The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 17, 2018, 10:38 PM   #1
cvl78

Bullet Seating - Similar Bullet Differences

I am fairly new to reloading, and have been able to learn a lot from forums and YouTube videos. However, I can't find an answer to this question.

I am reloading .223 and have been using Nosler Varmageddon 55gr. FB Tipped bullets, seated to 2.260". I picked up some Nosler Varmageddon 55gr FBHT bullets and started to also seat them to 2.260" inches, from the Nosler loading data sheet.

However, I noticed that the seating depths are different, with the tipped bullet being seated quite a bit deeper than the HP bullet. As you can see in the picture I attached.

Is this something to be concerned about and to contact Nosler regarding, or is this normal to have bullets seated to different depths?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unnamed.jpg (93.5 KB, 47 views)
Old February 17, 2018, 10:59 PM   #2
DaleA

Just to be sure, are these the bullets you're talking about?
https://www.nosler.com/varmageddon-bullet/
Old February 17, 2018, 11:20 PM   #3
Yosemite Steve

https://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/223-remington/

The way I read it is that the recommended COL for the hollow tip is 2.230". The bullet will be seated deeper but it looks like the ogive should be about the same distance from the case head giving nearly the same pressure and velocity. If you seat it there and use the same charge your velocity according to Quickload will drop about 30 fps using 23 grains of N133. Do not rely on that data it is a mock up.

You have little to worry about if you seat to the recommended depths.

Last edited by Yosemite Steve; February 18, 2018 at 08:47 AM.
Old February 18, 2018, 05:36 AM   #4
old roper

This may help

http://www.appliedballisticsllc.com/...COMPARISON.pdf
NRA Life Member
Old February 18, 2018, 02:22 PM   #5
RC20

In general, different bullets have different shapes and often are seated to different depths.

If they list one common depth, its a safe one to stay out of the lands.

If you shoot a bolt action its easy to determine that.

A semi auto is a different story. In general I think the magazine limits the length to a safe distance, ergo you don't get a jam into the lands and a cartridge not fully seated.

Sierra notes where a lady won an AR shooting event, her bullet seating was long and in order to work, had to single load. Kind of makes you think you should use a bolt action gun!
Old February 18, 2018, 06:23 PM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

cvl78,

Welcome to the forum.

As Steve pointed out, you seem to have misread the data for the COL Nosler reported for the FBHT by 0.030". That is about 1/3 of the bullet length difference and probably is about the difference in length you would have if you lined the bullets up side by side with their ogive shoulders in the same place (this shoulder is where the cylindrical bearing surface ends and the ogive begins), with greater length being due to the plastic tip. This will give both bullets about the same jump to the lands. The shorter bullet will have a slightly lower peak pressure and velocity with a given charge weight because its base is not occupying as much of the powder space when seated as recommended. However, most load manuals that use the same charge with multiple bullets are satisfied if their velocities are within about 50 fps of one another. There is that much difference and often more just going between different rifles of the same barrel length. It's due to chamber and bore tolerances, mainly, and to a lesser extent to differences in the striker or firing pin impact energies and etc.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 18, 2018, 06:43 PM   #7
DaleA

Quote:
The shorter bullet will have a slightly lower peak pressure and velocity with a given charge weight because its base is not occupying as much of the powder space when seated as recommended.
I think this is the answer to the key question. I know you've answered questions about case capacity and increased pressure before but thanks for answering it again and explaining the answer.
Old February 18, 2018, 06:55 PM   #8
cvl78

Thanks for the input. I was getting my length from this site for the 55gr varmaggedon’s, both have a 2.260 length. https://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/223-remington/

I have worked up loads and been to the range for the tipped bullet. I am working up some for the HP and will just go shoot and see how they perform.

Last edited by cvl78; February 18, 2018 at 07:00 PM.
Old February 18, 2018, 06:58 PM   #9
Don Fischer

Look at the two bullet's and the tipped bullet is longer than the HP. OLL if you didn't change the seating die will be the same and I suspect both bullet's will be in about the same position compared to the lands. The longer bullet will be seated deeper.

Last edited by Don Fischer; February 18, 2018 at 07:09 PM.