The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 15, 2012, 01:37 PM   #1
JimDandy

Chargemaster or Autocharge?

I've been looking at these two powder thrower/scale combinations, and wondering if anyone has had both and can compare and contrast. The RCBS Chargemaster combo seems to get better overall reviews.

There's another one made by PACT that seems to get the same complaints as the Hornady one in reviews, though people make the statement that it looks like a "Generic" version of a previous model RCBS scale/thower
Old November 15, 2012, 02:28 PM   #2
1stmar

No experience with either the rcbs or the pact but i have the hornady and love it. It's easy to use, consistent and accurate. Been a huge plus.
Old November 15, 2012, 02:44 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

PACT made the original RCBS on an OEM basis, but they later commissioned their own design. Of all the reviews I've seen, the newer RCBS design most consistently gets the most favorable comments.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 15, 2012, 03:00 PM   #4
mrawesome22

Have owned the Auto Charge for a couple years now. Absolutely love this thing.

Turned a chore into a pleasure.

It cranks out charges that are dead on when against 2 other scales.

My only addition would be an option to turn down the beep volume, or off altogether.

They must have had old farts with hearing aids in mind when they programmed that thing.... I'll need it that loud one of these days.
Old November 15, 2012, 03:04 PM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
My only addition would be an option to turn down the beep volume, or off altogether.
You can turn it off. I don't remember how but mine is off.
Old November 15, 2012, 03:10 PM   #6
twins

+1 for RCBS Chargemaster Combo. Mine is accurate and well worth the money. The only complaint I have is the plastic (powder dispenser) can get static-sticky with small grain powder (ex, power pistol) and a pain to drain all the powder back into container.
Old November 15, 2012, 03:32 PM   #7
mrawesome22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Pfleuger View Post
You can turn it off. I don't remember how but mine is off.
I'll be damned. I read the destructions 3 times looking for it. Must have missed it.

Actually, mine only came with a quick start leaflet. Maybe the full destructions didn't get tossed in the box?
Old November 15, 2012, 03:47 PM   #8
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Here is a bunch of helpful stuff..

http://www.accurateshooter.com/gear-...-chargemaster/

To turn off the beep, hold down the Zero button until "Beep Off" is displayed.
Old November 15, 2012, 03:57 PM   #9
mrawesome22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Pfleuger View Post
Here is a bunch of helpful stuff..

http://www.accurateshooter.com/gear-...-chargemaster/

To turn off the beep, hold down the Zero button until "Beep Off" is displayed.
I don't think green destructions will work on my red auto charge.

And here I was all excited lol.
Old November 15, 2012, 04:04 PM   #10
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

OOh darn. I get those names confused. Sorry.
Old November 15, 2012, 04:06 PM   #11
JimDandy

Is it static, or is it sticky Twins? For static, I suggest a Bounce (or any brand really) Dryer sheet. Wipe the plastic down with it like it was a paper towel. Of course, now that I rememer you're dealing with powder not the paper I was fighting when learning about dryer sheets and static, I might also suggest then wiping off the plastic with a paper towel to get rid of any residue from the dryer sheet until a chem. professor can weigh in...

if it's sticky, try some of the Hornady One shot cleaner. I just ran that stuf on my new Hornady dies, the All-Purpose Tool with the 4x whatever and Dynaglide, not the case lube or the gun cleaner, and it worked pretty well for me.

And that's right, if it aint red, it stays in the shed, and that's what makes you Mr Awesome
Old November 15, 2012, 04:53 PM   #12
justsoIcanupvotethis

I love my ChargeMasterCombo. It has been replaced once and there is supposed to be another one in the mail again to replace this one. First one quit completely RCBS says they had some bad castings that were causing problems. The one that replaced it has a problem with Winchester 231 and 5 to 6 grain charges. They are supposed to be send me one that has been tested to throw 5.5 of 231 but I havent seen it yet. The one I have will throw 4.9 dead on all day long but wont stop between 5.0 to 6.2 without going over by a bunch. All other powders and weights it works perfectly.
Old November 15, 2012, 07:13 PM   #13
David Bachelder

+ on the rcbs chargemaster. you can also get a fifty dollar rebate.
Old November 15, 2012, 08:40 PM   #14
twins

JimDandy,
I believe it is more static that's causing my powder-cling problem with the small grain (ball) powder. The larger grain powder (such as IMR4350) empties easily. Thanks for the dryer sheet suggestion, will try it. Not sure how to get the sheet down in the small area-crevice near the empty dispenser. I can see serious static-powder-cling on the open surface, my worry is the area I can't see near the empty dispenser.
Old November 16, 2012, 10:03 AM   #15
rox

I used the RCBS ChargeMaster for a couple of years. It worked fairly well, and if operated with care it certainly met or exceeded the manufacturers' performance claims. The limiting factor in this type of unit is the balance. You don't get a good quality balance (such as a force-restoration load-cell) for this kind of money, so the device has the limitations of a strain-gauge balance, i.e. drift, temperature sensitivity, response speed etc. But if the dispense speed and charge accuracy meet your needs it is a good tool.

Old November 16, 2012, 02:35 PM   #16
JimDandy

Well part of static builds up from rolling around, and by the way if you're not supposed to vaccuum powder because the static electricity will ignite it, why am I suddenly worried about you and your powder?

Anyway, back on idea... I'm visualizing rather that speaking from experience here So take the theory and apply with hands on experience if you so desire... but I'd wipe down the bigger storage hopper, and that should prevent most of the static from beginning... to get into the smaller areas, I'd either wipe down the outside of a tube hoping it draws the static out, or try a gunsmith's pick you usually use for cleaning. I've got lots of practice using a pick to clean carbon from the nooks and crannies of my 1911's frame.