The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 26, 2011, 10:34 PM   #1
meatcutter

missouri bullets

I have just started loading lead bullets for my 38 and 357 in 158 gr swc. For the 38 Ive been using 3.8grains of titegroup and in the 357 using 5grains of titegroup. went to the range today to try them out, they shoot great in both calibers but smoked like heck. Is there a better powder to use to get less smoke or is it just the lead bullets. Thanks for any advice I can get
Old December 26, 2011, 10:39 PM   #2
mrayw

Missouri Bullets

Missouri Bullets work very well for me. All lead bullets smoke,the smoke comes from the hot lube which keeps leading to a minimum.
Old December 27, 2011, 12:09 PM   #3
gspman

Meatcutter Ihave not tried titegroup powder before but i have read on this forum that people have said that titegroup has a caused more smoke than other powders in same cartridges using same bullets.I dont know if this is true or not.Cast bullets do smoke more but i hardly notice it when i am shooting.As has been said it is the lube that is burning.Try a different powder and and see if you see a difference between them.GSPMAN
Old December 27, 2011, 12:32 PM   #4
JACK308

I tryed them there ok but leave to much LEAD BEHIND! I now use laser cast.
Old December 27, 2011, 12:38 PM   #5
Jeff H

Never used Titegroup so I can't help you with that. I use mostly HP-38 and there is some black smoke and soot from the lube, but it isn't that bad. Bullseye is a little smokier and I don't use it much anymore because of that.

For 357 mag, I use 2400. There doesn't seem to be too much smoke at all.

One interesting observation: I hardly get any smoke at all with either 38 spl or 357mag when shot out of my 1892 carbine. I don't really know why it would be any different than the revolvers, but it is.
Old January 1, 2012, 09:46 AM   #6
Peter M. Eick

Interesting. I use a lot of lasercast and am switching over to MBC because of the costs and the similar lack of lead.

One of the key differences I see is that with wimp loads MBC leaves less lead than lasercast. Lasercast is really good but over time a light buildup comes up with trailboss 38 loads. MBC does not do this.

The best comment I can leave is that I bought around 8000 bullets from MBC yesterday. When I compared the prices between Lasercast and MBC, I could not justify it.

I will continue to use Lasercast for my real magnum loads and my 357 Maximum. Their bullets are really hard and when you drive them fast (greater than 1500) they preform better than MBC in my experience.
Old January 1, 2012, 11:58 PM   #7
oldreloader

I've had good luck with MBC bullets in both 9MM and 45 ACP.
Old January 2, 2012, 09:26 AM   #8
steve4102

According to Precision Black bullets, "if you are having to much smoke, switch to a slower powder". TG is a very fast powder and burns very hot. Precision also has a "do not use" warning for TG with their bullets.
I would try a slower powder and see if the smoke clears just a little.

In my 10MM I get a lot of smoke with Missouri bullets and Unique. With AA #7 and Silhouette I get a lot less smoke.
Old January 2, 2012, 01:19 PM   #9
Servant

Lead bullets

I have been noticing that most of you use lead bullets, and I have heard that they dirty a barrel a bit more, from the lead. I realize that once over a certain pressure the lead will begin to melt. What I am wondering is...cleanup. Is it harder to get lead out of a barrel than copper? I clean my weapons after a shoot them, is there a difference? I am considering trying some in my handgun for $$$ reasons.
Old January 2, 2012, 01:34 PM   #10
Rifleman1776

I have shot countless thousands of hard cast lead, lubed, bullets from my .44 mag. I have never had smoke or a dirty bore.
I have never used your Tite-whatever powder. I'll betcha that is the source of smoke.
When I shoot my muzzle loading guns with real black powder I get smoke. Yer supposed to then.
Old January 2, 2012, 01:37 PM   #11
oldreloader

I don't shoot anything but lead in 9MM and 45 ACP. If you get your load right there should be little if any leading. I DO NOT have a problem.
Old January 2, 2012, 03:50 PM   #12
steve4102

Quote:
Is it harder to get lead out of a barrel than copper? I clean my weapons after a shoot them, is there a difference? I am considering trying some in my handgun for $$$ reasons.
Lead can be wiped away with an undersized brass brush wrapped in a few strands of all copper Chore-Boy. Copper has to be dissolved away with chemicals and solvents.

I remove copper with a good soaking of Wipe-Out. I remove lead in seconds with the Chore-Boy.