lubes like CLP Breakfree will creep and spread into most areas.
You can also use a fine spray like Rem-Oil.
I've used CLP with a cheap air brush to get lube into tight areas, BUT... don't breath the fumes, you won't like it.
Old October 21, 2018, 07:43 PM   #7
TXAZ

Thanks Dfariswheel.
Anyone out there have the big Lyman ~38” wide) or have an opinion on it?

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old October 24, 2018, 08:24 AM   #8
Destructo6

This one has been kicked around quite a few times, so try searching for more info.

Ultrasonic cleaning works by cavitation, so your cleaning solution must be water-based. Crest ultrasonic solution 235 is pretty awesome and comes in a 1 gallon concentrate (12oz per 15 gallons or similar dilution).

Heat is a must for gun parts. Not only does it clean better, but the water based cleaning solution will evaporate off the parts so you can lube it without having to dry every crevice.

It might strip off cheap finishes. Paint comes right off, as will finishes like found on most black painted AKs (Bulgarian SLRs).

Hot sludge can move around and creep into places you didn't know existed. It's not a short cut to a clean gun, it's part of a deep cleaning program.

Not good for aluminium (22lr suppressor baffles) and other soft metals. The cavitation can cause pitting over time.

it will remove every bit of oil from everywhere, so be prepared to lube it up to prevent rust.

Keep all of them clean.
Old October 24, 2018, 10:57 AM   #9
MarkCO

Quote:
Ultrasonic cleaning works by cavitation, so your cleaning solution must be water-based
FALSE.

In fact, water based is inferior to solvent based US solutions for most applications, and certainly firearms parts.
Old October 24, 2018, 02:10 PM   #10
ARgon

Thank you for that long post. You have answered every question I've had for years about that.
Old October 25, 2018, 08:14 AM   #11
Destructo6

Water is going to cavitate better than an oil and is intrinsically safe, especially if you are going to use heat.

Keep all of them clean.
Old October 25, 2018, 08:38 AM   #12
MarkCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructo6 View Post
Water is going to cavitate better than an oil and is intrinsically safe, especially if you are going to use heat.
Still false. There are oils, and solvents, that have lower specific gravity than water. Some have no VOCs and are safe with heat. I run the Lucas Oil bore cleaner with heat. I have held a torch over the tub...no issues at all. Using a solvent takes less time, cleans better and you have no issues with needed to disperse the water. Far superior.
Old October 25, 2018, 03:11 PM   #13
M88

Have used an US only for a few months now. GREAT for CLEANING parts. Agree it gets in ALL nooks and crannies like nothing else can. So, agree with dfariswheel, who pretty much summed up pros and cons pretty well. One thing though, my brass DOES come out more shiny and with a more polished look when using either the vibrator with medium (don't like the fine dust it puts into the air though) and also my rotating drum full of detergent with the little stainless steel pins which really polish the brass. On some of my rounds, especially some of the more expensive rifle rounds, I'll de-prime first, then run through the US for 10 minutes to clean, and THEN run through the vibrator or the drum to "polish" the brass and it comes out super clean. I know... lot of work there... but hey, it's FUN ENJOYABLE "work".

One more note... got a hold of a ton of older .303 Brit brass, some of which was discolored and pretty nasty looking but still viable brass to reload. Ran through the US and it came out pretty well, but the discolored rounds were still discolored. Ran THOSE through the rotating drum with steel pins and that pretty much took care of even the discoloration in all but the worst cases. So.. LOVE my US but for a few situations it's not the be all end all.
Old October 25, 2018, 03:39 PM   #14
Bill DeShivs

I would never use a flammable liquid in an ultrasonic cleaner.
You can displace any remaining water or water-based cleaners by flushing with WD 40.
No-it won't "gum up."
Old October 27, 2018, 06:37 PM   #15
Scorch

Quote:
Anyone out there have the big Lyman ~38” wide) or have an opinion on it?
I have one of the large Lyman units. It's 36" long, I can put a whole barreled action or shotgun into it. It is great! Cleaning a gun used to be a nasty, grimy, messy job. Now it's as easy as disassemble, put in ultrasonic with heat on to 180 degrees, let it soak for 20-30 minutes, hit it with the ultrasonic a few times while soaking, take it out, lube it, reassemble.

As far as what to use in the tank, water only, no flammables. There are cleaners sold that are specifically for ultrasonics. Don't skimp or try weird stuff, just buy the cleaners they sell for ultrasonic cleaners.

Quote:
To dry parts use a hair dryer.
Nope. The tank is heated, all ultrasonics I have used are heated. Some are hotter than others. I'm sure there are smaller units that do not have heaters, but I never used one. The hot metal evaporates any water on it within seconds, and the warm metal really soaks up the oil when I lube it. Very seldom do I have to brush anything except the bore. The hardest part was learning which cleaner works best in the water. A little trial and error, and I settled on a cleaner that doesn't leave any residue.

Was it worth the $1,300 I paid for it? Definitely.

Last edited by Scorch; October 27, 2018 at 06:49 PM.